How to UNBRICK your N3dsXL with NO SysNAND Backup File With B9S (Sighax) and Hardmod

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by joker_77, May 26, 2017.

1. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    There's probably no PoC for it yet, it was only discovered just recently by people outside of the #3dsdev circle (i.e. people that aren't Derrek/smea/yellows8).

joker_77 and Quantumcat like this.

2. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Well somebody owns a cat (or dog).

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Lol yes everything I own is covered in cat hair. I'm so used to it now I don't even notice.

sniper_x002 likes this.
  4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Or someone is a cat hence the name ^_^

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. eworm

eworm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Poland
    Now this is something I'm gonna keep my eye out for. I'm not gonna even attempt to hardmod, since soldering is a big unknown to me, but seeing as I do own a bricked N3DSXL, I am more than excited to see a glimpse of hope with the DScard-magnet trickery.

And no, it doesn't seem like I can use the magnet to play DS cartridges. This is only for specially prepared boot-cartridges, it seems.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. joker_77
    OP

joker_77 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    Mexico
    I could say yes. anyway your console couldn´t be worst than a brick but anyway it would be better to take your sysnand to a safe place on your PC to be used as a checkpoint in the future just in case this tutorial can´t help you... keep in mind: if you don´t know how to use an iron soldering, it would be better to keep it bricked ...

7. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The soldering isn't the issue. I'm just wondering if this method will fix the corrupted secret sector or whatever that causes the brick. I'd venture to guess not. If I recall correctly it's a per console specific item that would only be recoverable if we could recreate that data or have a backup of the original before the corruption occurred. Was just wondering if anyone had some deeper insight on this than I. As I know a few people who have this brick but no backup to fix it with...

8. Shawnj

Shawnj Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Either that, waiting for NTRCardhax, or sending in your 3DS to be hardmodded
    In this case, NTR cart -= DS game. You need an NTR cart specifically designed to be loaded from the 3DS bootrom, not just any ol' DS game/DS flashcard.

9. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    Not quite, the bootrom is coded to load any NTR cart if you hold a combination with the lid closed. However, the lid can be tricked into thinking it's closed using magnets. Therefore allowing for a fake cartridge the ability to restore the NAND...
    P.S. I love your avatar, are you a fan of Dave as well?

10. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    What exactly is the definition of "any NTR cart"? Did not work with DSTwo on either an a9lh N3DS or a stock N3DS.

11. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    That's what I recall at least, what happens with the DSTwo out of curiosity?

12. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It just boots into sleep mode, and the home menu comes up when the magnet is removed (stock system) and boots into Luma config or HG9 (a9lh system).

13. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    It sounds exactly like what happens during core gameplay XD, It sounds like it needs a special NTR cart... @SciresM's presentation made it seem like it could use just any ol' DS cart...

Quantumcat likes this.
  14. Shawnj

Shawnj Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Los Angeles
    The BootROM loading an NTR card is very different from just loading an NTR card normally, though- otherwise, we would be able to run NTRcardhax on an Acekard 2i/DSTWO simply running the card through the home menu. Think about it this way- I can create a .cia file for a 3DS, but that doesn't mean that something like Decrypt9 would be able to install it because not enough of the system has loaded at that point for a CIA install to take place, nor for the system to be able to do anything with the CIA at that point (if it is bigger than the health and safety app). That's a metaphor I'll use to describe this, at least.

Also, thank you very much! I am.

15. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    I understand, @Quantumcat pointed out my misinformation.

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    This should be included on 3ds.guide if it works 99% of the time ;)

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Should work just the same, there shouldn't really be any reason for firm payloads to use the key sector, So you should be able to inject sighax, boot decrypt9 and then fix the secret sector anyway

I guess the gateway bricks just cause firm0 and firm1 to be over wrote with the original 11.3/11.4 firm so just use either of them as the "current" firm

18. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    Wait, that's a thing?

19. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    If you have a magnet on your 3DS (really, I am not kidding) and you hold Start+Select+X on boot, it tries to boot from a DS cart. All we need is a cart with B9S installer and we are good to go.

Stephano likes this.
  20. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    are we able to perform this now? How would I do it and what are the dangers of it. I'm not bricked, I'm just curious