Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hey guys, I think I used SysUpdater 0.4 to update to 9.2. He must have just uploaded it and I no idea. I only read 0.3 afterwards. That could be why my 3DS is now semi-bricked. My bad.

Just don't use SysUpdater 0.4. :/
I just tested this updating to 9.2 from 4.5 using sysupdate .4 and I get an endless "Preparing to start Home Menu..." prompt. Same with you?

FirstLady

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested this updating to 9.2 from 4.5 using sysupdate .4 and I get an endless "Preparing to start Home Menu..." prompt. Same with you?

OMG! that must the problem, wth did I use that? *facepalm*

Sorry as well, this sucks... :/

Do you think someone will help us to fix this? I only have one 3DS, lol xD

FirstLady

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if one of you guys could try safe boot or something before restoring your backups. I'd really appreciate. Maybe there's an easier fix, please.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it easy. Do have the XL? I read that's easier. I could try it on my 3DS but I heard it's not easy, mine's not an XL.
Anyway thanks
Yeah, it's much easier on the XL but I have the original one too.
It's not EXTREMELY difficult but it requires a bit of experience with soldering because it's kind of a delicate process.

You can send it to someone in the US who can install the mod for you, like hundshamer.

FirstLady

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's much easier on the XL but I have the original one too.
It's not EXTREMELY difficult but it requires a bit of experience with soldering because it's kind of a delicate process.

You can send it to someone in the US who can install the mod for you, like hundshamer.

Hmm... so far. I'm in Africa, lol. Also, I have absolutely very little soldering experience. Just my luck 0.4 was uploaded an hour before trying all this. Also, I should have read properly "0.3". Oh well, np ;)

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm... so far. I'm in Africa, lol. Also, I have absolutely very little soldering experience. Just my luck 0.4 was uploaded an hour before trying all this. Also, I should have read properly "0.3". Oh well, np ;)
Well, it's as I told you. It's a bit difficult, but not impossible. You have to solder 4 wires and one of them is the complicated one. It's a very small point, and it has 2 possible alternatives: underneath the cartridge slot or on the back of the board. I picked the second option because it seemed safer.

Basically all you need is a soldering iron, thin wires, thin solder (I used 0.5mm) and flux for cleaning the board. Some people solder the wires to a microSD to SD adapter and then connect it to a card reader, others (like me) solder the wires directly to a microSD reader and link that to a PC via a USB connection.

Reactions: FirstLady

FirstLady

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's as I told you. It's a bit difficult, but not impossible. You have to solder 4 wires and one of them is the complicated one. It's a very small point, and it has 2 possible alternatives: underneath the cartridge slot or on the back of the board. I picked the second option because it seemed safer.

Basically all you need is a soldering iron, thin wires, thin solder (I used 0.5mm) and flux for cleaning the board. Some people solder the wires to a microSD to SD adapter and then connect it to a card reader, others (like me) solder the wires directly to a microSD reader and link that to a PC via a USB connection.

Do you connect the 4 wires to a usb cable? Thanks

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So the 0.4b version is not safe? Added to the OP. Sorry for everyone who bricked their console. :(

Did you try the recovery mode? Maybe you should be at least be able to update it to 9.7.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can confirm, 2DS 6.0.0-12U to 9.2.0-20U via 3DNUS with SysUpdater 0.4 results in a semi-brick. Worst part is that the 2DS is tricky to actually get working with the hard mod, ha ha

Aurelio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can confirm, 2DS 6.0.0-12U to 9.2.0-20U via 3DNUS with SysUpdater 0.4 results in a semi-brick. Worst part is that the 2DS is tricky to actually get working with the hard mod, ha ha

No, it is not that tricky. Before it didn't work because the pinout on 3dbrew were wrong (now they should be fine)

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, it is not that tricky. Before it didn't work because the pinout on 3dbrew were wrong (now they should be fine)
I went through 9 laptops, 4 USB readers, and 5 desktops before I finally stumbled upon my old Alienware M15x R2, which picked it up as an eMMC controller and worked perfectly. My other USB readers worked for my 3DS and 3DS XL, so it was a real pain in the ass. It's finding a good reader that's hard, not soldering it up. Well, at least for me, ha ha

Edit: Tried the update again with the same exact files, but SysUpdater 0.3 instead, and all green. Running 9.2 like a champ now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE