Hardware I miss square LCD monitors for my PC !

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thunderbolt is different. It is basically PCI Express over MIni DisplayPort with the ability to daisy chain. You definitely are not going to see Thunderbolt on PS4. Some 4K TVs have DisplayPort input but not Thunderbolt. Overall Thunderbolt won't reach widespread adoption unless Intel open its specification up and standardize a way to allow Thunderbolt controller and dGPU interact. Even then you are only going to see it on device that needs to be connected to PC.

HDMI cable length wise it depends on the cable quality. High quality one are okay for about 100 ft before HDMI repeater is needed.

4K wise HDMI 1.4 supports 4096 x 2160 up to 30 fps. HDMI 2.0 adds more bandwidth, bumping it up to 60 fps.

yeah the daisycahin feature of thunderbolt 2 would have been good for me for the new consoles, cause my tv is wall mounted on one wall and my surround reciever and consoles and cable box are in a built in shelf in the wall on another wall,and i am OCD about hiding wires, had to snake wires up and down the walls through the attic , 25" HDMI , the kinect and sony eye need to be mounted on top or bottom of the tv , if the new consoles connected with thunderbolt people with similar setups could have just plugged the kinect or sony eye into the tv without having to run a seperate cable which probably dont even exist in the proper length ,but guess it wouldnt help me till a long time down the road as i am not planning to upgrade to UHD tv anytime soon,or even to xbone or ps4
i suppose they could have made the cameras blutooh or wifi , same problem with the wii motion bar, but at least that was just 2 infrared leds that didnt need to be connected to the console so you could use wireless battery operated motion bar

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But they have gold plated connectors, are 4 times thicker than regular hdmi cables, and have flames painted on it to make it faster
Its better
Joking aside, gold plated connectors actually have one real advantage, resistive to oxidation (rust). It can happen if you leave the cable connected for a long time without disconnect and reconnect.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure they make 1:1 ratio computer monitors, 4:3 isn't a square, do you even square?

I meant 4:3.
By square I meant less rectangular.
I think PC monitors are too big now.
My monitors are usually close to me, I don't need super wide.
It just forces my eyes to saccade all over the place.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure they make 1:1 ratio computer monitors, 4:3 isn't a square, do you even square?

They made 5:4 LCD monitors, which were more square than any other aspect ratio that people used.

Personally, I'll probably be sticking to this 20" 4:3 CRT that I picked up recently until it dies. Who needs those $200-$300 144Hz LCDs when you can get one that can handle those high refresh rates at a fraction of the price? (although I'd still prefer a widescreen aspect ratio due to what I use it for. They do make widescreen CRTs, and the supposed "holy grail of CRT monitors" is 24" and comes in at 16:10, however it is rarer and more expensive than other monitors)

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and the supposed "holy grail of CRT monitors" is 24" and comes in at 16:10, however it is rarer and more expensive than other monitors)
I have a HP monitor ... the biggest CRT I've ever seen. It weights 50 lbs and is ultra long. I'll check what size it is.
It must draw 300Watts mind you. Not sure of the aspect ratio.

003s.jpg

Here's a copy of my typical setup.
The right monitor is for reading documents and the left monitor is for most things.
I usually don't want a wide screen monitor on the left as it will just take up too much room.
The Left monitor is 1280 x 1024. That's what I call "square" :) But I guess it is 5:4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just the lens on your camera or is the portrait screen stretched (look at the ? avatar).

Widescreen 16:10 CRT you say.... I could go one of those. I had a big computer CRT at one point but it had come out of a monitoring room so I only had it for its last few hundred hours. The thing kept my little corner warm until I made a games machine the following year.

I still rock a CRT to this day though (partially because I like them, partially because I am too bone idle to finish recapping one of the dead monitors), 1400x1050 is a great res. I really should it back to that on my new install.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I do the opposite. My Dell UltraSharp is on the left and can be rotated to make it vertical (I lose access to two USB ports though) for page documents (Word, etc) and the right monitor is my LG Flatron which has my consoles plugged into its various ports.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One day I really ought to look into getting a proper monitor stand so I can try this rotation lark. I usually consider it a good day if the one I get comes with more than a fixed stand. Of course I only recently rejoined the two monitor world (teach me to not check if it was dvi-d only, alternatively teach me to still exclusively use VGA past 2010).

Sadly nobody seems to have thrown any nice stands out despite throwing out very nice monitors equipment otherwise.

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg - do you use HDMI ?

HDMI would be to connect my camcorder ? HD TV receiver ?

I guess this setup has room for a 16:9 monitor.
I think I'll go for that. Sounds like HDMI would be useful to me.

thanks tbgtbg.

tbgtbg - If I have a monitor connected to a PC ... and the PC is on. If I plug something into the HDMI .. will I be able to view it without disconnecting the monitor ?

ASUS VS247H-P, 23.6" Full HD LED SLIM Widescreen Monitor,
- 1920x1080, 2ms(GtG), 50M:1(ASCR),
- D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI

might just get this.

I actually use the exact model number monitor (the ASUS 247H) that you're considering. It has been my primary monitor for the past three and a half years, and I use it 8-12 hours a day for work and gaming purposes. The reaction time feels excellent for gaming, and I especially like its color contrast (I'm quite picky about color contrast, so I went to a local Fry's store to compare other monitors first-hand before selecting this one). Last I checked, most places sell it for sub-$200. If budget isn't a concern, I would also recommend taking a look one of Asus's IPS panels. They have better color contrast, and are brighter and more vivid compared to mine.

It has VGA and DVI ports in addition to the HDMI, so I don't think you'll have any compatibility issues switching from something with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Note that if you're using this for gaming purposes and don't have a mid-range graphics card that was purchased within the past 4 years, then you may see a performance drop when rendering FHD graphics at 1920x1080.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a HP monitor ... the biggest CRT I've ever seen. It weights 50 lbs and is ultra long. I'll check what size it is.
It must draw 300Watts mind you. Not sure of the aspect ratio.
If it is a widescreen CRT, I'd check the model number if I were you. The HP A7217A is actually a rebranding of said "holy grail" monitor (the Sony GDM-FW900). It has a nice resolution (1920x1200@85Hz), has very nice colour reproduction and contrast, and is also generally great for gaming and/or fast-paced movement (CRTs have less visual latency and motion blur than even a 1ms LCD). The only real downsides, as you mentioned, is the size and the power draw (which is closer to 170W if I remember correctly).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
One day I really ought to look into getting a proper monitor stand so I can try this rotation lark. I usually consider it a good day if the one I get comes with more than a fixed stand. Of course I only recently rejoined the two monitor world (teach me to not check if it was dvi-d only, alternatively teach me to still exclusively use VGA past 2010).

Sadly nobody seems to have thrown any nice stands out despite throwing out very nice monitors equipment otherwise.
Rotation works well for very specific uses. It allows you to see much more of websites and data sets (documents, charts, tables, logs, etc) but it's not for everyone. I write novels so that's where I best make use out of it, but many would try it out once for the novelty of it and never use it again.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My beast monitor is a HP 20" Multisync Color Monitor A4331D (CRT)
1_1_1851783.jpg

21"(49cm) Hewlett Packard A4331D

SONY Trinitron monitor
50Hz-150Hz
1280 X 1024
1520 X 1140

It is insanely heavy.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My beast monitor is a HP 20" Multisync Color Monitor A4331D (CRT)
/snip
A 5:4 CRT :o
Well, since it only goes up to 1280x1024@75Hz (lower refresh rates on CRTs are more harmful to your eyes, and that's near the bare minimum for eyestrain-free usage), I personally think the resolution isn't high enough for general usage so I'd only want to use it to play FPSes or any other type of fast-paced high-movement type of game. And for that, you'd want to run at a lower resolution so you can overclock the refresh rate through your GPU's drivers (It's risky unless you know what you're doing. Some monitors have some sort of failsafe to prevent you from destroying your monitor by going too high, but I dunno if yours has one).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn