I was right about Switch's WiFi.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Thirty3Three, Aug 13, 2017.

1. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    There's some truth to this. My router is downstairs and while my ipad shows a strong signal the switch doesn't. As long as games don't lag I have no problems with it. I never experienced lag of any kind in MK8 but it's bad in SF but I barely play that game anyways. My pc is connected with powerline to the router and I dug up my old router and went on youtube and found out how to set it up as an access point. Works great. So I have the old router with external antennas set up as an access point through powerline and connected my switch to that. It sits like two meters from the router and the signal shows 100% but the signal test still shows very different results each time I run it. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse than when running the test on the new wifi router downstairs. I've not noticed any difference in online play but it's loading the eshop a tiny bit quicker.

That's funny. Poster above me suggested just what I've done. Lawl.

Last edited by isoboy, Aug 13, 2017

2. x3n0

x3n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    Netherlands
    It seems strange some people have their switch over a router and still only have 2 bars wifi.

My router is on the other side of my house separated by 2 walls (aerated concrete) and an aquarium when playing as handheld and I have 3 and sometimes 2 bars wifi.

The chip (Broadcom BCM4356) does not have a reputation of being bad or "shitty" and the antenna placement does not seem blocked by something (it's on the top side near the vent afaik).

Maybe the problem lies in the build quality and some units cope with connector defects on the assembly line. Perhaps if you switch *pun intended* it for another unit it will be fine.

DarkIrata likes this.
  3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I cleared up my Switch's Wi-Fi issues by doing the following:

1.) Improve the quality of your Wireless Fidelity.
    Download and install WIFI ANALYZER for Android in the Play Store, and open it up. Scan the 5GHz band. You'll likely see your Wi-Fi signal over-saturated by your neighbors around you, with many open channels in the middle like this:

20839418_1974326436182904_25053289_n.png

Go into your router settings and change to one of the open middle channels. Scan again with Wi-Fi Analyzer. You should now be the only hump by yourself, and that's what we want. I changed mine to 5.5GHz, and nobody else in my neighborhood is using it:

20814810_1974324626183085_319914823_n.png

2.) Open your NAT type to "A"
    I run DD-WRT on my Asus router, so many of you might not be so lucky to have a powerful firmware, but if you do, follow along. On your Switch, open "System Settings", then "Internet Settings". Choose your connection, then choose "Change Settings". Change them to look something like this:

IP Address settings: Manual
    IP Address: 192.168.001.110
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
    Gateway: 192.168.001.001

DNS Settings
    Primary DNS: 008.008.008.008
    Secondary DNS: 008.008.004.004

Proxy settings: Off
    MTU: 1500

Autoconnect: On

In your router Settings, you can either add your Switch's IP address you assigned to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), or follow Nintendo's own port forwarding instructions HERE.
    Now just to recap, these settings work for me, and my Asus router with DD-WRT. You might have your DNS settings set to block updates, and that's okay, it might not make any difference. (I used the Google DNS here, and it works fine for me.) When you're all finished, reboot the router (for good measure) and then run a connection test on the Switch. Your NAT type should report back to you as type A, and you'll have fewer connection issues while playing online.

4. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Did anyone really disagree that the wifi isn't the best in the Switch?

All I can say is that it works just as good (bad) as every other device I have.

Sucks it doesn't work for you.

DarthDub, heartgold and Thirty3Three like this.
  5. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Yep. In an earlier thread a shitton of people here were literally calling me a liar, and being condescending toward me for stating what I'm stating now.

It does suck. Thanks, Nintendo.

6. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States

I knew day 1 it had wifi issues and was given the typical spew from clueless idiots saying it's my internet. I have IT qualifications and worked in IT/Networking on and off for 20 years, so I know were your coming from buddy.

Last edited by Thelonewolf88, Aug 13, 2017
  7. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :)

Thelonewolf88 likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    My Switch is literally right next to my router and I still get 2 bars.. Thanks Ninty D:

Riyaz likes this.
  9. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    D:

10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the lan or possibly their USB ports is also garbage i have the official lan adapter and max speed i get 10 mb/s from cable 100 mb/s...Thanks Ninty!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Aug 13, 2017
  11. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    I think there's supposed to be a hard cap or something. Supposedly it doesn't go too high, even on lan

12. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    The official lan adapter is trash. ( I assume you mean hori's) Buy a usb 3.0 lan adapter and it will work way better.

13. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    Oh that's wonderful. I must try this to improve my signal quality, I get horrible cuts even when I'm literally in front of my router sometimes, and that with anything.

Jayro likes this.
  14. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    i noticed that. the fucking wifi range is TERRIBLE. my 2009-2010 WORK laptop has a better one that the switch.

whateverg1012 and Thirty3Three like this.
  15. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It's your shitty internet

mech and BlastedGuy9905 like this.
  16. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    No issues from my end, Nintendo must have put a better WiFi chip in my Switch. :creep:

17. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    You're a funny guy

18. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    IKR

Thirty3Three likes this.
  19. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    You're damage controlling. A whack ton of people are having issues. While many are saying that connectivity to the router is "working fine for them" if they would compare it to other devices on their network they'd likely find that signal strength and network speed is significantly worse on the Switch.

My WiFi speeds were balls on a 5 GHz network three feet from the router. 10 to 20 Mbps down when other devices (smart phones) get 100+ Mbps from the same location. I tried wired. I got around 30 Mbps down (tested using fast.com). Using the same gigabit LAN adapter, same cable run on my laptop I got 122 Mbps down. The speed results for the Switch would vary considerably. Infrequently, I would get around 90 Mbps while wired. Still, slower than it should be.

Oh, and I should mention, I've tested three different Switches. So it's not like I got a "bad one".

VinLark likes this.
  20. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    How many Wi-fi signals are close by? When I was in Job Corps, practically everyone had a hotspot open on their phones and it made my Wii U gamepad desync like crazy.

Memoir likes this.