Hacking I finally got an R4i Flashcard...... Now what?

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I DS flashcard finally came in today, but i'm not sure how to get it fully up and running. I have A9LH, Luma and TWLoader. I tried downloading a wood kernal but i just get stuck on a black screen. Can someone point me in the right direction. I'm on version 11.3 but also have a 3DS on version 11.2 (A9LH)

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1062x1500.jpeg.d3c851b365164b478e9fe56992939a77

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you have following this yet? https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting
Well, i found a working kernel and can "boot" DS games but i get a white screen. I would have never thought about going back to the guide to fix this. Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did you have following this yet? https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting
Well I'm getting closer to getting it working. I followed the troubleshoot on the guide and it did help, but some games still have a blank white screen and some games show the nintendo logo but don't go past that. :(

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you download the kernel from their site?
Yep. I even redownloaded it, installed it, and tried to boot up Super Mario 64. The nintendo logo shows up for a moment and then i get a black screen. With other games, i get a white screen or a nintendo logo on a white screen and nothing else.

Did you download the kernel from their site?
Also it can't be my 3DS. I plugged in the card to my old DS and DS Light and still nothing :/

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If the 3DS lets you launch the flashcard but the flashcard doesn't work after that, then it's typically a kernel problem. If I remember correctly, the original Wood firmware isn't the correct one for the R4i Gold, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I set mine up, but I remember I had similar problems until I found the correct kernel. If you still have trouble with InsaneNutter's recommendation, I can send you the kernel files from my own microSD.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try formatting your Micro SD card used in the flash card as FAT32 with an allocation unit size of 8192. I have the same flashcard and that resolved my issues.

You also want to use this kernel if you are not already: https://filetrip.net/dl?FhXOBrY7vI
Thank you and @TCJJ for your help. Sadly, i still am unable to get it to work. I formatted my sd card with a unit size of 8192, downloaded the kernel InsaneNutter provided, and still am not getting any of my games to load. I really have no idea why that is. :(

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thank you and @TCJJ for your help. Sadly, i still am unable to get it to work. I formatted my sd card with a unit size of 8192, downloaded the kernel InsaneNutter provided, and still am not getting any of my games to load. I really have no idea why that is. :(
It could indeed be a problem with the microSD card. I wouldn't worry about the unit size - if you're using Windows, the default allocation should be fine.

I've uploaded the files on my card here (I've included the TWLoader files too), so hopefully these work for you (I believe none of the included files are illegal/copyrighted, but mods, feel free to let me know if they are and I'll remove it): https://www.dropbox.com/s/71c9hqjz21u76pt/R4I.rar?dl=0

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could indeed be a problem with the microSD card. I wouldn't worry about the unit size - if you're using Windows, the default allocation should be fine.

I've uploaded the files on my card here (I've included the TWLoader files too), so hopefully these work for you (I believe none of the included files are illegal/copyrighted, but mods, feel free to let me know if they are and I'll remove it): https://www.dropbox.com/s/71c9hqjz21u76pt/R4I.rar?dl=0
The kernel worked but the games still are not loading. Do i need to update my flashcard somehow. I saw a few posts on different threads saying they needed to do that. Also, are there specific settings i need with this kernel?

Edit: Tested with SM64DS

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The kernel worked but the games still are not loading. Do i need to update my flashcard somehow. I saw a few posts on different threads saying they needed to do that. Also, are there specific settings i need with this kernel?

Edit: Tested with SM64DS
I think it should be up-to-date from the get-go because of the files that you put on it. Let me check mine. It might be the ROM you have in this case though.

You can press Start on the main kernel screen to open a menu. There's "3DS Setup" which you can go to and press B to initiate, though I doubt you need to do that (I'm not actually sure what it does, to be honest, but I don't remember ever needing to do it - still, it should complete just fine). You might also want to check all your system settings (under Settings, and scroll between panes with L and R - my default menu is iYSMenu though it shouldn't matter too much). Make sure Safe Mode is off.

Also, if you go to Tools under the Start menu, you can update there, though I'm not sure how well it works. It should download cheats lists from GBAtemp though. Make sure all the update options are selected then hit A to accept. Hopefully that works for you.

You can also press Y on a game to select its save type (sometimes that stops a game from booting in an emulator, if I remember correctly, but the R4i Gold should set this by default so I doubt it matters) and other such things such as cheats (make sure the AR option under System Settings is enabled though, else they won't work).

Last edited by TankedThomas,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it should be up-to-date from the get-go because of the files that you put on it. Let me check mine. It might be the ROM you have in this case though.

You can press Start on the main kernel screen to open a menu. There's "3DS Setup" which you can go to and press B to initiate, though I doubt you need to do that (I'm not actually sure what it does, to be honest, but I don't remember ever needing to do it - still, it should complete just fine). You might also want to check all your system settings (under Settings, and scroll between panes with L and R - my default menu is iYSMenu though it shouldn't matter too much). Make sure Safe Mode is off.

Also, if you go to Tools under the Start menu, you can update there, though I'm not sure how well it works. It should download cheats lists from GBAtemp though. Make sure all the update options are selected then hit A to accept. Hopefully that works for you.

You can also press Y on a game to select its save type (sometimes that stops a game from booting in an emulator, if I remember correctly, but the R4i Gold should set this by default so I doubt it matters) and other such things such as cheats (make sure the AR option under System Settings is enabled though, else they won't work).
I looked at all the settings and they were all the same. However I did change one thing, The save type. I booted up SM64DS and it worked! Although, I changed it to no save :/

I'll keep tinkering with that and see if I can find save type that will work.
4K doesn't work :/

EDIT: no save types work. Only not benig able to save works :/
And because there is no save, some games don't run :(

Last edited by Stephano,

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I looked at all the settings and they were all the same. However I did change one thing, The save type. I booted up SM64DS and it worked! Although, I changed it to no save :/

I'll keep tinkering with that and see if I can find save type that will work.
4K doesn't work :/

EDIT: no save types work. Only not benig able to save works :/
And because there is no save, some games don't run :(
Hmm, that's odd. Did you check the save type? I have it set to .nds.sav but that's not necessary. What you could do is use an emulator to create a (dummy) save file for each game then put that save onto the game card. I haven't had any problems with saving but that seems like something that shouldn't happen. I don't know what could be going wrong, to be honest. It sounds like it could be a write permissions problem. Perhaps try formatting the card again. I'll look into it more and see if I can find another answer.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that's odd. Did you check the save type? I have it set to .nds.sav but that's not necessary. What you could do is use an emulator to create a (dummy) save file for each game then put that save onto the game card. I haven't had any problems with saving but that seems like something that shouldn't happen. I don't know what could be going wrong, to be honest. It sounds like it could be a write permissions problem. Perhaps try formatting the card again. I'll look into it more and see if I can find another answer.
Okay, I'll try creating a dummy save and get back to you. Once again, thanks for your help. :)

D

Deleted User

Well, i found a working kernel and can "boot" DS games but i get a white screen. I would have never thought about going back to the guide to fix this. Thanks.

Well I'm getting closer to getting it working. I followed the troubleshoot on the guide and it did help, but some games still have a blank white screen and some games show the nintendo logo but don't go past that. :(
Try ysmenu, it works for me, for any ds game I tried on both 3ds and ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ¡¡¡ tttoN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ssssey ioBtneicnA@
    +1
    :angry: ¡¡¡¡¡ oooooooooooooooooooooooN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ?draeh ton uoy evaH
    Gives you "The 🖕 BIRD" :tpi::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    :2lfor::2lfor::2lfor::ipt: "DRIB 🖕ehT" uoy seviG. *
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Atmosphere and Hekate both have been updated to support FW 18. Yay!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Atmosphere and Hekate both have been updated to support FW 18. Yay!