Gaming I think I'm going to do it again....

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This... strange experience called..... buying..... DS games. Anyways, I remember completing the first Phoenix Wright on my M3 and then several months later, I saw the game in the bargain bin and snapped it up. Now, fast forward to today and I've been playing Elite Beat Agents to the point of obsession and I was browsing the cdwow.com and saw the game for about £21 with free delivery. I wonder if buying the game really does mean it's one game closer to a sequel...

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It is. I've done my fair share of pirating, but I always make sure I buy the quirky games like Trauma Center (which I didn't even like that much!), Phoenix Wright (which is made of Win and Gold), and once I see EBA on a european shelf, it will suffer the same fate.

Honor among thieves, etc.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Same here
smile.gif

Buy games, while I played them out already
smile.gif

Zhark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing 'backups' for more than 15 years now
wink.gif

But I always make sure I buy the games I enjoy the most, they deserve my money. Most of the games I see, get played only for a couple of hours. The ones that get me to the point where I can not drop them, those get my dollars
smile.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder if buying the game really does mean it's one game closer to a sequel...

I hope not. The reason most games are awful is due to them being sequels (or derivative at the least). More of the same is always boring. Support the quirky, original games in the hope that they make more quirky original games - not a tired sequel.

ravagekd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
echo what's been said. always buy that which you want to support. In the PC market even as a poor-poor-poor college student I bought Unreal Tournament when it came out just because I felt Epic deserved my dough

Smashingblue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchase many of the games I play and I think there are a lot on these very forums that do the same. A lot of people merely try games before buying them.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only game I can see myself buying in the future is Zelda. But I agree, buy the games that you enjoy and support them.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even though I don't really buy DS games much, and mainly play "backups", I still own a few (mainly the ones I needed Download/multicard play to unflashed DSs). Still, I spend almost all of my money on video games, so it's not like the industry is losing any money from me... On the contrary, if I download a DS game and like it, if it has sequels/prequels on other consoles I may buy them instead of something else.
And, if I really like a game, I may buy it even if I have beat it already. Unless its an import, which I think are overpriced, so I won't buy it anyways... I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so why does it really matter?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Download the game, then donate to the developing team via PayPal. Even if you only donate one third of the cost you'd pay in the store, it's ten times more than the team would make off one cartrige.

And remember that for every pirate playing ROMs, there are enough people buying the game to make it worth while and cover post-developement manufacturing costs. That is, if the game is any good. So having, on average, one in a hundred pirates buy, on average, one in a hundred game titles, won't influence the market.

I like having cartriges, and I buy DS games, but I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable giving away my money to thousands of layers of middlemen instead of actually paying for what I'm playing. I hate the thought of the money I paid for "my" game covering the losses of some other game by the same publisher. In effect, I'm paying for the marketing of crappy games I would never pay for, by buying the game I want. The money I paid for "Doomathon 3: Decapitation" shouldn't cover the losses generated by "World of curling", or go towards the marketing promotion of "Sim-hide-and-seek", it should go to the developing team of Doomathon. That's not possible if I buy the game at a store.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like to buy the games I enjoy, though its very rare that I actually buy them over here! Its cheaper, well sometimes it only like 10p cheaper after postage but I do get them sooner than waiting for them to get released here.

Its not just about supporting developers but its also nice to add to my collection as I just like doing that, same with CDs and films.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
now that i have a job i can actually buy games (to add to my collection of 1) lolz.

agreed with the value of purchasing worthy games. its nice even if for collection (playing on flashcarts can be more convenient sometimes) such as i love some of my original n64 games such as zelda, super smash bros which i will probably keep forever.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
try and buy. Thats the main reason why release groups release roms
games should be considered a trophy, and when people see them you can say "i've beaten that."

so far i own: lost in blue, Castlevania DoS/PoR, EBA, AC:WW, Meteos, Brain Age, Harvest Moon, Pheonix Wright 1/2, Kirby:Squeak, and need to buy DK racing.

Thank You! almost bought Star Trek Tactical Assult if it wasnt for GBATemp & Supremacy.
grog.gif

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
buying games is cool! i feel proud when i have games. used games are cheaper than normal so i buy used games even tho i have R4

decept

Trophies
Website
www.decept.net
XP
Country
United States
I had a sizable DS collection before I got my R4. However, ever since then I've been selling off my collection and stopped buying games alltogether.

I'm not going to bullshit everyone and say "Yeah, I support the game industry, even though I own a flash cart" because I don't.

For the past 20+ years I've spent thousands buying games and systems, it was a good run. Now, I rely on pirating portable games for my gaming fix.

Wrong? Of course it is, but that's how it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1