Trudes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
I bought a 3DS XL Zelda Edition the other day and I really have no clear ideas in the world of flashcards or carts whatever they're called. For starters, I want to play NDS and 3DS games. Do I need seperate flashcards or carts for this? Also, I have no idea what the firmware on the 3DS is yet, and I won't know until it gets here. If anyone could provide me with links to legitimate websites where I can buy and download everything that I will need, and also maybe a little guide for me? Once again, I want to be able to play 3DS and DS ROMs, I'm willing to buy more than one card/cart, if needed. Please reply with any help on links or information you have. It is greatly appreciated. Also, is there emulators or any of that for 3DS?
Thanks,
Nate

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty of guides scattered around. If you buy a gateway the blue cart will play nds games but the compatability is not as good as the more expensive supercard dstwo which is highly recommended. The red card of gateway will play 3ds games 8f you have 4.1-4.5. Keep in mind there is now way to downgrade your console since you are buying it from someone else new or used. If you bought the ocarina of time 3ds new you should be ok. If yiu got link between worlds a 3ds mode flashcart wont work only an nds mode one.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the 3DS has two different modes : NDS mode and 3DS mode.
it's the same for 3DS flashcarts, there are flashcarts for NDS mode and flashcarts for 3DS mode.

3DS flashcarts:
The flashcarts for 3DS require the System version 4.1.0 to 4.5.0
if you are lower, you can update using a real game cartridge (Luigi's mansion for example will update to 4.5.0)
if you are higher, you are out of 3DS flashcarts, only NDS ROMs will work, look for NDS below.

There are 3 big Flashcart's manufacturer :
- Gateway
- R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe (and 3DSLink or Orange3DS. Same product, just a different name for marketing purpose)
- MT-Card

You can check the comparison chart here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_Comparison

These 3DS mode Flashcarts are all sold bundled with a NDS mode flashcart too.
To install 3DS exploit, you need to run a NDS homebrew, that's why all flashcarts are sold with 1 NDS mode + 1 3DS mode flashcarts.

NDS Flashcarts:
You can also buy a standalone NDS flashcart, no need to buy a 3DS Mode flashcart to get a cheap NDS card.

For NDS Flashcarts, Nintendo always release new protection which render existing cards obsolete. some of them have Firmware updates which counter nintendo's protection.
There are NDS Flashcarts working with the current latest System version 8.x
You can find a list of working flashcarts here:
http://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/

I recommend two cards:
1. Supercard DS Two (has a CPU inside the flashcarts, allowing bypassing of protection, and allowing GBA emulation). It's the most expansive card.
2. R4i 3DS Gold (NOT DELUXE. Deluxe model = 3DS mode flashcart), manufactured from r4ids.cn website
Attention, The website is important as there are a looooot of cards called "r4", most of them are outdated and not compatible.
Be sure to check the list on the website above.

esmrjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing you can do will let you play 3ds roms so you can skip that step. Just get the supercard ds 2 for nds and gba games.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
there are no emulators for 3ds.

there are no 3ds flashcards for your console (zelda 3ds, does come in 6.x)

there are some flashcarts for nds roms. DSTWO and r4i gold from http://r4ids.cn/ being an example.

Trudes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can someone give me a link for Supercard DSTWO on a real trusted website? Thanks

19cookies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
open up the new console he just adquired? also loosing the warranty? it would be better to get a 4.5 old console and put stickers on it...
I hadn't noticed he said he bought it new, sorry. I bought mine used and I don't remember it coming with a warranty.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I hadn't noticed he said he bought it new, sorry. I bought mine used and I don't remember it coming with a warranty.

if you bought it "used" on a store, and you got the receipt, you should had checked with the store their warranty policies about used items...

if you bought it from another person. well...

19cookies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you bought it "used" on a store, and you got the receipt, you should had checked with the store their warranty policies about used items...

if you bought it from another person. well...

I bought it from a store, I wasn't really looking for a warranty anyway because I knew I was taking it apart. I was just offering the OP a way to play 3DS roms on the Zelda 3DS XL.

Reactions: migles

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
To be fair shop offered warranties are pretty useless unless its faulty from day one.and.you return it within a few days......anything over that and only the most determined buyers will get a sniff at a replacement if it turns out to be faulty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over