Hardware How to speed up charging the switch with a powerbank.

Pahnda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found out a method to charge the switch faster with a powerbank.
With this method i was able to play breath of the wild and still charge my switch while playing.
The powerbank i used is this one: http://smartpowerbank.blogspot.de/2013/07/anker-astro-e4-13000mah-external.html
Max output is 5V/2A so nothing special and no quickcharge technologie or something similar. I used a standard USB to USB-C cabel.
How i managed to charge the switch faster:

1. Start a game (no powerbank connected)
2. Take the Switch into standby mode
3. Connect your powerbank to the Switch while it is in standby mode
4. Go out of standby mode and resume your game.
5. Your switch should load much faster now.

It seems like the Switch goes into a diffrent charging mode while in stanby and will keep this charging mode as long as the powerbank is connected. I was thinking about buying a new powerbank, but with this method, i don't need one anymore =).

hope i could help u ;).

Last edited by Pahnda,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I found out a method to charge the switch faster with a powerbank.
With this method i was able to play breath of the wild and still charge my switch while playing.
The powerbank i used is this one: http://smartpowerbank.blogspot.de/2013/07/anker-astro-e4-13000mah-external.html
Max output is 5V/2A so nothing special and no quickcharge technologie or something similar. I used a standard USB to USB-C cabel.
How i managed to charge the switch faster:

1. Start a game (no powerbank connected)
2. Take the Switch into standby mode
3. Connect your powerbank to the Switch while it is in standby mode
4. Go out of standby mode and resume your game.
5. Your switch should load much faster now.

It seems like the Switch goes into a diffrent charging mode while in stanby and will keep this charging mode as long as the powerbank is connected. I was thinking about buying a new powerbank, but with this method, i don't need one anymore =).

hope i could help u ;).
That's interesting. I wonder how that works, as according to reports the Switch will draw 2A at any voltage (5V,9V,15V), which is exactly what your powerbank provides. Putting it into sleep mode can't magically increase that beyond 2A if the powerbank won't provide any more. :unsure:

FancyTorben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's interesting. I wonder how that works, as according to reports the Switch will draw 2A at any voltage (5V,9V,15V), which is exactly what your powerbank provides. Putting it into sleep mode can't magically increase that beyond 2A if the powerbank won't provide any more. :unsure:

Yeah I wonder how that works, too. As you said this method can't make the powerbank provide more than the 2A... maybe without using the method the switch draws less than that idk... an explanation would be really interesting.

But in the end it works for me... yeah it charges like really really slowly while playing (1 - 2 % per hour) but i think it's better than a drain of 5%/h or even running out of battery when plugged in on the go.
So I'm just glad that I didn't have to purchase a better powerbank with 15V usb c to usb c etc. just to be able to play longer when im travelling.

Last edited by FancyTorben,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2