Hacking I can install IOS in vWii! But...

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have never said 202 is for warez, all I have to say about it is that it is redundant. You are the only person I have ever heard say it works better that IOS58 with any hard drive. If that is the case for your drive, you are the exception, not the rule.
Since 202 is a patched IOS, I assumed you were including it in:
Another reason would be that there is no reason to install a patched IOS other than warez.

Anyway, the reason I believe it's related to HDD compatibility is that neither of my HDD's work very well with IOS58, and there were a lot of complaints for the same thing when WiiMC removed 202 support, I have heard others say that 58 actually runs better for them.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a firm believer of "If it aint broken then don't fix it". My Wii is still at 3.2 with HBC 1.0.1, the only thing that IOS58 has done for me is make me search for (or make my own) forwarders with HW_AHBPROT and IOS58 support, so I can run apps that require it because most of the newer apps require HBC 1.0.7 or higher.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
@damysteryman FIX94 is right, the new IgnoreKKey patch still fails on a real Wii.

How about adding the FixTicket function from WAD Manager to IOSPatcher.c? That way, the installer will be able to replace the common key index byte to "00" in the memory array right before installing the IOS236.

I have tested it and it works fine, I just wanted to point this out.

Code:
    /* Avoid -1029 error on vWii installation */
    u8 *data = (u8 *)ios->ticket;
    u8 *ckey = data + 0x1F1;
    if (*ckey != 0)
    {
        printf("Setting common key index to 0 (fixes error -1029)...\n");
        *ckey = 0;
        tik_dirty = true;
    }

@ damysteryman: I STILL get "Could not identify ES module" error followed by "IOS236 installation failed" when trying to install your latest (v7) patched IOS36 into slot 236.

You didn't even respond to one of my previous posts related to file size differences of dumped IOS36 WAD files.

Some other people also mentioned that they had the same or similar issues.

There has to be more investigation on this case IMO.

That's probably a bug in ShowMiiWads. Have you tried using BlueDump?

The installation has *worked* for me, but I didn't use any of those tools to generate the IOS36 WAD.

Instead, I just used a hex editor to lookup the shared contents in the content.map file, based of the TMD information. Then, I proceeded to manually encrypt them with OpenSSL and generate the WAD by adding the data in the correct order. I also changed the byte 0xC31 to "00", in order to avoid possible -1029 errors (that byte shouldn't be "02", in any case, since the WAD is now encrypted using the "normal" common key instead of the Wii U specific one).

My WAD is also 1.871.040 bytes in size.

CRC32: D8EFD4A0
MD5: 0F14BED8BC13B8C8DD4CC7BCB44DC93D
SHA-1: 2FFA52BD9430337DAE4269CF825C915F5BF7CBA4

Hope that helps.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm posting it here as it's the thread with the most info on vWii hacking and ported homebrew.

Currently, everyone is doing a FS Nand Dump, which, except saving the current files one by one, doesn't really do a real 1:1 NAND dump to flash the full state at a later date.
There are NAND dumpers which are doing 1:1 dumps:

• Wii NAND Dumper (Waninkoko; SDGecko only)
• WiiND (Nicksasa; SD or USB)
• Yet Another Wii NAND Dumper (Redbird)
• RealWnD (pcfree)
• BootMii (best one, but not working yet)
Maybe other tools can do 1:1 dump?

RealWnD dump can be used by hardware Flashers and is then a better security for users who are bricking their console than FSToolBox

RealWnD sources are available, and if it could be updated to support vWii + AHBPROT it would be much better backup solution than the current FS Dumper.

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, so I modded the IOS236 installer so you dont need the IOS36 wad, here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4y7vebckurr2m9c
I made it as v8, I hope dmm will update his posts with it ;)
Will this solve Ticket error -2011 when trying to install a Wad? I extracted WADs of the Netflix Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, Check Mii Out Channel, and Amazon Instant Video Channel by using my original Wii and ShowMiiNand/WADs, but when I use MMM to install them on my vWii I get Ticket Error 2011. I tried changing the common key in a Hex editior but I have no 'hexperience' so that just got me an incorrect Title ID error :)

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe you need to fakesign both the Ticket and TMD files (by replacing their signatures with zeros). You should also remove the console ID from the Ticket, and *probably* the ECDH data, too. Those can also prevent a successful installation.

Check the Wiibrew entry for more info: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ticket.

I tried changing the common key in a Hex editior but I have no 'hexperience'

I have to admit you made me laugh a bit in this part. :P

Reactions: bezem

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the assistance! I'll have to wrap my head around it a bit and do some more homework, but definitely moving forward on my little pet project :)

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about wwpacker, is that set of tools still current/safe for use? I couldn't find any information to suggest otherwise but I did hit a slight snag with using it. I took the WADs I created of the Amazon, Netflix, Everybody Votes, and Check Mii Out channels and ran them through the FakeSign bat; there was also a Justsign bat. I chose the fakesign option for title and ticket and re-packed the WADs. They then installed fine but after rebooting to the System Menu it froze. Luckily it would always freeze about 2 seconds after the Safety Message, so I clicked to enter the HBC before those 2 seconds occurred. From there I used Anytitledeleter MOD and removed the four channels I added, fixing the freeze. Now I'm afraid to try any further :)

torpet

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I installed IOS236 via v6 vWii Installer today and then found out about v8 later. I just installed v8 without uninstalling the v6-patched IOS236 first, is that still OK?

Why do I need to switch to IOS236 to install WADs from Multi-Mod-Manager? Sorry for n00bish questions, I am still very new to Wii/vWii-Modding.

I switched to YAWMM DE because it has native vWii support, but would still like to understand why IOS236 is necessary for some things? How do I uninstall an IOS from vWii?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
uninstalling an IOS is not recommended because uninstalling certain ones that the vWii part of the Wii U needs to run would break it. If you wanted to uninstall it just in order to install another version of the same thing, that's not necessary. All you need to do is install the newer version and it should REPLACE the older one. The best way to remove one is to install another one over the top of it.

As far as WHY, apps use the IOS to do certain things that they can't do themselves (like installing a WAD) some will refuse to do some things saying you don't have permission to do it ... and, in particular, the IOS on a vWii are all made to REFUSE to install a WAD for some things like the system menu and other IOS's. IOS236 is one that's been specially adjusted so it won't refuse as much and so you CAN install those things so you do need it to be selected because you're kinda selecting which IOS to ask for permission from.

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow thanks for the fast reply.:)

what apps in particular need the patched ios236? (Besides MMM)
I used IOS236 and Dop-Mii to install the News Channel, Photo Channel, and Forecast Channel. Surprisingly I was able to install the Internet Channel (using Dop-Mii) without IOS236. I also used IOS236 and MMM to install my Nintendo Channel WAD. Still trying to get Amazon, Netflix, Everybody Votes, and Check Mii Out channels installed (see above) and would love any ideas/assistance myself (wink wink ;p)

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update for anyone who may be interested in this sort of thing - figured out my freezing culprit was the Check Mii Out channel. I'm assuming it's looking for the Mii Parade, which as we know the Wii Mode Mii Channel lacks. I used wwpacker with Justsign.bat first and none of my WADs would install. After doing fakesign.bat with just ticket and tmd (like before), Everybody Votes, Netflix, Amazon installed and all work as expected (Everybody Votes requires WiiConnect24 to be tricked on first of course). I don't have Hulu but I assume that one would install just fine, too.

kavid

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I translate yawmm rev5e from Germany to English.

I have tested ,so I release it on here. rev5e for English version.(Included sourcecode.)

Attachments

• YAWMM_rev28.rar
    879.9 KB · Views: 410
Reactions: bezem

Greefus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I restored all of my vc/wiiware from Wii to vWii without issue, except two wiiware titles gave me a 1022 error in YAWMM. I got them to install via YAWMM by choosing Yes for "Do you want to load another IOS anyways?", and then then select IOS236.

I don't know if this patch helped or not since I had installed even before I got the error when I was really looking for this fix to get injects and out of region games working from the SD menu. I'm assuming it was necessary for the install if I'm interacting with it by name.

I just noticed that if I actually run either of the two wiiware titles I installed this way, and then go back to YAWMM to install via IOS236 again I get a exception (Dsi) occurred stack dump code dump frozen screen. Also if I play the title, reinstall the IOS236 patcher, then go back to install another wad this way via YAWMM, it doesn't give the frozen screen.

This had me freaked out that I might have semi-bricked something, but it actually seems OK. If power down the WiiU fully after running one of the two WiiWare titles installed this way, then restart, I can still install stuff that way via YAWMM, and doesn't require the re-patch of IOS236.

Is this just a glitch with YAWMM? Is it safe to install most standard wads this way that give the 1022 error? I was just worried about doing something I shouldn't while there is no good brick protection or nand restore for vWii yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.