Hardware I Just Can't "Get Down" with the Switch

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You JUST proved my point on why the Switch sucks as a home console. Once one player takes the console away from home, the rest of the family will need a SECOND or third or fourth Switch for others to keep playing. :hateit:
You take a 3DS away from home, and there will need to be more for others to play. You take a Wii U away from home, and there will need to be more for others to play. You take any singular object away, and it's gone. that's how the world works. What do you expect they'd do, sell the consoles in dual-pack bundles for the cost of one?

Reactions: Pecrow

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You take a 3DS away from home, and there will need to be more for others to play. You take a Wii U away from home, and there will need to be more for others to play. You take any singular object away, and it's gone. that's how the world works. What do you expect they'd do, sell the consoles in dual-pack bundles for the cost of one?

UGH! The 3DS is a PORTABLE, It is expected to be a one person experience! The Switch is a HOME CONSOLE with portable functionality. People don't just randomly take their home consoles out with them unless they are going on a trip where they expect to have a extended gaming session with other people. Again, Switch fails as a home console. I could see if the the dock at least allowed other people to stream games they purchased from the eShop while the tab is away but if the dock is a dummy, this console..... UGH! Fuck this! I want to see Nintendo succeed but It's like being in a abusive relationship. You're gonna need a hell of a lot more than roses and candy to win me back!

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UGH! The 3DS is a PORTABLE, It is expected to be a one person experience! The Switch is a HOME CONSOLE with portable functionality. People don't just randomly take their home consoles out with them unless they are going on a trip where they expect to have a extended gaming session with other people. Again, Switch fails as a home console. I could see if the the dock at least allowed other people to stream games they purchased from the eShop while the tab is away but if the dock is a dummy, this console..... UGH! Fuck this! I want to see Nintendo succeed but It's like being in a abusive relationship. You're gonna need a hell of a lot more than roses and candy to win me back!
The Switch is a hybrid. In the past, if you wanted both a portable and a home console experience, you'd buy a portable and you'd buy a home console. Thus, you'd be buying two devices. With the switch, you can get both a portable and console experience with one device. It is one device, though, so it doesn't exist in two places at once. If you want to have the same capability to take one with you and leave one at home, you can do that by buying two, just like when you had to buy two devices to get that capability. However with the hybrid approach, people such as myself who don't have to worry about one in two places simultaneously can buy a single device instead of two.

I really don't get what you expected from them. It's like you have this vision that requires pixie dust be involved in the making of the console so it magically can be used to it's full extent independently in two different places simultaneously. And when Nintendo didn't do it, because it's literally impossible, you curse them and tell them to fuck off for not making use of this pixie dust you envisioned making it happen.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you know that the New MARiO game is Mario Galaxy 3?

Rumor, not confirmed and even if it is Galaxy 3, a Mario game alone can NOT be the selling point for a console releasing in 2017. Hell, even Sony and Microsoft wouldn't be brazen enough to try to use a Halo or God of War as the sole selling point of a console.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is a hybrid. In the past, if you wanted both a portable and a home console experience, you'd buy a portable and you'd buy a home console. Thus, you'd be buying two devices. With the switch, you can get both a portable and console experience with one device. It is one device, though, so it doesn't exist in two places at once. If you want to have the same capability to take one with you and leave one at home, you can do that by buying two, just like when you had to buy two devices to get that capability. However with the hybrid approach, people such as myself who don't have to worry about one in two places simultaneously can buy a single device instead of two.

I really don't get what you expected from them. It's like you have this vision that requires pixie dust be involved in the making of the console so it magically can be used to it's full extent independently in two different places simultaneously. And when Nintendo didn't do it, because it's literally impossible, you curse them and tell them to fuck off for not making use of this pixie dust you envisioned making it happen.

Have you ever heard of something called a "thin client"? It's not impossible to make the dock into that for the sake of streaming games.

Reactions: Veho

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is coming just in time and in the correct time, just like the Wii. All of this is just hate on something that has not even been completely shown. Ill take any and all bad feedback 6 months after its relese.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever heard of something called a "thin client"? It's not impossible to make the dock into that for the sake of streaming games.
So you want the handheld to be purely for streaming which introduces significant latency and requires an internet connection at all times to work? Oh, and I hope you don't plan on having a physical library of games, since you won't be able to switch them out when you're on the road. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. A unit with an unreliable ability to work on the road and impossible to change games. And of course these sacrifices to the usability of the console should be made because of the one use-case where one person walks away with the unit and someone else wants to play it while it's away but isn't actively using it at the time. Actually, you'd probably complain that the remote unit and the base unit aren't both working at the same time and Nintendo fucked up by not letting them both play independently at the same time.

Reactions: Kioku

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you want the handheld to be purely for streaming which introduces significant latency and requires an internet connection at all times to work? Oh, and I hope you don't plan on having a physical library of games, since you won't be able to switch them out when you're on the road. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. A unit with an unreliable ability to work on the road and impossible to change games. And of course these sacrifices to the usability of the console should be made because of the one use-case where one person walks away with the unit and someone else wants to play it while it's away but isn't actively using it at the time. Actually, you'd probably complain that the remote unit and the base unit aren't both working at the same time and Nintendo fucked up by not letting them both play independently at the same time.

You're missing my point. The handheld should function as shown in the trailer BUT the dock should have enough processing power and a low end OS to access cloud copies of your game library. There should also be a small amount of space allowing you to keep some saves on the dock until the other user returns with the handheld. Hell, they could even save more money and just force users to use SUB storage for dock related saves. I'm saying, don't leave the dock as a dummy for only housing the portable. Give it a legitimate use.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're missing my point. The handheld should function as shown in the trailer BUT the dock should have enough processing power and a low end OS to access cloud copies of your game library. There should also be a small amount of space allowing you to keep some saves on the dock until the other user returns with the handheld. Hell, they could even save more money and just force users to use SUB storage for dock related saves. I'm saying, don't leave the dock as a dummy for only housing the portable. Give it a legitimate use.
No, I get your point, but it's a stupid point.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO We're obviously not going to agree on anything but dude, don't just blindly follow Nintendo and act as if the last four years didn't exist.
Newsflash: Not everyone who disagrees with you is blind. So many damned self-important narcissists on here think that their opinion is the objective truth on the matter and will scream bloody hell whenever something doesn't line up with their opinion.

You come on here droning on about how shitty the Switch is (which we've only seen a brief 3-minute reveal clip on; full details aren't even out) because it doesn't follow your shitty vision for what it should be. Oh no, one specific use-case that will affect a limited subset of potential purchasers a slim percentage of the time isn't met? Fuck that console! They should make it more expensive to produce to fit that niche scenario and fit MY needs! Oh, and they'd better not increase the cost-to-consumer to do so, those greedy fuckers!

Reactions: Friendsxix

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
LMAO We're obviously not going to agree on anything but dude, don't just blindly follow Nintendo and act as if the last four years didn't exist.
You're right, the WiiU sucked. Get over it. Your opinion is just that.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about with Vision now.. Your points have tons of holes.

Last edited by Kioku,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
UGH! The 3DS is a PORTABLE, It is expected to be a one person experience! The Switch is a HOME CONSOLE with portable functionality.
You keep saying that (and you keep describing Nintendo's intentions and business plans in detail, based solely on one 3 minute video). Take a look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet, a device with pretty much the exact same features as the Switch, and tell me, is it a home console?

D

Deleted-401606

Am I the only one here feeling that the Switch is highway robbery? If it's as powerful as the first gen Xbox One then the blow isn't that bad but when the first few games are

- Skyrim (a game most people already have
- Splatoon (a updated Wii U version)
- Mario Kart ( also a updated Wii U game)
- Zelda (most likely better on Wii U)
- new mario (probably a saving grace but it's gonna be hard to top galaxy)

It's really hard to sell me on this console when you're trying to get me to buy the same damn games I just purchased less than four years ago. Screw the slight updates to Mario Kart and Splatoon. I can bet you these will be the same damn Wii U games. This is highway robbery and people are just sucking this up.

I haven't even got into the fact that the dock is useless without the damn tab. To me the console is a FAMILY experience. The fact that one person can just hijack the damn tablet just doesn't make the Switch feel like a console. Add in the rumor that Nintendo doesn't plan to support digital games on this thing (in regards to external hard drives), what's the damn point?

People say that the Wii was just a rebrand of the GameCube but it did have a graphics bump. Thing is at least the Wii had things that made the transition easy and it just didn't feel like GameCube 2.0. There was WiFi, online gaming, a web browser, streaming video apps, weather and news apps, motion controls, multiple styles of control, lots of things that made Wii feel different than GameCube.

What makes Switch different than Wii U???? If anything, aside from graphics, the damn thing feels like a downgrade from Wii U. Sorry but it feels like Nintendo is saying: "we fucked up but here's a new Wii U with a swapping gimmick".

Honestly,Nintendo has been robbing us for quite some time. This website is a bit too biased in always siding with nintendo(I know GBAtemp) . I can't understand for the life of me why they cant just release a normal console with the nintendo exclusives we all love.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

richardparker

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I guess I'm a Nintendo fanboy then, for thinking that nintendo is doing great. . .

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, I'm expecting ports of games I've already played and dont know whether I'll buy them again on Switch. However, I don't think they're there for Wii U owners who have already played them; they're there (hopefully) because the install base was so low on Wii U that it's a pretty smart move to port your best stuff to reach a whole new audience. People still want to play Nintendo games, but the Wii U was not at all attractive and there was barely any support in the past year. Wii U owners were pretty burned. Switch intends to reach a bigger install base.

Third party is also important. It will need as much as possible to start with so that some momentum is built up. That means more ports. If you've played them, then yes, you might not be bothered, but the more games there are, the more desirable the Switch, the bigger the install base, the more games come eventually.

We don't know everything about the Switch yet. At the price point leaked (not confirmed) it is not possible, I think, that the dock will do anything more than cool the tablet and connect to TV with some kind of upscaling. There's still scope for an SCD later on. Also, the Nvidia Shiled K1, to which the Switch is the spiritual successor with a Nintendo twist, boasted cloud gaming via streaming from supercomputers in the cloud. Not saying that that will happen for the Switch, but the technology exists at least, so although essentially a tablet, it may not be power-limited or feature-limited when docked. Cost for that, I suppose, would be via a subscription method, so no cost addition to the actual device. It's a big IF, but I'm really just saying here that it's worth keeping an open mind at this stage. My gut's saying it probably won't be that, but my heart is hoping it is all the same. For that, a large install base would surely be necessary.

Just my two cents.
Thank you!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure what LightyKD is going on about...angry that it has functionality that the other consoles don't? That's precisely why I'm interested in Switch instead of the other consoles. Most people already have several devices that stay in one place. So not only is making a hybrid console a smart move from a marketing perspective, it's also the only sensible feature add that's non-gimmicky.

Why worry about the people at home when it's your console? Assuming you don't go everywhere alone, that's what the dual controller functionality is for. Multi-player on the go.

Last edited by Xzi,

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
'm saying, don't leave the dock as a dummy for only housing the portable. Give it a legitimate use.
Good idea but what about costs? Nintendo likes saving yen, above all else. They have used their tight hardware ways as a weapon against more advanced competitors for decades, hoping that the public buys into their 'different ways'. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes not.

Also, the more complexity you add, the more chance of having less security. Another reason to keep things simple as possible.

Last edited by foob,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself