Hardware I was right about Switch's WiFi.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Wellp, there seems to be a correlation in this. First the antenna on the joycon, now the antenna on the system. I am the only one feeling a bad choice of antenna provider?

Reactions: DarthDub

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's the very first thing that comes to mind. Our hand is blocking the signal, but being so close to the system, we should be fine. Instead they had to give the Left joycon an internal antenna over what they originally had: a trace on the mainboard. It fixes the issue, but I fully believe that's a fix more about the Switch tablets antenna, rather that the Joycon's. Joycon's would be easier and cheaper to replace..... it just adds up for me.
AFAIK they didn't give it a separate antenna. They just changed some components on the board or changed the firmware or something like that, from what I heard the revised board looks identical to the first version.
Just saying.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._every_switch_have_terrible_wifi_range_or_is/

It's NOT a problem with my internet like some idiots here were talking down to me, for.

It IS the Switch and its terrible wifi chip. Its compatibility with certain routers just absolutely sucks. I even talked to a support guy for an hour, and he was tried everything (including something he wasn't supposed to do) and based on everything he did, as well as the error code, that's the conclusion he came up with, as well.

I just wanted to say this so all the assholes who said "It's your shitty internet" will stop being condescending idiots and avoid commenting on something they know nothing about.

Smh.
I thought that was pretty obvious after all the people having JoyCon problems. It's being handled by the same chip IIRC, and I've personally experienced severe JoyCon connectivity issues, as well as severe wifi connectivity issues, although not in the same place. At my home I have JoyCon issues even though I sit at a normal distance away from the TV, but as my router is in the same room wifi works fine. At my moms when I brought it there to play with my brother, the JoyCons worked fine (we sat pretty close to the TV) but the router was in the next room and when we tried out the ARMS testpunch it dropped out constantly. Before matches, at the beginning of matches and once or twice during a match. It was hard to even finish a match successfully.
Wellp, there seems to be a correlation in this. First the antenna on the joycon, now the antenna on the system. I am the only one feeling a bad choice of antenna provider?
The JoyCon antenna fix is really just another way of dealing with the problem, but it seems like the root cause is the Switch itself.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might sound really stupid but try moving your Switch further from the router. Depending on how the router antenna does it's thing (beamforming, surround broadcast, etc.), having it that close might actually put it in a dead zone where the WiFi can't reach, either because of interference with itself or because it's not actually broadcasting to that spot

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK they didn't give it a separate antenna. They just changed some components on the board or changed the firmware or something like that, from what I heard the revised board looks identical to the first version.

I thought that was pretty obvious after all the people having JoyCon problems. It's being handled by the same chip IIRC, and I've personally experienced severe JoyCon connectivity issues, as well as severe wifi connectivity issues, although not in the same place. At my home I have JoyCon issues even though I sit at a normal distance away from the TV, but as my router is in the same room wifi works fine. At my moms when I brought it there to play with my brother, the JoyCons worked fine (we sat pretty close to the TV) but the router was in the next room and when we tried out the ARMS testpunch it dropped out constantly. Before matches, at the beginning of matches and once or twice during a match. It was hard to even finish a match successfully.
Obvious, not to many here apparently, who just talked down to me a lot in a previous thread about this, calling me a liar, when this is OBVIOUSLY a widespread issue. They can google it and there are quite a few topics about it. There are a lot of asshole morons here who think they know what they're talking about and call the people who are correct, liars.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This might sound really stupid but try moving your Switch further from the router. Depending on how the router antenna does it's thing (beamforming, surround broadcast, etc.), having it that close might actually put it in a dead zone where the WiFi can't reach, either because of interference with itself or because it's not actually broadcasting to that spot
I've tried before. I could connect very well at a beach house I went to, from pretty far away from the router, but here, nope. I have to be literally right next to my router to connect.

D

Deleted User

The basically electro-glued a small electrostatic cube to the trace that was intending to be the antenna. That was their fix.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point I'm gona have to recommend a lan adapter for at least in docked mode, I doubt you would want to have it pluged in in bed or on the couch so likely to only ever be of use in docked mode

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point I'm gona have to recommend a lan adapter for at least in docked mode, I doubt you would want to have it pluged in in bed or on the couch so likely to only ever be of use in docked mode
Eh, I just worry about docked because of apparent warping. We still don't know if that's what causes the warping, but just to be safe, I'm hesitant.

D

Deleted User

Eh, I just worry about docked because of apparent warping. We still don't know if that's what causes the warping, but just to be safe, I'm hesitant.
If you haven't experienced warping by now, i'd say you're not likely to ever experience it with your system.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it makes you feel better, my dock hasn't warped
dock hahah! System, man :P But thank you!

And
If you haven't experienced warping by now, i'd say you're not likely to ever experience it with your system.
Well see, I play in handheld mode. I've just read that it's being in docked mode that causes it. I've only had it docked like once or twice, so if that is what's causing it, then my system shouldn't be warped anyway.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The basically electro-glued a small electrostatic cube to the trace that was intending to be the antenna. That was their fix.
I'm aware of that, but I thought you were talking about the revised board newer units have. They don't have ESD foam on them, it seems like Nintendo figured out a better solution.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the warping was playing botw on a 90 degree day pushing it close but not quite close enough to the overheat power down, now THAT is an isolated incedebt of only a couple people

D

Deleted User

I'm aware of that, but I thought you were talking about the revised board newer units have. They don't have ESD foam on them, it seems like Nintendo figured out a better solution.
Oh, I didn't realise that there as a straight-up new revision for the left joycon. I figured we were talking about the same one :P

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I still have a day-1 edition lol. Uh oh?
I think the warping was playing botw on a 90 degree day pushing it close but not quite close enough to the overheat power down, now THAT is an isolated incedebt of only a couple people
I hope so!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

Yeah, right around that same time, there was alot of heatwaves and such. Wouldn't surprise me if that played a part too.

So far, I've logged alot of time into both Docked & Undocked modes, no warping for either the dock nor tablet itself, which is good.

Reactions: jt_1258

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I still have a day-1 edition lol. Uh oh?

I hope so!
incedent, not incedebt, typos, reeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yeah, right around that same time, there was alot of heatwaves and such. Wouldn't surprise me if that played a part too.

So far, I've logged alot of time into both Docked & Undocked modes, no warping for either the dock nor tablet itself, which is good.
if it helps I'm right by Chicago if that's a sign of my usual wether(and yes I have used it outside in the heat at party's), what about you?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Mine is bent and I never even pushed it hard, I only played a couple of hours at a time. And it wasn't particularly hot indoors, I noticed the bend while it was still spring.
Starting to think it was pre-bent at the factory (how nice of Nintendo), as that's apparently a thing. I should have checked when I got it, but it looked normal so I didn't worry too much until I eventually laid it on a flat surface and tried to rock it from side to side.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the sake of solidarity, I'll also throw in as being one whose Switch has very weak wifi reception. Every wireless device in my house shows full (4) bars at all times, except the Switch which is usually on one bar (out of 3) in my living room and cannot be taken to any of the bedrooms if you want to play online. I'm considering a wall jack wifi extender/repeater, but concerned about lag. Anyone use one of those???

D

Deleted User

incedent, not incedebt, typos, reeeeeeeeeeeeee

if it helps I'm right by Chicago if that's a sign of my usual wether(and yes I have used it outside in the heat at party's), what about you?
Ireland, usually muggy and wet, but when it gets hot, it get's HOT. Folks were playing BOTW at the time, which coupled with poor airflow, heat from the extreme operation for long hours, and external heat too, wouldn't surprise me if some systems bent.

Just for the sake of solidarity, I'll also throw in as being one whose Switch has very weak wifi reception. Every wireless device in my house shows full (4) bars at all times, except the Switch which is usually on one bar (out of 3) in my living room and cannot be taken to any of the bedrooms if you want to play online. I'm considering a wall jack wifi extender/repeater, but concerned about lag. Anyone use one of those???
Using a wifi extender was my solution to have the switch with my tv in another from the router, don't see any lag, even from other games. Get one that sets up a wifi point, but runs through your powerline. Slower speed for sure, but again, i've had no lag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/business/chocolate-price-increase-easter-holidays/index.html