Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seemed to have settled down a bit just a half hour ago.

Now I really want some cheese and deli pickles. Like right the fuck now.

Should I wait or nom? I'm scared of the dairy at this point.

Cheese is colby-monterey and pickles are clausen dill

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it did not squirt out of one, or... preferably (?) both ends at a rate where you have to worry about replacing fluids then you did not have food poisoning. In your case it sounds like you had a very mild case of indigestion.

That said what Americans calls pickles are an abomination.

Drink the Bleach

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it did not squirt out of one, or... preferably (?) both ends at a rate where you have to worry about replacing fluids then you did not have food poisoning. In your case it sounds like you had a very mild case of indigestion.

That said what Americans calls pickles are an abomination.
Indigestion is an acidy feeling. Mine was straight up gagging. If only it was indigestion I could have taken a tum.

And I don't understand "american" pickles. Pickles aren't literally pickles, but just a common term to describe fermented gherkins in varieties of culinary brines. The brine used to pickle gherkins differ from brand to brand and flavor to flavor. There are atleast 30 pickles in my city differing between type and brand that all taste unique and are easily available in common grocery stores in my city. So how many of these american gherkins have you tried to classify them all as an "american" abomination?

I googled "british pickle" only to find Branston Pickle which is hella nasty; looks and tastes like the very same vomit I almost had.

Reactions: ComeTurismO

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would still call that indigestion, nobody would call it food poisoning, other than you it looks like.

Also, having vomited more than once in my life, it would definite improvement, indeed probably a considerable improvement, if it tasted and smelled like branston pickle... unless that smell became associated with vomit and people reacted accordingly which would be bad as that would probably deprive me of a fine class of sandwich filling. This applies to booze fuelled and other kinds.

On American pickles owing to many people maintaining a stock of a variety of brands I have tried many many different brands, sometimes without thinking when I am there ordering a burger -- it was almost as much of a culture shock as people not drinking squash and sales tax not being included in the price on the shelf. The only thing I found more disappointing was either ordering a burger with chillies when I was going through chilli withdrawal and it coming with 4 jalapeños (that I can write off as a one off/fault of the restaurant I was in) or ordering with onions as an extra on my burger and getting some fine chopped raw onion rather than shallow fried onion that had been sliced into rings. I will grant that some American pickes were vaguely tolerable, given pickles elsewhere are actually nice most of the time we get to use terms like abomination.

What I find is in US pickling, as you say, things are put in brine which is OK for some things*, what most of the rest of the world calls pickling typically involves putting things in various types of vinegar with a few spices (in Europe this is usually Coriander seeds) -- I could quite happily a glass of the juice at the end of pickling as I know it, and sometimes have a little splash when getting one out of the jar**, but even I am inclined to wretch at the prospect of doing it for US pickle juice. The straight brine thing would put it in the realms of fermentation elsewhere, though strictly speaking picking in vinegar is a type of fermentation, and brine is an option for some things.
Depending upon the age of the person you are speaking to you can pickle basically any solid food and I would probably agree. That is not to say I am a fan of all of it -- pickled eggs I can leave and for pickled onions I prefer the small (silverskins) over the larger options, though I would not bother with any pickled onions beyond monster munch if given the chance. Pickled cabbage varies though it is usually someone's grandma that makes the best stuff and pickled fish depends upon the fish. Beetroot is nasty in all its forms as far as I am concerned. Anyway this is calling you out on your poor definition of food poisoning and not a GBAchef article so I will leave it there bar the footnotes.

*it is done elsewhere, however in those cases it is typically a storage method rather than a method that attempts to effect a taste change.

**in my experience it is a popular pregnancy food craving.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Drink the Bleach

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would still call that indigestion, nobody would call it food poisoning, other than you it looks like.

Also, having vomited more than once in my life, it would definite improvement, indeed probably a considerable improvement, if it tasted and smelled like branston pickle... unless that smell became associated with vomit and people reacted accordingly which would be bad as that would probably deprive me of a fine class of sandwich filling. This applies to booze fuelled and other kinds.

On American pickles owing to many people maintaining a stock of a variety of brands I have tried many many different brands, sometimes without thinking when I am there ordering a burger -- it was almost as much of a culture shock as people not drinking squash and sales tax not being included in the price on the shelf. The only thing I found more disappointing was either ordering a burger with chillies when I was going through chilli withdrawal and it coming with 4 jalapeños (that I can write off as a one off/fault of the restaurant I was in) or ordering with onions as an extra on my burger and getting some fine chopped raw onion rather than shallow fried onion that had been sliced into rings. I will grant that some American pickes were vaguely tolerable, given pickles elsewhere are actually nice most of the time we get to use terms like abomination.

What I find is in US pickling, as you say, things are put in brine which is OK for some things*, what most of the rest of the world calls pickling typically involves putting things in various types of vinegar with a few spices (in Europe this is usually Coriander seeds) -- I could quite happily a glass of the juice at the end of pickling as I know it, and sometimes have a little splash when getting one out of the jar**, but even I am inclined to wretch at the prospect of doing it for US pickle juice. The straight brine thing would put it in the realms of fermentation elsewhere, though strictly speaking picking in vinegar is a type of fermentation, and brine is an option for some things.
Depending upon the age of the person you are speaking to you can pickle basically any solid food and I would probably agree. That is not to say I am a fan of all of it -- pickled eggs I can leave and for pickled onions I prefer the small (silverskins) over the larger options, though I would not bother with any pickled onions beyond monster munch if given the chance. Pickled cabbage varies though it is usually someone's grandma that makes the best stuff and pickled fish depends upon the fish. Beetroot is nasty in all its forms as far as I am concerned. Anyway this is calling you out on your poor definition of food poisoning and not a GBAchef article so I will leave it there bar the footnotes.

*it is done elsewhere, however in those cases it is typically a storage method rather than a method that attempts to effect a taste change.

**in my experience it is a popular pregnancy food craving.
I don't know on any/many restaurants other than fast food joints that do diced onions, and you never want to order jalapenoes on your burger in america because most places used nacho-jalapeno slices which are just pickled peppers. Jalapenos are only good in with cajun or korean-styled meals.

Fast food pickles are a generic dill-flavored pickles. GOOD dill-pickles are green on the outside and nearly white on the inside, and many deli-styled restaurants can make their own.
They basically fall under the category of dill, bread&butter, sours, and half-sours.

If the pickle takes longer than 3-4 months to expire, its not a great pickle. Anything else has too many preservatives to really enjoy.

Drink the Bleach

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I threw twice within the hour. havent done that since 3rd grade. I was unfamiliar with the sensation. I did it outside in the backyard and cat trying to get near it. Had to switch pants. Feel good now

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I threw twice within the hour. havent done that since 3rd grade. I was unfamiliar with the sensation. I did it outside in the backyard and cat trying to get near it. Had to switch pants. Feel good now

?

Rottenecards_401722_89n6vysz8k.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
food poisoning? just drink a lot of bleach. this will melt the poison on the food

Actually I am not sure bleach is a great cure for poison, give or take it causing mild throwing up in some cases. It is a spectacular destroyer of cancer, viruses, fungi, bacteria and parasites but straight up poisoning might be a different matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.