If Ad Blocker Didn't Exist, Would You Still Use The Internet?

Would you still use the internet without ad blocker?

• Total voters

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Also, your questions asks if we would use the internet not a specific website
this, I would give up easy on some websites, like youtube when they started the Ad before video thing... at start don't bothered me much (only when bad internet times that I wanted to watch, the AD loaded but the vidoe not =3=) but then come with an stupid ad about xuxa every time and I got mad and discovered the ADblocker lol

D

Deleted-379826

This is quite the silly question. I think the people who hit no are merely trolling. Ads can be annoying but I doubt you would rather not use the internet at all than get annoyed by usually minimal ads. Most of the popular websites barely use any ads and even the websites with a bunch are merely annoying.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Kind of an odd question. I stopped using adblock several months ago as it did more harm than good (blocks certain hyperlinks and cashback transactions from being tracked) for me so now I just use the internet with ads.

The real problem is censorship which has forced me to pay for a VPN service.

olimar718

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I want to know what the guy who voted "no" has to say :)
I have voted no.
i am just very annoyed by ad more than almost anything else:glare:. If adblocking was impossible I really think i would switch to other entertainment like books, offline video games and DVD or blue-ray. I really don't want to end up buying thing I don't really need and wasting money / destroying the environment with overconsumption:wink:.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The irony is: because of addblockers, adds lost a good chunk of their efficiency, so websites had to increase the number of them to keep their own profits (or even just to pay for staying in the air).

Meaning: if blockers were never invented, adds wouldn't be as bad...

Okay, that's probably not true. Just before they became common, I remember some annoying flashy adds. Since the adds were competing against each other, they did that sort of stuff to distract from each other (and, incidentally, the reason why you were browsing the site in the first place).

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The irony is: because of addblockers, adds lost a good chunk of their efficiency, so websites had to increase the number of them to keep their own profits (or even just to pay for staying in the air).

Meaning: if blockers were never invented, adds wouldn't be as bad...

Okay, that's probably not true. Just before they became common, I remember some annoying flashy adds. Since the adds were competing against each other, they did that sort of stuff to distract from each other (and, incidentally, the reason why you were browsing the site in the first place).
If people wouldn't use adblock then for example, ads in YouTube videos wouldn't be as intrusive as they some times are. I was watching a review yesterday of the shitty Power Rangers 2017 and the guy was eating Dunkin' Donuts, and the money referred Dunkin' Donuts as well.

Ads before ads were just ads but adblock gave them a reason to evolve into something even worse.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blocking ads is simple concept and for it not to exist would require something fundamental to be different -- the internet sends me content to render on my machine, I can surely tell my machine not to render certain aspects.
Even without that I have analogue adblock -- I move things off screen and if I am bored enough to be watching TV then if I am on a channel with adverts I get up and get a drink or something when they come on.

I don't visit that many websites, and could safely say adverts rapidly become quite intolerable for me. My tolerance might be higher if I was exposed more often but I install ad blocking software on every machine I sort out so I am not often exposed.

not sure your age but there was a time before Adblockers existed
I have had custom hosts files for years and years, and "block external (or indeed all) images" was a thing for many years during the dial up days.
I don't know when the current blacklist + regex stuff appeared though, and it certainly upped the quality of the results.

Reactions: Nightwish

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it stopped existing i likely would use far less websites, only using ad heavy ones if i really had to. If it had never existed then i'd have become acclimatized to it but likely would still use the internet far less. I'm fine with ads like on this site. But pop ups, autoplay ones and scam ones have got to go.

Last edited by dimmidice,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.