Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

itpun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He just copied an existing method. You can use dd to make and restore the image, then any partitioning program (e.g. Disk Utility) should be able to resize the data partition.

Thanks! What comand would you use to back up and restore using dd?

Zaazu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
He just copied an existing method. You can use dd to make and restore the image, then any partitioning program (e.g. Disk Utility) should be able to resize the data partition.

Wow be more rude? :D
It took me like 4 hours of trial and error to get this to work, emuNAND is very picky

Thanks! What comand would you use to back up and restore using dd?

Don't own a mac so not 100% sure this'll work, but it seems like its what you're looking for
http://www.sundh.com/blog/2013/09/clone-sd-card-for-raspberry-pimac/

itpun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow be more rude? :D
It took me like 4 hours of trial and error to get this to work, emuNAND is very picky

Don't own a mac so not 100% sure this'll work, but it seems like its what you're looking for
http://www.sundh.com/blog/2013/09/clone-sd-card-for-raspberry-pimac/

Hey so i followed the above steps to restore it on my sd card but it seems to now have "reformatted" my card into FAT16 only holding max compacity of 2Gbs. Also, when I go to disk utilty, i cant seem to drag any partition across to make it bigger. Any ideas?

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just my imagination or did the emunand partition used to be FAT32? How does a FAT16 partition even exceed 4GB?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it just my imagination or did the emunand partition used to be FAT32? How does a FAT16 partition even exceed 4GB?
Emunand is not on the fat16 partition but on the 1GB/2GB undefined partition in front of that. The FAT partition is the one that holds the "regular" data.

Note that you can not use this tutorial to move one emunand to another device, I tried migrating my old 3DS emunand to my N3DS but this obviously wont work since the N3DS Nana/emunand is 2GB in size instead of the old 3DS 1GB.

Also, presumably the emunand is device specific anyways.

xerosagas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emunand is not on the fat16 partition but on the 1GB/2GB undefined partition in front of that. The FAT partition is the one that holds the "regular" data.

Note that you can not use this tutorial to move one emunand to another device, I tried migrating my old 3DS emunand to my N3DS but this obviously wont work since the N3DS Nana/emunand is 2GB in size instead of the old 3DS 1GB.

Also, presumably the emunand is device specific anyways.

It is, just like the sysnand.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea as expected, it although my n3ds nand is only 1.2 gigs (raw size 288mb) but i have a feeling that even if you were to transfer it how would it work seeing that the n3ds has new features that the O3ds didnt

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the nand is locked to the device. The reason why your n3ds NAND is only 1.2Gb is because there are actually 2 different NAND chips from 2 different manufacturers in the N3DS model. Some come with a 1.2Gb chip, others with a 2Gb chip. However, both can only actually access 1.2Gb.

GW Emunand mode does - however - make a 1:1 copy of the actuall chips content, so in the 2Gb emunand you will always find ~800Mb of zeros.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my old 3DS XL with 4.2 sysnand and 9.5 GW emunand. I want to get all of my e-shop titles, software, etc from my old 3DS XL to my 2015 new3DS XL. How do I do this?
I used Cubic Ninja to run Gateway. So I can play game backups just fine. But from what I can tell, I'd have to do a system transfer of my old3ds to my new3ds, which would require me updating the firmware, which the Gateway does not yet support the latest one of on emunand, correct? Basically I am out of luck for now I assume?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: