Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

dm00z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i just restored the Backup of my source SD onto my new SD Card and it seems like i am able to boot into emuNAND just fine. (Its worth to mention that i do not own a flashcard, i merely split my sysNAND and my emuNAND, which i access through an application called CakesFW. Can i mark my upgrade to a bigger SD card as a success? Please correct me if there is still something wrong
If you haven't resized your partition with a partition manager then your SD card's size should be the same as before - same size as your old SD. You can resize it with Paragon Partition Manager, or a partition manager of your like.

gives me an error and then resets the app when resizing the partion help plz
You can use @K0nr4d 's method, or use a different partition manager. EaseUS doesn't seem to be working anymore.

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a New 3DS with sysnand 9.2 and ReiNAND 10.7 CFW emunand. Everything was working on my 32gb microsd, then I got a 128gb microsd, formatted it to fat32, and copied everything from the 32gb to the 128gb and the 3DS reads the card fine but when I boot up holding L (homemenuhax to hbl) then select ReiNAND in HBL the system crashes after displaying the ReiNAND logo. How can I properly have my emunand set up on the new sd card in my scenario??

EDIT: Created an image of old microsd and restored it to new micro sd and it is working. Still need to adjust partition size and what not but I assume it will work. Got confused because someone a few posts up said this is for hardmods only but I have a softmodded 3DS.

Last edited by HaloBenish,

LeFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Er, I don't know why, but on EaseUS, the partition with my emuNAND on it is unformatted instead of unallocated, and it's primary instead of logical...
So when I end up expanding the partition with the files, the partition with the emuNAND ends up being the partition being read/written to instead of the one with the files...

Can somebody help me with this? I can't seem to convert unformatted partitions to logical, either.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm good now. It seems this only happens when using newest version of emunand. Works perfectly fine if you use older version of emunand, though.

Last edited by LeFish,

DJAlucard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Er, I don't know why, but on EaseUS, the partition with my emuNAND on it is unformatted instead of unallocated, and it's primary instead of logical...
So when I end up expanding the partition with the files, the partition with the emuNAND ends up being the partition being read/written to instead of the one with the files...

Can somebody help me with this? I can't seem to convert unformatted partitions to logical, either.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm good now. It seems this only happens when using newest version of emunand. Works perfectly fine if you use older version of emunand, though.
In the same boat, end up with a unreadable unformatted 32GB MicroSD, seems ill have to keep attempting this as it keeps setting the partition with emunand on it as the primary and the rest of the SD card behind it and not readable.

Edit: Got it working via Paragon Partition Manager, thanks for the guide!

Last edited by DJAlucard,

RaijinEXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card is unreadable after increasing the size of the unallocated partition. Everything else worked fine, and Paragon doesn't recognize anything when I try that method. Any ideas??

generalkhaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card is unreadable after increasing the size of the unallocated partition. Everything else worked fine, and Paragon doesn't recognize anything when I try that method. Any ideas??

I had the same problem when I used easeus, paragon worked fine however. although don't use the resize wizard, you need to use the full program in the same method as with easeus.

Edit -

FYI I went from a Kingston 8gb SDHC to a Kingston 64gb SDXC. It does appear to be minutely slower than before but if I had to estimate the decrease in performance I would say it's around 5% or less.

Edit 2

I guess I barely read your post... You were increasing the size of the emuNAND partition rather than the storage partition? Why?

Last edited by generalkhaos,

RaijinEXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem when I used easeus, paragon worked fine however. although don't use the resize wizard, you need to use the full program in the same method as with easeus.

Edit -

FYI I went from a Kingston 8gb SDHC to a Kingston 64gb SDXC. It does appear to be minutely slower than before but if I had to estimate the decrease in performance I would say it's around 5% or less.

Edit 2

I guess I barely read your post... You were increasing the size of the emuNAND partition rather than the storage partition? Why?

Nah I was expanding the storage partition. Not the emunand partition. I just reinstalled everything on my new SD because paragon, easeus, mini tool, and Aomei all gave me errors.

I will do what you said in the future though, maybe paragon didn't work because I only had the resize wizard?

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long should easeus take? I upgraded my sd from 65 to 200 gigs. Its been 5 minutes and it says
entire process: 37%
resizing/moving partition:37%
moving data:4%

It has been like this for 5 minutes, Not moving.

samsbrotherinlaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after completing all of the actions and running through the programs leaves me with the new sd in an "unformatted" state which kinda removes the whole point of doing this, reformatting deletes everything. Whats going wrong?

samsbrotherinlaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind I see that easeus is "faulty" and using paragon it leaves the SD in formatted state, but stays the same size as the old sd. I move the emunand partition to the right and everything applies and the unallocated partition still has all of its space, but reading off the computer or 3ds I have the same remaining space as the old sd...

dm00z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nevermind I see that easeus is "faulty" and using paragon it leaves the SD in formatted state, but stays the same size as the old sd. I move the emunand partition to the right and everything applies and the unallocated partition still has all of its space, but reading off the computer or 3ds I have the same remaining space as the old sd...

You can follow this, don't resize the emunand partition.
Sorry for not being clear, you must click the Partition Manager Free button on the left, not the Resize Partitions in the middle.
View attachment 43084
There should be a disk which sort of look like this:
View attachment 43086
Right click on the middle partition, select Move/resize Partition, then resize the partition to the max by dragging the partition to the right (alternatively you can click on the big down arrow button on the Volume size line, then drag it all the way to the right).
Click Yes, then click Apply near top left. It should take around 2 or 3 minutes for the operation to be completed.

doggomando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the tutorial! Moved my emuNAND to a 32gb card.
Edit: i managed to move my emunand but i'm still having issues with easeUS

Last edited by doggomando,

doggomando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a lil issue with easeUS, when i try to click apply after i resized, i get an error message that i need to fix some issues and it dosen't tell me what the issue is, is there a fix for that?
I'm using a sandisk ultra sdhc 32gb class 10 with an adapter that can switch from read to write with a switch
nvm fixed it

Last edited by doggomando,

junior598

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Ok, stuck on something. I did the whole thing, but my "SD has to be formatted" in order to use it with Windows Explorer. What do I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: