Hacking I need help with my RROD Xbox 360

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, we talked a while ago now about an xbox360 I got from ebay that I thought might have had a different board on the dvd drive to the motherboard, and it also got the rrod, well I also mentioned about my frustration with it and kicking it across the room lol, well I have bought a xenon motherboard 100% working with the dvd pcb to match, I hope to get this on Saturday it's for an hitachi dvd drive, which I have two spare.
what I would like help with is, the gpu and cpu will have to have paste put on before the heatsink, I have a tube of arctic silver 5, how much is enough to apply? I don't want to be skinny with it because I don't want to get this board going to rrod, also I want to flash the hitachi drive to play backups, I want to use the xbox power and a sata cable to the pc, I have lost all the programs I need to flash and would like a recap of what I need to download, I am also running windows 8, i'm not bothered about getting a ban from live, that's why I am flashing with the xbox power, any help would be great, thankyou

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Humm.
Just apply a big dot of AS5 and spread it a bit with the tube itself.
Make sure you cleaned it with alcohol (the GPU/CPU and heatsinks)

As for the flashing of an Hitachi...
Best thing is to download Jungleflasher and look it up in the Jungleflasher Manual ;]
It's far more detailed then I could ever make me own tutorials.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks DinohScene, just wanted to keep you up to date on everything, it's been a while since I have been on here, life just keeps getting in the way lol

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, we talked a while ago now about an xbox360 I got from ebay that I thought might have had a different board on the dvd drive to the motherboard, and it also got the rrod, well I also mentioned about my frustration with it and kicking it across the room lol, well I have bought a xenon motherboard 100% working with the dvd pcb to match, I hope to get this on Saturday it's for an hitachi dvd drive, which I have two spare.
what I would like help with is, the gpu and cpu will have to have paste put on before the heatsink, I have a tube of arctic silver 5, how much is enough to apply? I don't want to be skinny with it because I don't want to get this board going to rrod, also I want to flash the hitachi drive to play backups, I want to use the xbox power and a sata cable to the pc, I have lost all the programs I need to flash and would like a recap of what I need to download, I am also running windows 8, i'm not bothered about getting a ban from live, that's why I am flashing with the xbox power, any help would be great, thankyou
I have heard many times you should always use as thin of a layer as possible when applying thermal paste, as a too thick layer will serve to insulate the heat rather than transfer it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have heard many times you should always use as thin of a layer as possible when applying thermal paste, as a too thick layer will serve to insulate the heat rather than transfer it.

True ish.
But to little and it won't spread even over the CPU/GPU.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think that's generally why people recommend you spread it with a credit card/similar instead of letting pressure do the job :P

Poor credit card :c
But yeh, that's the best way of spreading it lol

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Dinoh is Obi Wan Kenobi, does that make me Luke Skywalker? :huh:

Anywho, remember to get a iHas drive or see if your disc drive is supported by the Burner Max software in order to burn discs fully.

Reactions: DinohScene

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The way I was taught to use thermal paste was to put a straight line of paste on the centre of the chip die and then rely on pressure from the sink to evenly distribute the paste. I was led to understand that any kind of tooling can create air pockets that will obviously negatively impact heat transfer.

I used the gain of rice method with AS Alumina on my Falcon (using original x-clamps - no bolts) and it runs cool for hours and hours.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Help me DinohScene you're my only hope...................

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I want me own signal.
Like Batman.

If Dinoh is Obi Wan Kenobi, does that make me Luke Skywalker?

I guess so.
I haven't watched Star wars.

But you're Robin if I was Batman ;D

Reactions: Mantis41 and eyes

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, glad you all like the title, never thought before posting, but here is my update. got my new motherboard and dvd pcb, everything installed great, got my old hitachi drive replaced the old pcb board with the one which came with the motherboard, and i now have life yeah, the drive loads up my games no problem, now i need somebody to lead me in the right direction, to flash my drive to play backup's
like i mentioned before i will be using the xbox power and the drive connected to the pc via sata cable, i have jungleflasher with firmware, just need to know how to get it all setup to begin flashing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1