Tutorial  Updated

How to use NitroHax3DS (Including Managing Cheats File Size)

NitroHax3DS is a tool to apply cheat codes to NTR (NDS) games on the 3DS. This tutorial guides you on how to install, add cheats, and how to deal with the 2,500kb (2.5mb) cheats.xml file size limit. This tutorial does not show you the general usage of NitroHax, as the homebrew GUI generally takes care of that for you.

Requirements
  • A 3DS with Luma 6.1.2 or newer using boot9strap is the recommended setup for your 3DS and for any homebrew.
    If you are still on arm9loaderhax, pasta cfw, or anything alike, then try updating your hacks to boot9strap.
  • NitroHax3DS 0.99.NTR (Final ver?) CIA file, Do not use the DSi release downloads.
  • FBI 2.6.1 (Final) for installing NitroHax3DS CIA file.
  • Revolution 4 Cheat Code Editor (R4CCE) for managing the cheats.xml cheats and therefore the file size.
  • An Action Replay XML file (cheats.xml), e.g., DeadSkullzJr Repo (right click -> save link as), CodeJunkies EU, CodeJunkies US
NitroHax3DS Installation and Usage

Please follow the instructions on the NitroHax3DS readme for general Installation and Usage Instructions.

Lowering the cheats.xml file size

While NitroHax3DS has no actual cheats.xml file size limit, it should NOT exceed 2.5MB, nor should it really even get close to that size. NitroHax3DS loads the cheats.xml to RAM and the 3DS only has 4MB of RAM. This means you would potentially run out of ram, or leave too little amount of RAM available for the game or system to work sufficiently.

To be on the safe side I recommend lowering the cheats.xml file size to be less than 1.5MB in size. The lower it is, the better. You should only have cheat codes for games you want to use, and only have cheat codes you plan to actually use. White screens and crashes may be caused by the cheats.xml being too large (even if it's around 1.5MB).
  1. Open R4CCE, click `File` -> `Open` -> And open the cheats.xml file.
  2. Remove all cheats for games you do not have and/or want to use, the more you can remove the better.
  3. Once you have the cheats.xml lowered as much as you can, Put it on the root of your 3DS SD Card.
F.A.Q

Q: I get a white screen when booting from Nitro but not when I boot normally;
A: The game may be unsupported, or the cheat code may be incompatible with your specific ROM region.

Q: I'm encountering a problem that happens even if I disable all cheats, yet doesn't happen if I play without NitroHax3DS;
A: It might be a NitroHax3DS problem. If you feel strongly that it could be a NitroHax3DS bug, report it on the GitHub Issues page and not here.

Q: Do DSi Enhanced Games work? What about DSi Exclusive Games?
A: No! [source] Sadly DSi Enhanced Games are not supported! This is due to NitroHax using an incredibly outdated Cart loader code that is not compatible with TWL game cartridges. This means both DSi Enhanced and DSi Exclusive games are not supported. E.g., Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold (DSi Enhanced), and Face Training (DSi Exclusive).

Got a question not here? Post it below.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
I'm on the latest luma3ds dev version 6.0.1-DEV
The twlBg.cxi is 1,263 kb or 1.23mb and is located in luma/sysmodules on my microsd card on my new Nintendo 3ds.
Nitrohax boots and my game cart of golden sun dark dawn is not inserted until the message to insert it appears.
I insert it and press start, the cheats show up and I check one of them and then click start game.
And my game is stuck on a white screen and does not boot.
but I know nitrohax works since it booted my copy of Mario kart ds.
Its possible that the cheat is causing it, Have you tried to boot the game with no cheats selected and also tried to normally boot up the game?
If it still does the white screen and boots up fine if you load it normally then its not a supported game :/

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its possible that the cheat is causing it, Have you tried to boot the game with no cheats selected and also tried to normally boot up the game?
If it still does the white screen and boots up fine if you load it normally then its not a supported game :/
The game boots fine from home menu.
In nitrohax trying to boot with or without cheats still lead to a white screen with the multicolored dots on the bottom screen.

Thunder Kai

#TeamRem
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cxi was 0kb ;-;

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

upload_2016-8-21_19-52-2.png
on the correct LUma version too

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
cxi was 0kb ;-;

View attachment 59664on the correct LUma version too
You need to install DevkitPro and Python - Make sure you add it to Path in installation settings - Look at the OP to see an image showing where to enable it;
You MUST restart your PC after installing Python with the Path;

The game boots fine from home menu.
In nitrohax trying to boot with or without cheats still lead to a white screen with the multicolored dots on the bottom screen.
Which game is it? Seems to be unsupported with Nitrohax unfortunately D:

Thunder Kai

#TeamRem
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to install DevkitPro and Python - Make sure you add it to Path in installation settings - Look at the OP to see an image showing where to enable it;

i already have those 2, can i edit the current one to set path?

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

golden sun dark dawn

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A LOT of people seem to have issue's using this script and/or NitroHax for very simple reasons, I'm here to stop you from wasting an hour trying to get around bugs :rofl2:

Download Centre
NitroHax (duh)
TWL_Firm_Patcher
Python2
Devkitpro
Decrypt9WIP.zip
Action Replay DSi Code Manager

You need to be using Luma 6.0.1-DEV (I recommend the Hourly DEV version)
Re-download Nitro! It is now v0.93 and you no longer need to take out the game card before booting Nitro!

Part I (Setup the Environment)

1) Install Python - Make sure you add Python to Path (Click here to see where to enable it);
2) Install DevkitPro, No special steps needed just spam Next;
3) Restart your PC - MUST! Otherwise you will get a "python" command was not found error;

Part II (Getting the un-patched TWL_FIRM.bin)
1) Open Decrypt9WIP.zip and rename `Decrypt9WIP.bin` to `x_Decrypt9.bin` and move it into `sd:/luma/payloads`;
2) Turn off your 3DS and Hold X while turning it on, You are now in Decrypt9, Go to "SysNAND Options" -> "Miscellaneous..." -> "NCCH FIRMs Dump". Wait for it to finish, Ignore the few "Failed!" messages, As long as it says Success in Green at the end you are good to go;

Part III (Patching the TWL_FIRM.bin)
1) Extract `TWL_Firm_Patcher-master.zip` to the Desktop;
2) Rename `TWL_FIRM_O/N3DS_{x}.bin` to `firmware_twl.bin` and Copy/Move `firmware_twl.bin` to `TWL_Firm_Patcher/input` finally remove the random file already in there;
3) Go back out and open `go_o3DS.bat` or `go_n3DS.bat` depending on your system;
4) It will show a bunch of text and you will see it ask you to `Press any button to continue...`, You need to do this 2 times and it will be finished and the .cxi is in the Patcher folder's root;
5) If the .cxi is roughly `1,200kb's` the .cxi was created successfully, You can now place it in `sd:/luma/sysmodules` and delete all NCCH files (AGB_FIRM, TWL_FIRM) from the SD card's root;

Part IV (Using NitroHax)
1) Install NitroHax.cia using FBI;
2) Now we need cheats, Install Action Replay DSi Code Manager, Open it and click "Reload" in the Subscriptions tab; Now right click the CodeJunkies region you wish to use -> Copy -> Paste it into "My CodeList's" Section, Right click it -> Rename -> "cheats". Now copy the "cheats.xml" file located in, Documents -> "Datel" -> "Action Replay DSi Code Manager" -> "local_codelists". Now put it in the root of your SD card.
2) Boot NitroHax with no game card inserted! You can now boot Nitro with the card inserted!
3) Once you are in Nitro it will load the Cheats, Not all game's are compatible with NitroHax, Look below to see if your game is Confirmed Supported, If it isn't listed you can test for us - Dont enable any Cheats, Click "Start" and load the Save file. If everything went well post below that "x" game is confirmed working and ill add it to the list;

Now you can enjoy using cheats!
Did this tutorial help? Hit the like button on the bottom right :D

Confirmed Supported Games
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Version

Unsupported Games
Pokemon HeartGold Version - Boots, but cant get past the save screen;
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - Doesn't Boot;

Still have errors?
Post the answers to the following:
- Are you on Luma 6.0.1-DEV?
- Size of the .cxi?
- Name of the .cxi?
- Location of the .cxi?
- Which version of NitroHax are you using? (You can find it on the Top-Sceen of Nitrohax)
Great tutorial ShinyMK, much appreciated. Should be a great help for everyone having issues with NitroHax :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: yes