Hacking [HOW-TO] Use Scene Dumps with GW 2.2 Online

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know if rune factory 4 header can be used/injected for online play? [it doesn't have any real online functionality but i have the retail cart so i was just wondering] : )

nvm, i just read about 50 pages of this thread and finally figured out how to enable mk7 online play with a hex editor...

i guess it's a bad idea to use non online game headers [easier for nintendo to spot?] anyways very useful thread : )

btw have the people who have been getting error [this game cart is not able to go online] having router issues or is it a bad rom?

i've dumped my ACNL cart and injected a header from a dumped Luigi's Mansion [retail carts] to see if i can get online to work and i'm getting that error when i try going online.

my last resort is to dl a prepatched ancl rom and see what i'm doing wrong -_-

btw nvm all this, i got it working, hex editor/rom patcher methods both worked for me. [rom patcher was probably faster].

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I might be repeating some stuff, but it's a bit difficult to go through all those pages. Would be great if first post was updated with some more info. Anyways , I just bought Pokemon X and I'm trying to dump the header to use. Let me know if I did something wrong.

1. Insert Pokemon X cart and boot into Gateway mod and chose dump cart.
2. Copied the dumped file and loaded it up Gateway Rom Patcher 0.6.
3. Loaded the rom within the Patcher and clicked Export under the header section and saved the .bin file somewhere.
4. Closed the program and reopened it. Loaded the headerless Kid Icarus and clicked import header. Saved a back up and then chose the pokemon .bin file. Said yes when it asked about fixing something.
5. Renamed the new file and changed it to .3dz and put it into the microsd.
6. Loaded up the game and got a black screen.

So...what am I missing here? Do I need to edit the header?

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Question . is there any way of knowing if a header has been inserted correctly and the online is working before starting much of a game? as in an option pre game or the rom not working at all?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Question . is there any way of knowing if a header has been inserted correctly and the online is working before starting much of a game? as in an option pre game or the rom not working at all?
well in some cases the game will just crash if its set up wrong, if its boots up just go to the online part of the game and try to connect you will get a "online services cannot be used with this card" message if its not done correctly, but you can actually edit the cart info part of the header (chip manufacturer card size etc)without it wiping your save its just the actual header data that cant be changed once the save has been made

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
well in some cases the game will just crash if its set up wrong, if its boots up just go to the online part of the game and try to connect you will get a "online services cannot be used with this card" message if its not done correctly, but you can actually edit the cart info part of the header (chip manufacturer card size etc)without it wiping your save its just the actual header data that cant be changed once the save has been made

I see , thank you.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few questions about headers. Would you recommend using a header from my own 3DS game that I'm not going to sell (Animal Crossing for ex), or a public header that I've been using for all my online games and it works perfect (Metal Gear Solid 3 (J) header ) ?

Does it matter what header you use? Or as long as the game boots up fine and plays online, it's fine to use?

Also, if one header works for a game, will it work for all other online games?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you can use your own you should but nobody has been banned and by now I doubt anybody will but you never know. If the game boots up and plays online It's fine to use, I believe you have to use card1 headers for card 1 games and vice versa for card 2. So all card 1 headers will work for all card 1 games .. etc.

Reactions: MattKimura

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few questions about headers. Would you recommend using a header from my own 3DS game that I'm not going to sell (Animal Crossing for ex), or a public header that I've been using for all my online games and it works perfect (Metal Gear Solid 3 (J) header ) ?

Does it matter what header you use? Or as long as the game boots up fine and plays online, it's fine to use?

Also, if one header works for a game, will it work for all other online games?

i can confirm i got a retail luigi's dark moon header [card1] injected into ANCL rom for online play [card2] and was able to connect and visit another town on it. also i'm not sure if mario kart 7 is card1 but my retail acnl header [card2] works on it for online play.

i think the logic in using your own retail header is that it would be harder for nintendo to track anomalies if the header is only conflicting with the game title, vs a repeat of the same header online at the same time [ie a single acnl header is showing connecting online for a different game, vs like hundreds of the same header on at the same time for different games--i e public headers]

but technically if they can screen for one thing, they can probably screen for single headers that don't match their titles? but they might just go after and block the massively shared headers than pick out all these smaller infractions cuz that would be a major pain/time/resources--and in addition people resell their games so you never know if with the public headers they are punishing a legit game owner or not. in other words, it seems like even if they did, it would be a huge pain....

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can confirm i got a retail luigi's dark moon header [card1] injected into ANCL rom for online play [card2] and was able to connect and visit another town on it. also i'm not sure if mario kart 7 is card1 but my retail acnl header [card2] works on it for online play.

i think the logic in using your own retail header is that it would be harder for nintendo to track anomalies if the header is only conflicting with the game title, vs a repeat of the same header online at the same time [ie a single acnl header is showing connecting online for a different game, vs like hundreds of the same header on at the same time for different games--i e public headers]

but technically if they can screen for one thing, they can probably screen for single headers that don't match their titles? but they might just go after and block the massively shared headers than pick out all these smaller infractions cuz that would be a major pain/time/resources--and in addition people resell their games so you never know if with the public headers they are punishing a legit game owner or not. in other words, it seems like even if they did, it would be a huge pain....

Hmm, I just dumped my copy of Zelda ALBW and the header. I then used a hex editor to create multiple headers, each with a different rom size (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB) and put them all into a card1 category to use with card1 games. But I've been wondering if I can use this card1 header on a card2 game, so your post helps on that matter.

Now I'm wondering if I should use Animal Crossing New Leaf, or Zelda A Link Between Worlds for their header. And if I should just simply use the rom patcher instead of the hex editor.

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if zelda has online play? [does it?] i don't know if it matters but acnl seems like it would have more ppl online at once cuz of trading and whatnot. i gave up on the hex editor and ended up using rom patcher : )

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So...any comment about my earlier post on #1142? Seems people have a good hang on making their own legit header. Is there a guide to this? I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step. Or two.

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...any comment about my earlier post on #1142? Seems people have a good hang on making their own legit header. Is there a guide to this? I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step. Or two.

the thing i've learned after skimming this enormous thread is that each scene dump comes from a retail card that has variable card stats [sometimes the chip manufacturer is different, different region cards etc], so playing around with the different options until it recognizes the header as its own has worked for me [i don't think there is one answer as all the scene dumps come from different cards/different regions] some settings work for some games/not other games, some headers work for some/not others... it is a bit of a pain but you only need to figure it out once : )

also some basic infos on different games here [linky]

also i can't confirm this, but earlier posts indicate metal gear solid header tends to work with most scene dumps so if you have a copy of that, try it first...

***another tip, when i rename my game, i append which header was injected from which game. helps for setting up/playing with multiples gateways systems with your family/friends, so you are all on different headers.

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the thing i've learned after skimming this enormous thread is that each scene dump comes from a retail card that has variable card stats [sometimes the chip manufacturer is different, different region cards etc], so playing around with the different options until it recognizes the header as its own has worked for me [i don't think there is one answer as all the scene dumps come from different cards/different regions] some settings work for some games/not other games, some headers work for some/not others... it is a bit of a pain but you only need to figure it out once : )

also some basic infos on different games here [linky]

also i can't confirm this, but earlier posts indicate metal gear solid header tends to work with most scene dumps so if you have a copy of that, try it first...

***another tip, when i rename my game, i append which header was injected from which game. helps for setting up/playing with multiples gateways systems with your family/friends, so you are all on different headers.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't really understand what to do still despite the explanation =p I did try the public metal gear header and that has worked in every scene release so far. No need to modify the header for any of the games. So I know how to apply headers, I just don't know how to make my own. In my last post I mentioned I bought an actual copy of pokemon x. If I use the gateway patcher to export the header, shouldn't that be legit and intact? Or do I need to make a new header for each size game? (Shouldn't need to since the metal gear one works for multiple sizes). I guess to make things easier, how would you personally rip a header out of a legit copy of a game?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent all day researching this and I finally understand exactly how it works. It's much easier than I thought!
Before, I would use a public header, Metal Gear Solid 3 (J). All the games would work fine with this header, but then I thought it would be safer and better if I use my own game headers.

So I ripped Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and it's header. I tried simply injecting this header into a game using rom patcher, but no that's not how it works. You need to edit the header, so that it matches the game you're trying to play. So what I did was make several copies of the same header, each corresponding to a specific rom size. The only thing you need to worry about in the header, is the rom size and card type.

So what I did was make a folder called card1, and a folder called Luigi's Mansion inside it. And in that, I made several folders called 4 GB, 2 GB, 1 GB, 512 GB, etc. With a header that was edited to match games of these sizes. So if the game I want to play is a 2 GB game (Smash Bros 3DS), I just have to use rom patcher to load the 2 GB header into the rom.
My Luigi's Mansion (Card1) (2 GB rom size edited header) was injected into Smash Bros (Card1) (Requires a 2 GB rom size header)
I just finished injecting all my online games this way, and I tried them all. They work flawless!

So here's some instructions you can use:

EDIT: Thanks to gamesquest1, I now realize that a card1 4 GB header, will work with all card1 games. So if you don't own any 4 GB games, then you'll have to edit your header as mentioned in the instructions below. So if you have a 4 GB game, use that for all your header needs.

1. Dump said game from Gateway menu

2. Put SD card into computer and use Gateway Rom Patcher to export the header from said game

3. Use this Hex editor to open your header

4. Use this page for reference. Basically it's the line with 00000040 that you need to edit. You only need to look at the 2nd and 4th digits (Rom size and card type)

5. Edit the 2nd digits so that it says F0 (4 GB), and make the sure last digits are 90 (Card1)

6. Go to file, save as, and save the header into a folder called 4 GB. This will be your header for all 4 GB games that have online and are card1.

7. Repeat the steps until you have all the rom sizes, to have multiple headers based on a specific rom size

8. On rom patcher, load the scene rom and choose import. It will ask where you'd like to backup your rom, choose a location

9. Once it finishes backing up the rom, it will ask for a header bin file. If your scene rom is 2 GB for ex, browse for the 2 GB header

10. You've successfully added your own header to a scene rom, you can now trim the rom if you like (Recommended if not card2)

11. Rename the file to .3DZ and you're good to go!

With these steps, you should be able to use ONE of your own game's header for all your header needs. Just don't let anyone play Luigi's Mansion online, while you're playing online on your Gateway lol
If you want a card2 header, just use a game like Animal Crossing New Leaf or Pokemon X/Y and make headers for all the rom sizes again.

After doing these steps for 10 games, I went to try them all and they all worked. Each game having different rom sizes.
I know for sure that size is the most important, because I tried injecting a default non edited Luigi's Mansion (card 1) (1 GB) header into Super Street Fighter IV (Card1) (2 GB) and it did NOT work. But as soon as I edited my luigi's Mansion header to be a 2 GB game, and injected it into Super Street Fighter IV, it worked without issues. And I even played an online match.

Bottom line: Rom size and card type are the only two things to worry about. Manufacturer does not matter. Games require headers that MATCH the rom's game size and card type. So if your header isn't working, you either don't have a matching header, or you need to try a different game. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon works for sure, as a card1 game.

Hope this helps anyone who are wondering how things work. This thread is really outdated and people ARE relying on it for help. The OP abandoned it completely and some of the info on the main thread are misleading. But for the most part, I was able to use it and slowly figure out how it works. My friend on another forum also told me that rom size is all I need. I listened to him and succeeded. Now everyone else can succeed!

Edit: I made a quick drawing to demonstrate what you should do to play a scene header online

Untitled_Image_zps3cb8ea13.jpg

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MattKimura: Thanks for the detailed guide!

Does it apply to CARD-2 games as well, except that CARD-2 saves can only be used with CARD-2 games?

For instance, could I rip the header from my legit Pokemon Y cart and use it on Pokemon X and Animal Crossing: New Leaf?

Then again, it may be a bad idea to start Pokemon X/Y via Gateway now, since saves are supposed to get reworked next release...

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MattKimura: Thanks for the detailed guide!

Does it apply to CARD-2 games as well, except that CARD-2 saves can only be used with CARD-2 games?

For instance, could I rip the header from my legit Pokemon Y cart and use it on Pokemon X and Animal Crossing: New Leaf?

Then again, it may be a bad idea to start Pokemon X/Y via Gateway now, since saves are supposed to get reworked next release...

From what Jayetyler says, she used a card2 (Animal Crossing) header on Mario Kart 7 (card1) game and it worked fine (They're both 1 GB games though, and rom size is most important)
So it might not matter what card type it is. Thankfully there's only about three card2 games, so you mainly need a card1 header for all your needs.
I would still make a seperate card2 header for your card2 needs if you want to play it safe.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you can use any header "generally" without modification as long as its the same size or bigger than the game your using it on and matches in terms of card1 or card2, (hence my MGS works on most games as its card1 like 99% of games, and its a 4GB game.....the biggest size available atm)

but some games also act a bit funny once you factor in"card manufacturer, gateway rom patcher automatically adjusting the card size and card type.....the only left over variable that needs tweaking is the card manufacturer........as long as your using gateway rom patcher, the only thing you will ever need to do is try the different card manufacturers until you get the right one

......people are over complicating this, its not hard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it