Hardware I want to buy an external hard drive...

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Actually if any files were open at the time that he tried to disconnect then it wouldn't let you do it. It will say that it was unable to do that. If the drive gets unmounted completely you will see a balloon that says that it is safe to remove the hardware.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have two western digital mybook external hdds, I use one for torrents and the other for music/games, had them for quite some time, and had no problems with them. i hear seagate are pretty good too, though i've read nothing but bad things about maxtor with regards to reliability and performance. maybe they've improved though since I bought mine

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So far, I'm pretty much convinced. I really want to get one!

Hhowever, how would it work for games? I would be able to install them on the drive, or what's the deal? Because there's no point in having the game in the drive if I can't install it and play it. :\

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on the game. If the game streams data off the drive, use an internal one. Otherwise the only difference you'll notice is a small increase in "Loading" pauses.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thread seems to have run its course but I thought I would chime in:
I am a great fan of external drives (I have various caddies, adapters and self contained variants) and have been using them for years.

Speed on USB 2.0 is fine for most things I care about (it is certainly enough to watch video from, encode higher complexity stuff where drive speed is not the limit (transcoding DVDs is not in this for a high end machine) and for the most part games work OK too: assuming the ISO, daemon tools route), firewire aka ie1394 should be able to trump all but the very fastest RAM based stuff if you really need a speed boost (also I do not know about you but firewire ports are far easier to come across on my machines than USB).
Assuming windows drive support can keep up (multiple drives has never been a windows strongpoint) any speed hit is normally negated somewhat by the lack of need to read and write to different sectors of the same drive.

Power can be a pain (especially as they tend to use 12V 2Amp output adapters which like to break on occasion) although for a premium (and hit in speed and space) USB powered (either extra cord or via read cable) is possible. I tend to shy away from these as a plain SD card/USB stick can do this just as well.

This time of year tends to get various shops trying to flog their old but perfectly serviceable stock as well.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends how portable it needs to be.

If portability isn't a huge issue, you can get a 500gb My Book or Seagate FreeAgent for about 100 bucks.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Another recommendation for the My Book series of drives. I have 2 500GB ones... but there's 2 TB ones now
ohmy.gif

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.as...342&language=en

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
A minor issue perhaps and easily circumvented (not to mention WD do make some drives that are nice quality) but have a read:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/we...pled_harddrive/
Stunts such as this tend to make companies appear on my "do not buy unless absolutely necessary" list (Sony being the first and foremost member of said list).

I wouldn't pay an extra (£10) $20 for the drive with the inbuilt Ethernet card. I'd get the one I linked to earlier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: