Tutorial  Updated

How to use NitroHax3DS (Including Managing Cheats File Size)

NitroHax3DS is a tool to apply cheat codes to NTR (NDS) games on the 3DS. This tutorial guides you on how to install, add cheats, and how to deal with the 2,500kb (2.5mb) cheats.xml file size limit. This tutorial does not show you the general usage of NitroHax, as the homebrew GUI generally takes care of that for you.

Requirements
  • A 3DS with Luma 6.1.2 or newer using boot9strap is the recommended setup for your 3DS and for any homebrew.
    If you are still on arm9loaderhax, pasta cfw, or anything alike, then try updating your hacks to boot9strap.
  • NitroHax3DS 0.99.NTR (Final ver?) CIA file, Do not use the DSi release downloads.
  • FBI 2.6.1 (Final) for installing NitroHax3DS CIA file.
  • Revolution 4 Cheat Code Editor (R4CCE) for managing the cheats.xml cheats and therefore the file size.
  • An Action Replay XML file (cheats.xml), e.g., DeadSkullzJr Repo (right click -> save link as), CodeJunkies EU, CodeJunkies US
NitroHax3DS Installation and Usage

Please follow the instructions on the NitroHax3DS readme for general Installation and Usage Instructions.

Lowering the cheats.xml file size

While NitroHax3DS has no actual cheats.xml file size limit, it should NOT exceed 2.5MB, nor should it really even get close to that size. NitroHax3DS loads the cheats.xml to RAM and the 3DS only has 4MB of RAM. This means you would potentially run out of ram, or leave too little amount of RAM available for the game or system to work sufficiently.

To be on the safe side I recommend lowering the cheats.xml file size to be less than 1.5MB in size. The lower it is, the better. You should only have cheat codes for games you want to use, and only have cheat codes you plan to actually use. White screens and crashes may be caused by the cheats.xml being too large (even if it's around 1.5MB).
  1. Open R4CCE, click `File` -> `Open` -> And open the cheats.xml file.
  2. Remove all cheats for games you do not have and/or want to use, the more you can remove the better.
  3. Once you have the cheats.xml lowered as much as you can, Put it on the root of your 3DS SD Card.
F.A.Q

Q: I get a white screen when booting from Nitro but not when I boot normally;
A: The game may be unsupported, or the cheat code may be incompatible with your specific ROM region.

Q: I'm encountering a problem that happens even if I disable all cheats, yet doesn't happen if I play without NitroHax3DS;
A: It might be a NitroHax3DS problem. If you feel strongly that it could be a NitroHax3DS bug, report it on the GitHub Issues page and not here.

Q: Do DSi Enhanced Games work? What about DSi Exclusive Games?
A: No! [source] Sadly DSi Enhanced Games are not supported! This is due to NitroHax using an incredibly outdated Cart loader code that is not compatible with TWL game cartridges. This means both DSi Enhanced and DSi Exclusive games are not supported. E.g., Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold (DSi Enhanced), and Face Training (DSi Exclusive).

Got a question not here? Post it below.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Viri,
Reactions: Deleted User

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Random possibly out of place question, if I follow up to step 3, will I be able to use the gateway bluecard or an acekard2 type of cards?

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Now it boots me to the power down screen
If you still need help, Its probably the cheats.xml, If its over 2.5mb it wont load;

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Huh, I tried MKDS and it kicked killed itself after sitting on the loading codes screen for a minute.
Your cheats.xml is over 2.5mb's, In DSi Code Manager remove some games;

Random possibly out of place question, if I follow up to step 3, will I be able to use the gateway bluecard or an acekard2 type of cards?
im pretty sure flashcards do work with this but I really dont see the point, Both of them have cheat engines integrated in the cards firmware so whats the point?

@ShinyMK
Advance Wars Dual Strike works fine with NitroHax
Thanks! Added it to the list;

Reactions: Gray_Jack

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you still need help, Its probably the cheats.xml, If its over 2.5mb it wont load;

im pretty sure flashcards do work with this but I really dont see the point, Both of them have cheat engines integrated in the cards firmware so whats the point?

That I have never been able to run either of then on my n3ds :(

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can confirm that Final Fantasy III does not work in Nitrohax, Nitrohax refuses to load cheats list when cart is inserted before launching, if inserted after launching, whitescreen occurs.

BGC592

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok, i've don't know what i've done wrong. I've installed Luma 6.0.1 dev, patched my twlbg.cxi (and checked it wasn't corrupted) and placed it in the sysmodules folder. But every time I start up nitrohax, or even a regular ds game for that matter, it hangs at a black screen, assumedly before twl_firm starts up because i don't even get a flash of white. I even switched my twlbg.cxi to one pre patched from that chaos site and it didn't work, so i'm assuming that's not the problem. What am i doing wrong?

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Ok, i've don't know what i've done wrong. I've installed Luma 6.0.1 dev, patched my twlbg.cxi (and checked it wasn't corrupted) and placed it in the sysmodules folder. But every time I start up nitrohax, or even a regular ds game for that matter, it hangs at a black screen, assumedly before twl_firm starts up because i don't even get a flash of white. I even switched my twlbg.cxi to one pre patched from that chaos site and it didn't work, so i'm assuming that's not the problem. What am i doing wrong?
Please answer the Troubleshoot bit at the end of OP

BGC592

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please answer the Troubleshoot bit at the end of OP

1. I didn't get any error generating my .cxi, even if i did, using a pre patched .cxi like i did would remove that as a problem
2. Yes, I was on the 6.0.1 dev hourly, also attempted it on the regular hourly after it was updated to support twlbg.cxi in sd:/luma/
3. Size of twlBg.cxi, the output of the python script, was approx 1269kb, pre-patched version i downloaded is 1291kb. Placed in /luma/, and /luma/sysmodules/ before updating luma, both didn't work
4. The latest version, the one that requires the cart to be inserted (i'd check in app, but it doesn't load due to said issue)
5. Attempted to load nitrohax with sm64ds, which didn't boot past a black screen.

Hopefully that's adequate, especially since it seems i'm the only one with this problem. Unless i'm doing something wrong.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
1. I didn't get any error generating my .cxi, even if i did, using a pre patched .cxi like i did would remove that as a problem
2. Yes, I was on the 6.0.1 dev hourly, also attempted it on the regular hourly after it was updated to support twlbg.cxi in sd:/luma/
3. Size of twlBg.cxi, the output of the python script, was approx 1269kb, pre-patched version i downloaded is 1291kb. Placed in /luma/, and /luma/sysmodules/ before updating luma, both didn't work
4. The latest version, the one that requires the cart to be inserted (i'd check in app, but it doesn't load due to said issue)
5. Attempted to load nitrohax with sm64ds, which didn't boot past a black screen.

Hopefully that's adequate, especially since it seems i'm the only one with this problem. Unless i'm doing something wrong.
Wait so Nitro itself isnt loading? Do you mean its not showing on the home menu or when you boot it doesnt load? Can you give more details?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D