I Need my Steam Machine to STFU (dat fan)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by LightyKD, Jan 6, 2017.

Jan 6, 2017
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I'm looking for a quieter fan for my motherboard. My processor support socket is LGA 1155. (Sandy Bridge). I know, I'm not working with the latest and greatest here but my Steam Machine gets the job done and makes me one happy gamer. And BTW PLEASE, no comments about liquid cooling. I know it's awesome, Just can't do it right now. I'm just trying to find a quick solution that doesn't involve me ripping out my CPU fan and saying "frak it!" -any suggestions?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Get a third party heatsink/fan like the Gelid Tranquillo series. Generally the bigger the fan, the quieter it is.

Also note that your case fans tend to make the most noise in the system, so consider swapping them with quieter fans or even getting a whole new case like a Fractal Design R5 which is designed to be quieter.

3. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    By "steam machine" do you mean one of these? Or just a PC you have with a nickname like that?
    If it's the former, you'll have a hard time searching for a third party cooler that could fit into that low profile case most steam machines have.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

4. nero99

Member nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    if you have room for a 120mm radiator i can send you a liquid cooler, all you would pay is shipping. but if you are looking for a decent fan, check out the hyper 212 x turbo or 212 evo. they dont cost much and are pretty quiet.

5. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States

Not sure if I have the space but this is my case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-DM-387...lack-silver-/311664074021?hash=item4890a05d25

Checked my current fan usibg a Db meter app. The app has a warning to give/take +- 10Db from its sound measurement but my PC currently makes 65 + or - 10 Db of sound. I spotted a few cheap fans that claim to run 22 Db.

Nero, feel free to PM me. In this case, all help is appreciated. Hell, even my wife is hoping I find a solution, lol. That's rare!

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Isnt that a half size case?
    Dont think you will fit a 120mm fan+rad in it, says up to 80mm fan

LightyKD likes this.
  7. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Addict

Sweden
    Noctua fans are you saviour. They even got blades that smashes the wind (Like owls does) to make it more quiet.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    ok I found some better pics http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154087
    1 top mounted 80mm fan, thats it

Thats the problem, you have pretty much 0 airflow in the case thus the cpu is heating up fast and causing the fan to rev up to keep it cool
    You could try just screwing a 120mm intake on the side panel on the vents (even though it doesnt officially support it) to see if you can get more air in

Last edited by Joe88, Jan 8, 2017