How to use Devolution with backup discs:

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by Jooshi, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jooshi
    OP

Jooshi Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2014
    United States
    Devolution is a Gamecube loader for the Wii that allows both SD and USB loading with excellent compatibility along with audio streaming support. Many people are interested in using Devolution to play their favorite Gamecube games on their Wiis but have been frustrated by the program's inclusion of severe anti-piracy measures. While some claim to have cracked Devolution's code, a version without AP has not been publicly released. As compatibility improves, Nintendont promises to be a worthy AP-free alternative in the future. For now this leaves hardware, in the form of a modchip, as the best way forward with Devolution.

The following has been thoroughly tested and is known to be working. Other modchips may also work (many are known to be incompatible with the program's AP even when using retail discs). Please update this thread if you find another working modchip or firmware.

What's required:

- Wii with an early drive (DMS, D2A, D2B) that can read burned DVDs
    - Wiikey v1 modchip or DIY equivalent
    - Wiikey 1.9b firmware and matching config disc (NOT 1.99BETA)
    - Devolution r128 (or earlier)
    - Devolution r197
    - burned backup of Gamecube game

The files needed are available on the internet with a little bit of searching.

This will NOT work with:

- Wii U
    - Wiis with D2C or newer drives
    - Devolution r200, because it uses a different verification scheme

How to verify backups:

To be able to verify burned discs with Devolution, the Wiikey must first be flashed with the older 1.9b firmware and have the region override feature turned OFF using the Wiikey config disc. Once this has been done, simply insert the backup when required for verification and Devolution r128 (or earlier) will verify the backup just like a retail disc. Repeat the process with backups of the rest of your favorite Gamecube games. This method works with either the standalone version of Devolution or by using the loader.bin with a USB loader. After all backup discs have been successfully verified, replace version r128 with r197 for the best game compatibility.

Have fun playing Gamecube games with Devolution!

DEFIANT likes this.
  2. DEFIANT

DEFIANT GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2008
    United States
    Gallifrey
    testing with drivekey first version...thanks for the instructions.

3. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    Well, if you have everything required, that's fine and dandy but, if you don't have a modchip nor a Wii that can read burned discs, that's a tall order to fill.

4. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    It seems like an awful lot of work to go through to play, what in all probability, are pirated disks.

5. Jooshi
    OP

Jooshi Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2014
    United States
    The point is that there is a way to circumvent the program's AP. Until Nintendont becomes comparable or someone releases a version of Devolution which does not require disc verification, this remains the only working alternative. Admittedly, it is not a solution that will work for everyone.

6. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    I suppose so. Good job on figuring that out though. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to do it.

7. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    This also works with a yaosm 3.2 modchip which I've tried recently. but my problem is Wiimote\Ps3 controller support didn't come out until r200 which blocks this unfortunately so I have no use for it.

edit: Verifying with the yaosm is a little different though, You must first insert a original Wii\Gc disc (any will do) let devo reject it then stick in your backup to verify.
    btw All this info was shared with me, I didn't come up with anything just sharing what i've tried

8. Jooshi
    OP

Jooshi Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2014
    United States
    Actually, Devolution's vulnerability to modchips has been known since shortly after the program was released. This information was not made public while the program was still in development to avoid dealing with a new and incompatible verification scheme as new features were added. With the release of r200, and a new verification process, it now makes sense to make this information public.

9. Pepois

Pepois GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2013
    Argentina
    Would this work with Wassabi mod chip ?

Thank you

10. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2003
    Greece
    Hello,
    Can someone post a Devolution r128 and 197 if possible so we can test it?

Thanks for the guide

11. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2003
    Greece
    Hi,
    It didn't work for me... I have
    PAL WII
    WiiKey 1.9b
    config disc gcos 1.3
    region override=off
    Devolution r93

I used the scene release of Star_Fox_Adventures_USA_GC-RARE which is NTSC (Maybe Devolution doesn't allow games from other regions... Don't know about that...). As soon as I select the game from devolution, the wii goes back to the menu. Now before all of you guys jump on me and call me names , stinky pirate and what not, I'm posting a picture of the starfox game I own. I do own the PAL version. However, as you all know, I can't play it with Devolution due to the modchip thing plus (and more importantly) I can't play it with 480p as I could do with the NTSC varsion, which is why I want to do this. Thanks

http://oi61.tinypic.com/23uojg2.jpg

12. darkvam

darkvam Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2011
    United States
    I actually did this awhile back too but verifying discs, orginal or not, was still a hassle so I switched dios mios. I didn't know it only worked because I had a wiikey lol. Too this method won't work for vWii. At least this method lets me play PSO on devolution since nintendont doesn't support bba emulation.

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown
    Or, use Nintendont instead, hint, hint.

14. stephaniie

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    Can someone give a short explaination why we use Nintendont and Devolution when we have DIOSMIOS?

Isn't the compability list of GC games on DIOSMIOS pretty big?

15. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Nintendont (imo still a stupid name for a gamecube loader) does have a worse compatibility than Devolution it seems. That's why the OP created this thread to give people a better loader with circumventing original disc verification.

16. Gameboy Color

Gameboy Color Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    few questions

1. Does Devolution r128 (and before) have less anti piracy measures?
    2. If so, what's less about it?
    3. Can this work without a modchip as long as the Wii is old?

thx

17. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Avtually, Nintendont now has better compatibility than DIOS MIOS, and add to that the fact that it has audio streaming support.

jcb8854 and the_randomizer like this.