Hardware If the Switch's screen is at the absolute minimum then does the battery last longer?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,481
  • Replies 9
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I tried the Switch with the brightness to completely minimum and while it does look rather dark does it improve the battery?

I'm thinking about playing the Switch more on portable mode and that wouldn't include having a power bank or any other accessories to charge it up.

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, a bit of theory here : any screen uses lightsource to display images. So brightness means that yhe lights are brighter so they use more energy. HOWEVER! Using Dark themes will help you A LOT! Why? A "black pixel" is actually "not a pixel" but a light turned off in the screen. Don't freak out, it's normal and it doesn't mean your screen is broken if you are using black/dark theme and your screen have a few pixel turned on.

Remember :
The darker a pixel is, the less power the light uses to make this color appearing.
Black = off
Grey = 50%
White = 100%

Personal experiences with android devices that might help you : if you have an auto-brightness setting, DO NOT USE IT. Why? It constantly analyzes the surrounding light amount and adjusts on it's own.

Instead :
When you are playing with handheld mode, turn on Powersaving and reduce brightness up to 20% or 30%, if you can view better, try out 10% or 15%, don't go lower because you're going to force your eyes.

Also, I might be wrong on that point, but as soon as you have to do something like "going to eat lunch", put your Switch in Sleep/Standby mode instead of turning it off.

Talking about energy saving. I started a new technique that helps a lot! If you are using AAA, AA, D or C batteries...
Remove them from the controller you're not using... I know I know... "Why... just why?"

Be aware of that : when batteries are left in a controller, even if the controller is turned off, a very tiny bit of juice is used. By removing the batteries, you literally just "cut" this "juice draw".

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
How long are you out and about? If it's not too long, then you might not have any problems with battery life. My Switch easily lasts my 45 min commute to and from school each morning. The game you're playing matters, too. I can get a solid 5-5.5 hrs of Disgaea 5 per charge at max brightness. In my experience, screen brightness hasn't made any big impact on battery life, since I'm usually playing >75% brightness.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Using Dark themes will help you A LOT! Why? A "black pixel" is actually "not a pixel" but a light turned off in the screen.

Remember :
The darker a pixel is, the less power the light uses to make this color appearing.
Black = off
Grey = 50%
White = 100%

This is completely wrong.

Using dark themes or black or white colors on LCD screens (unless with seperate led backlight zones that can be dimmed separately or oled screens, which i doubt the switch has either) is irrelevant, it uses the same battery whatever the color, the backlight is always on at the same brightness throughout the entire screen.
The dark pixels don't get darker cause they get less power, they are darker cause they block more light.
So only way to save screen battery is to turn down brightness.

Sent from my X900+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: ByteBite

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.