Hardware I wish my computer would burn in a hole, bit I can't afford that, so help me instead

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, now on to problem #5 I've had with this crappy ASUS X551M laptop. I just installed a CD drive into the thing and now the laptop won't charge, but will power on when plugged in. What can I do besides ordering a new battery?

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, my battery is like, 3 years old, so it's probably dead. I'll try cleaning the contacts just in case. Also, a good tip: NEVER PURCHASE AN ASUS LAPTOP. They will have a thousand different problems with every little piece of hardware inside.

Reactions: Xanthe

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try THREE. My parents actually bought this for me 3 or so years ago, but also my siblings each got one. THEY ALL SUCK. We've had to send them in for repair, repair them oursleves, and sometimes just hope the thing still works.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I've had bad experiences with Acer too. The Dell laptop I have now is ok, but given that only one of the three USB ports actually works and half the time the CD drive won't read the disk I can't say it's all that great. I also recommend HP.

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screw it i'm using this
IMG_0243.JPG

It probably runs better anyway, and with few problems
(that sticker says designed for windows 98)

Reactions: Touko White

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try THREE. My parents actually bought this for me 3 or so years ago, but also my siblings each got one. THEY ALL SUCK. We've had to send them in for repair, repair them oursleves, and sometimes just hope the thing still works.
I've seen a lot of defective Acer laptops, but never ASUS ones.
Lenovos are great, but I'd recommend HP, they last pretty long imo.
HP laptops do last pretty long in my experience, but I've heard that even in countries where at least 2 years of warranty are mandatory, they only give you 1 year (unless you have a lawyer).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've had the worst experience with HP laptops (they commonly have poor cooling, especially with AMD CPUs that run very hot), followed by seeing many dead Compaq laptops. However a reminder to everyone, the brands don't make the laptops as such, they just assemble them from parts they buy elsewhere. That's why no matter what brand you get (even Apple), around 30% of them will have a critical failure within 3 years of use.

Actually the one laptop I've never seen die is a Toshiba. They don't assemble the best laptops, but they sure do last forever.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As was mentioned most laptops are lego parts and brand itself means so very little as a whole.

If you want ones that will last and can not spring for the actual ruggedised ones then I always suggest business class ones. They don't look pretty, might not have graphics cards even remotely suitable for gaming and often even come without webcams and other things some people seem to want (no webcam is a bonus from where I sit but hey) but they are built to last, have screens that work for business types (so in a nice bright light they still work), have keyboards you can type on (for a modern laptop anyway *pours beer for the old luggable with the mechanical keyboard*), you can usually find parts for them for years and they take a bit of abuse. Most of the big vendors have such lines, said same vendors also usually having cheap and nasty ones hence brand meaning little.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The point of a laptop is that it's portable. Desktops are not portable.
Some are, especially if you are going to a place with a screen, or with your laptop you also carry about a big boy keyboard and mouse. Likewise if I am jumping in the van it matters little whether I have 10kg of laptop crap with me or 10kg of tower.

Equally it is not the portability I like from laptops. From where I sit they come with their own screen and keyboard, fold up small if you want and have their own inbuilt UPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol