Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
It does work as long as you don't use the 0.4b (but the link was removed anyway). The only issue is that 3DNUS downloads the 9.0 and not the 9.2 update, but it's not a big deal. (and if you really want to update to 9.2,you can manually download the 2 missing cias)

It worked for me tonite.
What doesn't work is spoofing eShop with code.bin on my O3DS (I really tried a hundred times - NADA!)

Though, eShop spoofing does work with Pasta but then the updates won't work with my legit cias...
A big pita.
(disregard the underlined text - see EDIT2 below)

Edit: The updates work under Pasta, but not without it (not true, see below)

EDIT2: Dunno why I got the wrong impression before, but the updates using YgwEshopSpoofer under Pasta WILL ALSO work on the legit cia's after rebooting to normal mode :hrth:
I *think* what confused me was that originally I tried using those cia updates from *that* site, and those only worked under Pasta.
BTW, when I first tried downloading the updates, I sometimes got the ERROR CODE: 007-2918, so I would go to the next one. On returning to those that gave me the error, I saw that it displayed 0 blocks for Download and on clicking on the download button they all worked. So persistence does pay off!

Last edited by Pacman`,

Chaaru

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
It does work as long as you don't use the 0.4b (but the link was removed anyway). The only issue is that 3DNUS downloads the 9.0 and not the 9.2 update, but it's not a big deal. (and if you really want to update to 9.2,you can manually download the 2 missing cias)

It worked for me tonite.
What doesn't work is spoofing eShop with code.bin on my O3DS.
Though, eShop spoofing works with Pasta but then the updates won't work with my legit cias...
A big pita.

Edit: The updates work under Pasta, but not without it

Alright. I just wanted access to the awesome themes (I'm currently on old XL w/ 8.1), so I guess I don't care if it updates to 9.0 or 9.2.

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
sysupdater 0.3 cia works great under Pasta (I didn't have success with the ninjhax version though - it couldn't find the files).
Put your update cia's in a folder named "updates" in the root of your SD card.

BTW, for those who want to go to 9.2 on an OLD 3DS, check my md5 file for the correct crc's.
Before I started the update, I saved my 4.4.0 nand.bin with the GW utility. I updated to 9.2.0, made sure everything was ok, and saved that nand.bin version as well.
Now I can jump between 4.4 and 9.2 as I wish :ha:
Good luck to all of you.

EDIT: I just went back to 4.4.0 sysnand. I prefer the mset method to go into my emunand. Browser method sux. I hate it. Restore with GW worked great.

Attachments

• Update_to_9.2.0-20_USA_on_OLD_3DS.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by Pacman`,
Reactions: tonybologna

Lawa Ye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you use the MSET method to install PastaCFW without CubicNinja then use THIS GUIDE while in PASTACFW to update to 9.2 could you play your japanese .CIAs with region free and firmware spoof ?

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The mset pasta works only on 4.X for now, so you won't be able to use this method anymore on 9.2. But you can already play japaneses games on 4.X je s long as the games are not 7.X encrypted.

rebirthz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i own O3DS which run can run palatine 4.x firmware and it doesn't support any new game which 7.x encrypted,

i would like to update the sysnand to 9.0-9.2 in order to play a new game,

do i have to wait until my Cubic ninja reaches me before update to 9.2 via this method right?

or i just can do without Cubic ninja, I'm new with this kind of hacking and not sure at all,

hope you guys help.

PS. is it better to use the blank new SD card or it's ok to use the old SD card which has the palatine CFW and games in it.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
i own O3DS which run can run palatine 4.x firmware and it doesn't support any new game which 7.x encrypted,

i would like to update the sysnand to 9.0-9.2 in order to play a new game,

do i have to wait until my Cubic ninja reaches me before update to 9.2 via this method right?

or i just can do without Cubic ninja, I'm new with this kind of hacking and not sure at all,

hope you guys help.

PS. is it better to use the blank new SD card or it's ok to use the old SD card which has the palatine CFW and games in it.

ys, u need cubic ninja if u updated to 9.0-9.2.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope that you got semi-brick. Do the combo L+R+A+Up + [Power On] to enter recovery mode then follow pop-up instruction to do the rest. It will let you update to the latest firmware. Nothing we can do at that stage of the issue if hardware nand-mod hasn't modified yet.

Nope. Complete black screen. I have a warranty, though.

Were you on heroin? How do you not know what you did or even read what to do in the first place?

Finals, manic state, extreme stress, multitasking, lack of sleep.

Not a good combination. I remember what I did (pulled updates from n3dus, installed them) but not immediately whether I used sysupdater or bbm.

syrantking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bricked my 3DS doing this. This is after reading the entire thread to avoid mistakes. I wouldn't advise anyone use this.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just bricked my 3DS doing this. This is after reading the entire thread to avoid mistakes. I wouldn't advise anyone use this.
Can you describe what you did in detail? I didn't have any problems. Also its always important to do a nand backup. If you have you could do a hardware mod and reflash it.

syrantking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the CIAs I needed , got the sysupdater, making sure to get 0.4 and not 0.4b or even 0.4.1.
I put those in the updates folder, then used Cubic Ninja to start Pasta CFW. I installed sysupdater, launched it, and when I was letting it do it's thing, it never rebooted. I don't know where I could've went wrong.
Judging from the other replies in the thread, it seems to work when it wants...

I did back up my nand, though. Thank god for hundshamer.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the CIAs I needed , got the sysupdater, making sure to get 0.4 and not 0.4b or even 0.4.1.
I put those in the updates folder, then used Cubic Ninja to start Pasta CFW. I installed sysupdater, launched it, and when I was letting it do it's thing, it never rebooted. I don't know where I could've went wrong.
Judging from the other replies in the thread, it seems to work when it wants...

I did back up my nand, though. Thank god for hundshamer.
That is odd. I have no explanation. The only thing I did differently was used sysupdater 0.3 instead of 0.4. I definitely think the steps to making a nand backup should be added to the OP. On the plus side, the hardmod is permanent. So when you reflash you can try again with that safety net in place. As well as have several fw versions backed up.

syrantking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is odd. I have no explanation. The only thing I did differently was used sysupdater 0.3 instead of 0.4. I definitely think the steps to making a nand backup should be added to the OP. On the plus side, the hardmod is permanent. So when you reflash you can try again with that safety net in place. As well as have several fw versions backed up.
I'd be so mad if all it was was 0.3. But yeah, no harm done. Can't be mad at reason to get that hardmod.

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs