Gaming I would love a *real* RTS on the DS

ausroller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Games like FFXII are close-but-not-quite RTS, what I'd really love is a true RTS experience such as Age Of Empires or Warcraft. (Yes, I know Age Of Empires 2 is on the DS, but as far as I can remember it was basically Advance Wars with a lick of paint)
Surely the genre would be a good fit for the DS, what with the stylus and all, although the limited screen size would be an issue.
Actually, now that I think about it, being able to carry a game like the original Age Of Empires 2 around in my pocket would spell the death of my social life. And my life in general.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the trick is going to be getting down the interface. Even somewhat poor AI can be worked around, but the DS -- even with all its potential for RTSes -- has yet to exhibit a perfect control scheme. As simplistic as Revenant Wings is, I think it comes as close as any game yet has.

But yeah, it would be nice to see something spring up that really hits it. Blizzard has been completely silent about working outside of any area other than PC, so there's no current promise of them ever bringing anything to DS. They'd be the dudes / dudettes to do it though.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard is THE rts company. Their game have tons of depth and strategy. The stryline is epic, and the graphics might not be the best, but are very good. The UI is super easy to use. Can blizzard bring rts to the DS? We shall see. (im more eager for starcraft 2) A reason i love blizzard is that all their games are also compatible with Mac!
Blizzard i know you are reading this!!! use your magic and make a rts for the ds!

EDIT: Hopefully they would use the memory expansion pak, and up the ram for more potential.

STARCRAFT DS! Mem pak INCLUDED!!! imagine that, starcraft on the go.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
As once I commented with hadrian before, the Windows Mobile and PalmOS plataforms, have a Command & Conquer clone called Warfare Inc., it works so well with the stylus so I'm amazed no one is actually developing nothing like it on the DS. =(

So, I hear you ausroller

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Dune 2.

The DS fulfills the hardware requirements several times over. There's no reason why the DS couldn't run a (good) RTS game with all the trimmings.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want LostMagic2. The mechanics worked well, and if you added unit building/being able to have like 24 units instead of 9 at max you would have the perfect DS RTS.

P

pasc

No need to doublepost.

Anyway, FFRW is a pretty good RTS in my Eyese, but just think of a online RTS !

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
C&C Red Alert (DOS Edition, takes less resources).

I would totally play that. And it doesn't make use of the right click that often, other than special commands and deselect.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would love to see more rts games

but i dont see direct ports of starcraft or warcraft happening and if blizzard did bring those games over. I think everyone would cry and b**tch about it not being as good as the original.

I think the problem is in the pathfinding for the multitude of units.
I don't think the ds can handle it or there has not been right developer that can make the ds do it.

is blizzard looking to make a ds game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm