Hacking if the firmwares were updated, could we use DS flashcarts?

Tac 21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
to play 3ds games? or does the DS flashcart not have the hardware power for it?

I couldn't find topics on this so I wanted to make my own. is it possible to emulate a 3ds game as smooth as a ds game on a ds flashcart?

SuperMarioMaster

Trophies
Website
s14.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
DS flash carts were made for DS games. So...that's like saying if an NES flashcart can play SNES games. So, no.

BUT! Maybe in the future there could be a flashcart for the 3DS that can play DS games, though that would be kinda pointless.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SuperMarioMaster91 said:
DS flash carts were made for DS games. So...that's like saying if an NES flashcart can play SNES games. So, no.

BUT! Maybe in the future there could be a flashcart for the 3DS that can play DS games, though that would be kinda pointless.
unsure.gif
but we have that already
unsure.gif

Well sort of. We have DS flashcarts which work on
3DS!

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
aminemaster said:
Nope.

DS ? 3DS

He's talking about Emulation. I guess he means in the same way the DSTwo can emulate GBA games, could a flashcart with onboard cpu emulate 3DS games on a standard DS.

The answer, of course, is still no.

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there appear to be two ways to do this...

1. Create a firmware for the cart that allows it to use 3DS Mode and boot games that way, or
2. Sell a new flashcart that can do this.

2 is the most obvious, because all flashcart makers want is the money. If they find a way to hack 3DS mode, they'll definitely sell it as a new flashcart to make a lotta money.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
SuperMarioMaster91 said:

In hardware almost all is possible, a NES card that plays SNES games? why not, all you need is a NES card with enough power and memory to hold a SNES game ROM and and an adapter for the pinouts going into the system. The big difference between your statement and the one i'm making is that the DS and the 3DS have the same pinouts which makes THIS issue a lot easier.

Don't make others think that something isn't possible just because you haven't seen it done yet.

By the sound of the title of the topic the question is "if the firmware on the flashcards were updated would it be possible to play 3ds games off of them?"

Of which the answer should most likely be yes due to the fact that the hardware of the cartridges is virtually identical apart form the flash chips used, which wouldn't matter because firmware changes can mask all that information. If you ask me the answer to the main answer to the question is yes, it's just is the flash card quick enough to process the necessary information from a microSD card?.... of which i wouldn't be surprised if firmware changes allowed the games to be discoverable however issues while playing the games may occur. The SuperCard team may be the first one to test this hypothesis.

Check out my post: Sep 21 2011, 09:50 AM
http://gbatemp.net/t309114-creating-a-flashcart-questions

This would be the most logical step.

Gloris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pleng said:
aminemaster said:
Nope.

DS ? 3DS

He's talking about Emulation. I guess he means in the same way the DSTwo can emulate GBA games, could a flashcart with onboard cpu emulate 3DS games on a standard DS.

The answer, of course, is still no.

maybe i miss-read the OP, but i thought he was basically asking..

...now that something like the crown3ds cart is being developed...would we actually need to buy this new card to pay 3ds roms on our 3ds'....

...or could the existing cards (such as dstwo/acekard2i etc) have an updated firmware which could support 3ds roms.....on our 3ds', not a standard ds...

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if a new updated firmware came out to let us play 3DS games on our DS flashcarts, no team would endorse it. They'd create a new cart and sell THAT to make more moolah.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
chaosdarkneo said:
Even if a new updated firmware came out to let us play 3DS games on our DS flashcarts, no team would endorse it. They'd create a new cart and sell THAT to make more moolah.
Or they could be like we sell ya tah firmwarez for 50 % of tah flazzcardz $$.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ground said:
I vote for no, but ds roms were also first played on GBA flashcards!

That's a bit different. You were still flashing a DS binary to the GBA flash cart, and simply tricking the DS into starting code execution from the GBA romspace instead of the normal slot-1 address. Because of this, it didn't work on flash carts that required their own menu to launch files even if you were only flashing a single ROM to the cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE