Hardware I Just Can't "Get Down" with the Switch

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one here feeling that the Switch is highway robbery? If it's as powerful as the first gen Xbox One then the blow isn't that bad but when the first few games are

- Skyrim (a game most people already have
- Splatoon (a updated Wii U game)
- Mario Kart ( also a updated Wii U game)
- Zelda (most likely better on Wii U)
- new mario (probably a saving grace but it's gonna be hard to top galaxy)

It's really hard to sell me on this console when you're trying to get me to buy the same damn games I just purchased less than four years ago. Screw the slight updates to Mario Kart and Splatoon. I can bet you these will be the same damn Wii U games. This is highway robbery and people are just sucking this up.

I haven't even got into the fact that the dock is useless without the damn tab. To me the console is a FAMILY experience. The fact that one person can just hijack the damn tablet just doesn't make the Switch feel like a console. Add in the rumor that Nintendo doesn't plan to support digital games on this thing (in regards to external hard drives), what's the damn point?

People say that the Wii was just a rebrand of the GameCube but it did have a graphics bump. Thing is at least the Wii had things that made the transition easy and it just didn't feel like GameCube 2.0. There was WiFi, online gaming, a web browser, streaming video apps, weather and news apps, motion controls, multiple styles of control, lots of things that made Wii feel different than GameCube.

What makes Switch different than Wii U???? If anything, aside from graphics, the damn thing feels like a downgrade from Wii U. Sorry but it feels like Nintendo is saying: "we fucked up but here's a new Wii U with a swapping gimmick".

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1. The fact that the controls look far more comfortable for most people than what the WiiU gave us.

2. The tablet is no longer a second screen gimmick.

2a. True portable home console.

3. They coupled with Nvidia. Rather than AMD. I expect better overall performance in comparison to the WiiU.

4. Its the final nail in the coffin for Nintendos worst home console to date.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Skyrim (a game most people already have) Ports are always nice
- Splatoon (a updated Wii U version) New hair and pants. That is something the splatoon community is amazed about.
- Mario Kart ( also a updated Wii U game) That was likely a techdemo, I doubt that it would be the same.
- Zelda (most likely better on Wii U) I can see where your going with that. But their is always a chance they won't release for wii u
- new mario (probably a saving grace but it's gonna be hard to top galaxy) Some think they are working on Galaxy 3
It's really hard to sell me on this console when you're trying to get me to buy the same damn games I just purchased less than four years ago. Screw the slight updates to Mario Kart and Splatoon. I can bet you these will be the same damn Wii U games. This is highway robbery and people are just sucking this up. If you have been in these communities you would see why they are so hyped. I mean come on new hair AND pants!

I haven't even got into the fact that the dock is useless without the damn tab. To me the console is a FAMILY experience. The fact that one person can just hijack the damn tablet just doesn't make the Switch feel like a console. Add in the rumor that Nintendo doesn't plan to support digital games on this thing (in regards to external hard drives), what's the damn point? Someone could just hijack the gamepad and have full control. Your point. Regarding memory why would the dock have two usb ports?

People say that the Wii was just a rebrand of the GameCube but it did have a graphics bump. Thing is at least the Wii had things that made the transition easy and it just didn't feel like GameCube 2.0. There was WiFi, online gaming, a web browser, streaming video apps, weather and news apps, motion controls, multiple styles of control, lots of things that made Wii feel different than GameCube. You basically said the same thing 4 times and then motion controls. Their hasn't been major stuff like that nowadays. Back then that was amazing.

What makes Switch different than Wii U???? If anything, aside from graphics, the damn thing feels like a downgrade from Wii U. Sorry but it feels like Nintendo is saying: "we fucked up but here's a new Wii U with a swapping gimmick". It is an update. It fixes something that everyone hated. Portableness of the gamepad. Now you can play with all your friend in the car or something.
Read the bold parts

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the bold parts

Read the bold parts and my feelings still stand. I'm not against ports when they are ports of games that were never on a Nintendo consoles. If I remember correctly, many people on this forum were all anti ports when the Wii U first came out. Bet those same people wished we had PS3/360 ports on Wii U now.

As for hijacking the Switch tablet, at least the Wii U is still usable without a gamepad. I had a Wii U with only Wii Remotes for a long while before so could afford a Gamepad and things were mostly fine. The switch on the other hand is completely useless without the tablet and that's a damn shame. Furthermore, those USB ports could simply be for accessories. Remember, Skylanders, Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions all feature "portals" that plug into USB ports.

Lastly, if anyone is reading this and enjoys the idea of the Switch, go, have fun. Everyone has a right to be happy with their gaming, I'm just stating why I can't get with this console and also playing Devil's advocate.

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Xiphiidae and iAqua

Ikki Barri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the bold parts and my feelings still stand. I'm not against ports when they are ports of games that were never on a Nintendo consoles. If I remember correctly, many people on this forum were all anti ports when the Wii U first came out. Bet those same people wished we had PS3/360 ports on Wii U now.

As for hijacking the Switch tablet, at least the Wii U is still usable without a gamepad. I had a Wii U with only Wii Remotes for a long while before so could afford a Gamepad and things were mostly fine. The switch on the other hand is completely useless without the tablet and that's a damn shame. Furthermore, those USB ports could simply be for accessories. Remember, Skylanders, Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions all feature "portals" that plug into USB ports.

Lastly, if anyone is reading this and enjoys the idea of the Switch, go, have fun. Everyone has a right to be happy with their gaming, I'm just stating why I can't get with this console and also playing Devil's advocate.

Yes, I'm expecting ports of games I've already played and dont know whether I'll buy them again on Switch. However, I don't think they're there for Wii U owners who have already played them; they're there (hopefully) because the install base was so low on Wii U that it's a pretty smart move to port your best stuff to reach a whole new audience. People still want to play Nintendo games, but the Wii U was not at all attractive and there was barely any support in the past year. Wii U owners were pretty burned. Switch intends to reach a bigger install base.

Third party is also important. It will need as much as possible to start with so that some momentum is built up. That means more ports. If you've played them, then yes, you might not be bothered, but the more games there are, the more desirable the Switch, the bigger the install base, the more games come eventually.

We don't know everything about the Switch yet. At the price point leaked (not confirmed) it is not possible, I think, that the dock will do anything more than cool the tablet and connect to TV with some kind of upscaling. There's still scope for an SCD later on. Also, the Nvidia Shiled K1, to which the Switch is the spiritual successor with a Nintendo twist, boasted cloud gaming via streaming from supercomputers in the cloud. Not saying that that will happen for the Switch, but the technology exists at least, so although essentially a tablet, it may not be power-limited or feature-limited when docked. Cost for that, I suppose, would be via a subscription method, so no cost addition to the actual device. It's a big IF, but I'm really just saying here that it's worth keeping an open mind at this stage. My gut's saying it probably won't be that, but my heart is hoping it is all the same. For that, a large install base would surely be necessary.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: LightyKD

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The Switch concept doesn't excite me.

* I think we will get 'less-than-it-should-be' home console performance along with a 'not-very-convenient' portable. Two things almost nobody really wants.
* I think there is a significant amount of users that will just use the Switch at home. I think NIntendo should make a Switch Home in future. In doing so they could profit tremendously by the savings of not having to make a portable. By making a Switch Home, Nintendo would be hurting Sony and Microsoft on price while still profiting on hardware.
* Games, games games. Games will decide the fate of the Switch, like usual.
* I'm sure the Nintendo management likes the fact that the same game can be used on TV and portable equally. I'm sure they view it a strategic way to compete with phones and tablets as well as home consoles, but I am less sure of the compromises that come along with this

It will all come down to the games and how well the hardware holds up. I think the portable aspect of the Switch will be several times less popular than the Home functions (even though playing without using the TV is very nice). I personally am not excited to use the Switch outside of home. I think Nintendo should definitely make a non-switchable Switch for the many that don't care to use it as a portable. Because Nintendo are 'Kings Of Saving Yen', I think this will happen (in time, not right away).

Last edited by foob,
D

Deleted User

As for hijacking the Switch tablet, at least the Wii U is still usable without a gamepad. I had a Wii U with only Wii Remotes for a long while before so could afford a Gamepad and things were mostly fine. The switch on the other hand is completely useless without the tablet and that's a damn shame.
The tablet is literally the console, of course the dock part will be useless if you lose the tablet. If you lose an o3DS then the NFC reader is useless, too.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not excited for the switch either. I feel like there will be too many compromises. I don't think it will be a great home console or a great portable, just okay in both areas.

I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but literally EVERY single person I've talked to irl about this just wants a normal Nintendo console.

D

Deleted-400430

Am I the only one here feeling that the Switch is highway robbery? If it's as powerful as the first gen Xbox One then the blow isn't that bad but when the first few games are

- Skyrim (a game most people already have) Ok.
- Splatoon (a updated Wii U version) Ok.
- Mario Kart ( also a updated Wii U game) Ok.
- Zelda (most likely better on Wii U) Ok.
- new mario (probably a saving grace but it's gonna be hard to top galaxy) Eh, aren't all of them the same game?

It's really hard to sell me on this console when you're trying to get me to buy the same damn games I just purchased less than four years ago. Screw the slight updates to Mario Kart and Splatoon. I can bet you these will be the same damn Wii U games. This is highway robbery and people are just sucking this up. I agree.

I haven't even got into the fact that the dock is useless without the damn tab. To me the console is a FAMILY experience. The fact that one person can just hijack the damn tablet just doesn't make the Switch feel like a console. Add in the rumor that Nintendo doesn't plan to support digital games on this thing (in regards to external hard drives), what's the damn point? I agree.

People say that the Wii was just a rebrand of the GameCube but it did have a graphics bump. Thing is at least the Wii had things that made the transition easy and it just didn't feel like GameCube 2.0. There was WiFi, online gaming, a web browser, streaming video apps, weather and news apps, motion controls, multiple styles of control, lots of things that made Wii feel different than GameCube. Yeah.

What makes Switch different than Wii U???? If anything, aside from graphics, the damn thing feels like a downgrade from Wii U. Sorry but it feels like Nintendo is saying: "we fucked up but here's a new Wii U with a swapping gimmick". Eh.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Release games always suck IMO. Normally gotta wait a few months for the good games.

The tablet is the system. So if someone hijacks that then thats like someone pickin up your ps4 or x1 and walking out the room.
I dont understand what your fusing about there.

Graphic wise. I havent seen any specs. But since ps4 and x1 havent made a new system yet. It should all be fine of the nintendo switch is on par with ps4 and x1.

Reactions: Deleted User

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not excited for the switch either. I feel like there will be too many compromises. I don't think it will be a great home console or a great portable, just okay in both areas.

I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but literally EVERY single person I've talked to irl about this just wants a normal Nintendo console.

The days of the SNES styled "normal Nintendo" is gone. All I wanted was more of what the Wii was offering but in HD with some damn decent media playing capability. The Wii U could have been that and was powerful enough to do so but Nintendo had no vision. No sense of direction and fucked up badly.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The appeal is that you might be able to get all of Nintendo's great first-party titles from both their mobile and home console divisions. Existing and future games. On top of which, Nvidia will bring in a higher likelihood of other partner developers. That's assuming Switch doesn't have gamestream, though. If it does, third-party support will not be a concern at all.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Deleted User

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They will also made a new hard mario party minigame about spin the tablet with your finger like school days.
I cant wait... to see people playing it... and losing.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They will also made a new hard mario party minigame about spin the tablet with your finger like school days.
I cant wait... to see people playing it... and losing.
My lower palm had no skin for a while. Youngins don't know what we suffered through to bring them modern gaming, dag-gubnit!

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y