Gaming I need help... Again...

Xavier.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn, I hate asking questions. I want to help other people too, but oh well.
So, I found my old DS Lite. And I powered it on, it worked, so I decided to play some New Super Mario Bros. and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
Literally 2 hours after I finished playing, I decided to play a little bit more.
Until, it wouldn't power on.
It flashes for a split second, and turns off immediately.
I tried to turn it on whilst charging, and still the same result.
I let it charge for 4 hours, and even after that, I still got the same problem.
After trying to turn it on for another 40 seconds, I noticed one important detail.
Every time I turn it on only the bottom screen flashes, the top screen just stays black.
And I do know that a DS won't turn on if it can't detect the top screen, but what I want to know is if the top screen is the only thing that can cause this.
I do know for a fact that I don't have a burnt fuse, neither is my battery damaged.
Is the top screen really the only thing that can cause this?
If so, how do I fix this? I've searched on YouTube how to do it, but all I could find was how to replace them.
Even if I did find what I want, it'd be outdated, I hope to see an answer that gives me a quicker way to fix this.
Oh, and.... I didn't drop the DS, never did.

EdwardElric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I hate asking questions. I want to help other people too, but oh well.
So, I found my old DS Lite. And I powered it on, it worked, so I decided to play some New Super Mario Bros. and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
Literally 2 hours after I finished playing, I decided to play a little bit more.
Until, it wouldn't power on.
It flashes for a split second, and turns off immediately.
I tried to turn it on whilst charging, and still the same result.
I let it charge for 4 hours, and even after that, I still got the same problem.
After trying to turn it on for another 40 seconds, I noticed one important detail.
Every time I turn it on only the bottom screen flashes, the top screen just stays black.
And I do know that a DS won't turn on if it can't detect the top screen, but what I want to know is if the top screen is the only thing that can cause this.
I do know for a fact that I don't have a burnt fuse, neither is my battery damaged.
Is the top screen really the only thing that can cause this?
If so, how do I fix this? I've searched on YouTube how to do it, but all I could find was how to replace them.
Even if I did find what I want, it'd be outdated, I hope to see an answer that gives me a quicker way to fix this.
Oh, and.... I didn't drop the DS, never did.
The ribbons for the top screen must have broke, somehow. I have ran into plenty of consoles with this problem and it was the ribbon. As for the fix, I cannot really help you there.

Xavier.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The ribbons for the top screen must have broke, somehow. I have ran into plenty of consoles with this problem and it was the ribbon. As for the fix, I cannot really help you there.
Oh no, the infamous ribbon thing.
Could it really be the ribbons though?
I just noticed that it makes a small "bop" sound whenever I turn it on.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No... a fucked top screen isn't the only cause t o this problem.
A disoldered resistor can ALSO cause this.
Try opening your DS and look for a resistor BETWEEN the Charging stuff and the battery marked as R01 and or R03 which supplies the electricity to your system.
If you can't see any of them... well... you have you'r problem.

Xavier.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah it is very possible for it to be the ribbon
Alright, thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No... a fucked top screen isn't the only cause t o this problem.
A disoldered resistor can ALSO cause this.
Try opening your DS and look for a resistor BETWEEN the Charging stuff and the battery marked as R01 and or R03 which supplies the electricity to your system.
If you can't see any of them... well... you have you'r problem.
I'll go check, I have to see if the ribbons are okay as well.
Thanks in advance.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
something like this happened to an old ds lite I had,, it was a short or broken wire. I had to take it to a console repair place and have them sodder it back on. try to get it looked at if one of those kinds of places are around you,, or well go to a pawn shop or amazon and get another ds lite. they are pretty cheap now

Yeniaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those that read this after this problem:
Do what people did for the first home computers... go to an area with a (real!) wood or harder floor, put it on the floor, pick it up 6 inches, and then drop it. This will help show if it's a ribbon or if a component needs reseating. If it works afterward, something needs resoldered. Otherwise, well... get a new screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol