Hacking I have some questions regarding the Supercard DSTwo.

Whinpful

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys :) as you may have seen, I'm looking forward to getting a DSTwo instead of a R4i since the GBA/SNES emulation and the extra CPU captured my interest.

I have some questions regarding the emulation and battery life. Sorry if they have already been answered! ^^'

1. I've heard that, if you keep the flashcart on the DS slot, the battery will drain really fast, even when the app is closed. Is that true? (I use a 3DS XL, btw)
2. I've heard the GBA/SNES/GBC emulation causes some glitches and slowdowns. I'm looking to play the Pokemon GB/GBC/GBA series, Earthbound/Mother 3, A Link to the Past, Minish Cap, etc, etc.and some other games. Is there any way to reduce the slowdown? Also, the games I mentioned, will they work on the DSTwo?
3. Is there a working NES emulator for DSTwo? =o Can't deny that NES is one of my favorite systems.
4. Will DSTwo work with the most recent 3DS update, 9.0-something from Europe, that adds themes? Or should I wait before ordering my DSTwo?
5. I've heard there's some sort of spring (I don't know what's that for) in the flashcart that may break, making your DSTwo unusable. Is it true?

I had some other question in mind but I forgot what it was about lol.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
1. I've heard that, if you keep the flashcart on the DS slot, the battery will drain really fast, even when the app is closed. Is that true? (I use a 3DS XL, btw)
Yes, this is true and it is going to happen with every flashcart. Flashcarts drain more battery than retail game cartridge would. I suggest never leave the flashcart in the game slot and the console in sleep mode.
2. I've heard the GBA/SNES/GBC emulation causes some glitches and slowdowns. I'm looking to play the Pokemon GB/GBC/GBA series, Earthbound/Mother 3, A Link to the Past, Minish Cap, etc, etc.and some other games. Is there any way to reduce the slowdown? Also, the games I mentioned, will they work on the DSTwo?
3. Is there a working NES emulator for DSTwo? =o Can't deny that NES is one of my favorite systems.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTWO_GBA_Emulator_Compatibility
Here is a pretty extensive list of GBA game compatibility for DSTwo. It seems that Mother 3, Minish Cap and every Pokemon game will work.

http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-7139-1-1.html
This list doesn't seem to be as up to date as the GBAtemp wiki page, but at least this mentions Earthbound and A Link to the Past working fine.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTwo_Plugin_Emulators
There seems to be 4 different SNES emulators for the DSTwo you can try. Appears to be 3 NES emulators as well. :)

As for the slowdown and glitches, the DSTwo specific emulators are not perfect as far as I'm aware, but they are pretty much the best you are going to get on a DS mode flashcart. There is different speed settings etcetera depending on the emulator you use (I know snemulds has them for example), but I don't really know enough to go into detail how well they work on the DSTwo specific emulators.
4. Will DSTwo work with the most recent 3DS update, 9.0-something from Europe, that adds themes? Or should I wait before ordering my DSTwo?
Yes, it is confirmed to work.
5. I've heard there's some sort of spring (I don't know what's that for) in the flashcart that may break, making your DSTwo unusable. Is it true?
I believe the spring is for the microsd slot in the cart. I don't know if DSTwo has one or not, but I know DSTT (very old flashcart) had one and yes, they can break.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys :) as you may have seen, I'm looking forward to getting a DSTwo instead of a R4i since the GBA/SNES emulation and the extra CPU captured my interest.

I have some questions regarding the emulation and battery life. Sorry if they have already been answered! ^^'

1.) Of course, more hardware is in there.
2.) Emulation will not be perfect on a ds.
3.) I use NESDS
4.) It should
5.) I have had mine for a while, the spring is fine.

Just beware, it is ever so slightly bigger than a normal game cartridge, making it a little tight.

Whinpful

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the quick answers :) only saw it now sorry. I'm more tempted to buy a DSTwo :P
Is nds-card.com safe to order from? I'm a bit suspicious since it's from Hong Kong... I'm afraid to order a fake one or something.

I'm off to bed so I will only check this when I wake up, sorry if I'm kinda late to answer ^^'

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is nds-card.com safe to order from? I'm a bit suspicious since it's from Hong Kong... I'm afraid to order a fake one or something.
I can't speak from personal experience as I have never ordered anything from nds-card.com, but they have been an official GBAtemp sponsor for a long time, so I would imagine changes are pretty low you will be getting fake goods from them. :)
http://gbatemp.net/dynamic/nds-card-com-gbatemp-trusted-reseller.91/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-card-com-sponsor-appreciation-day.361691/

BestR4i3DS.com

Trophies
Website
www.New3DSCard.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick answers :) only saw it now sorry. I'm more tempted to buy a DSTwo :P

I'm off to bed so I will only check this when I wake up, sorry if I'm kinda late to answer ^^'
There is no fake DSTwo till nowB-)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is no fake DSTwo till nowB-)
Um... there is one:
15y68pg.jpg

Codename PUMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm from a full playthrough that EarthBound is wonderful on CATSFC. You'll experience some slowdown, but that's typically while a lot of things are on screen (I went into a little more detail here http://gbatemp.net/threads/catsfc-game-compatibility.365912/ - EarthBound is in light green). I only got up to Moldorm on ALTTP but that worked swell.

I still haven't used an NES emulator yet but if there are games you are worried might not work I can try them out.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1: Yes, the hardware in the flashcart remains powered. Since it has the added CPU and RAM, it will drain more power than other flashcarts.
2: Emulation is rarely perfect. Even first-party emulators (like the N64 emulation wrapper for the Gamecube on The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition) have problems.
3: You can use regular DS homebrew on the DSTwo as well.
4: Yes. At least it does on the US version.
5: I've never had mine break, so I can't say.

I mostly use R4i myself, but that's for better battery life. Whenever I want to play a GBA game, I always have my Game Boy Micro with its flashcart. I wouldn't worry about the emulation problems, it's just par the course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end