I need some JRPGs!

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm not supposed to bump but I can get around to some of these games now and I just saw that Cyan wanted feedback. I meant to play these when I posted but then I got distracted. I'm going to start with FF 6, Tales of Phantasia, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma because I'm familiar with the names. I'll tell what I think about them

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know I'm not supposed to bump but I can get around to some of these games now and I just saw that Cyan wanted feedback. I meant to play these when I posted but then I got distracted. I'm going to start with FF 6, Tales of Phantasia, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma because I'm familiar with the names. I'll tell what I think about them
enjoy

PS: even though you said you don't have a PS1 emulator, I still recommend you playing the PS1 version of ToP, the gameplay is greatly improved... still the SNES version is good.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Don't worry about the bump, this is one of those times a bump is perfect... well, it's not even a bump IMO.
To me, bumping is when you post something, no one replies, and you post again only to "bump it up" to the top of the recent topics.
And then necrobumping, when you resurrect a thread from the grave :P And this is not the case in my opinion.

I would suggest Illusion of Gaia first, since it's the shortest of the games. (and Terranigma is a spiritual successor to it).

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
enjoy

PS: even though you said you don't have a PS1 emulator, I still recommend you playing the PS1 version of ToP, the gameplay is greatly improved... still the SNES version is good.
If I find the means to, I definitely will!

Don't worry about the bump, this is one of those times a bump is perfect... well, it's not even a bump IMO.
To me, bumping is when you post something, no one replies, and you post again only to "bump it up" to the top of the recent topics.
And then necrobumping, when you resurrect a thread from the grave :P And this is not the case in my opinion.

I would suggest Illusion of Gaia first, since it's the shortest of the games. (and Terranigma is a spiritual successor to it).
Sure thing. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Terranigma, make sure to level at least 2-3 times when you enter every new area. There are damage penalties if your levels aren't high enough, and all attacks do 1-2 damage.

When thinking of Terranigma and level penalties, I was reminded of Crystalis for NES. It's one of my favorite Action RPGs and I recommend it.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on Illusion of Gaia and I've noticed a weird but that sometimes happens with Will's Sprite upon entering an area. A quick Google search shows no results.
15134801660661646382342.jpg
What's up with that?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
strange indeed. Probably just an emulator's bug.

does it happen often and make it unplayable?
Maybe the ROM is not proper, it could be a patched version (an attempt at applying an unfinished translation patch), or maybe the emulator has an issue with functions used by that game but I suppose it would affect more sprites.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
strange indeed. Probably just an emulator's bug.

does it happen often and make it unplayable?
Maybe the ROM is not proper, it could be a patched version (an attempt at applying an unfinished translation patch), or maybe the emulator has an issue with functions used by that game but I suppose it would affect more sprites.
No it doesn't happen to often and it fixes itself whenever the Sprite changes (when I start walking for example)

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right. I've played a chunk of IoG but I'm really not feeling it. I mean, it's alright but I'm not super motivated to keep going. I may come back to it but I'll move on to FF 6 (3)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All right. I've played a chunk of IoG but I'm really not feeling it. I mean, it's alright but I'm not super motivated to keep going. I may come back to it but I'll move on to FF 6 (3)
Which FF6 version will you play?
Snes, GBA or phones?

GBA has an extra dungeon (I never played it), but the color and sound are different to match the poor colored screen, there is a patch to restore the color/audio if you play on emulator.
The GBA version might have an improved translation, and bug fixed.

I never played the phone/tablet version either but I don't like the look and chara design they did with the game. they made bigger sprites (for bigger resolution screen).
They also changed the battle screen to be touchscreen enabled, so the battle doesn't feel like the original ones.
I'm nostalgic to the Snes graphics, so I'm biased :P
I don't know if they changed anything else story wise, nor if it includes the extra dungeon from GBA.

(I kept out the PS1 version, you probably won't play that one. But it's slow moving/loading, the audio is bad and redone in Midi)

I guess Snes or GBA+patch are the two version you should try, if you don't care about old resolution and graphics. Else, go with the phone one.

Last edited by Cyan,

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which FF6 version will you play?
Snes, GBA or phones?

GBA has an extra dungeon (I never played it), but the color and sound are different to match the poor colored screen, there is a patch to restore the color/audio if you play on emulator.
The GBA version might have an improved translation, and bug fixed.

I never played the phone/tablet version either but I don't like the look and chara design they did with the game. they made bigger sprites (for bigger resolution screen).
They also changed the battle screen to be touchscreen enabled, so the battle doesn't feel like the original ones.
I'm nostalgic to the Snes graphics, so I'm biased :P
I don't know if they changed anything else story wise, nor if it includes the extra dungeon from GBA.

(I kept out the PS1 version, you probably won't play that one. But it's slow moving/loading, the audio is bad and redone in Midi)

I guess Snes or GBA+patch are the two version you should try, if you don't care about old resolution and graphics. Else, go with the phone one.
I'm playing the snes version on a phone emulator with a Bluetooth gamepad. I finally know what your avatar is from too.

Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s