How to SoftMod a Wii and play backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by stephaniie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. spacelaser

spacelaser Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    u are the best!

2. VoidRuler

VoidRuler Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2016
    Long story how it happened, but everything on my SD card got erased before I was able to follow through with Step 3. However, I do still have the NAND backup on my PC.
    When I turn on my Wii without the SD card, it still works and has the Homebrew Channel.

What should I do now? Should I start over and do Steps 1 & 2 again on my SD card? I already have the Homebrew Channel on my Wii.
    Do I need to just restore the NAND using the NAND backup I have? Everything on my SD card that I had from Step 1 and 2 got erased by someone.
    I haven't gotten to actually do anything past Step 1 & 2, I was about to do Step 3 but I don't want to risk messing everything up now that I don't have anything on my SD card anymore.

I know this probably sounds really stupid, but I'm not tech-savvy and I wasn't even the one who deleted everything on my SD card.

3. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Now to see if I have any non-SDHC cards lying around...

4. Breadland

Breadland Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
    Mississauga
    You can use up to 8 GB SDHC. I currently have a 4 GB one and it works just fine with my Wii.

5. Graves

Graves Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2016
    United States
    I feel like something is missing. Step 1 details how to install HBC then in step 2 the directions to backup your NAND include using bootmii but there was no mention of installing bootmii between the 2 steps. Am I missing something?

6. stephaniie
    OP

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    bootmii included in hbc? =)

7. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Hi, just bought a vanilla wii. Do i need internet to be able to hack it? I use my mobile as a hotspot for lurking on gbatemp and those stuff... If it's anything internet heavy i won't be able to do much to it :(

I'm trying to follow this guide, as text guides are somewhat easier for me to follow, then compliment with yours

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/before-you-begin

Is it too old?

Last edited by Alex658, Nov 11, 2016
  8. amvmasterofdark

amvmasterofdark Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    so i installed cios 236 and d2x cios 249 base 56 ad cios 250 base 57, but when i try and run games with usbloader it will have the game tell me to check my disk. is this becase my wii has no diskdrive? see i removed the diskdrive so i can do other mods to it and it didnt work any way.

9. DelightedAsian

DelightedAsian Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Wow you really went into the tutorial on this thread great work Stephaniie :)

Im having alot of trouble with my iso not working in usb loader gx and i hear sound but no video is showing up I tried Video mode being Ntsc but didnt work.

Could anyone find out what my issue is with my wii?

10. thecubicgamer

thecubicgamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2016
    Canada
    First if all, thank you for the guide it has been very helpful. I'm current stuck at step 5 where I'm supposed to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad . My problem is that I can't find that in my wads folder. So how do I get this .wad? Or how was I supposed to have it in the first place? - Thx in advance

11. stephaniie
    OP

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    Did you solve it? :)
    It is as described "open the youtube video- link is in information there .
    I don't post link because it is against GBAtemps rules but I can confirm it is there.. and it does/did work for me. If it is the same file.. Which im 100% it is.

Ask in the forum.. Lots of helpful people here. I done this thing on two Wiis without any problems.
    Try this first? "Fix Blackscreen in Wii Games with USB Loader GX" it is on the main page of this thread.

Maybe this can help? https://disqus.com/home/discussion/voato/resolve_problems_loading_wii_games_using_usb_loader_gx/
    or this
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-does-not-recognize-disk-2-game.391832/
    or maybe Cyan. He really knows this stuff and is the most helpful person there is. , really likable :-)

12. Knulen

Knulen Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Belgium
    I found my old Wii again which is softmodded on firmware version 4.1E
    Should I upgrade to the latest? If so, what's the best way to do this with an already softmodded Wii on 4.1E?

13. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    I'd use ModMii: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

I've used this on over a dozen Wii's myself. Just install ModMii over the top of what you did before and it'll update what's needed.

14. Knulen

Knulen Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Belgium
    There is a lot of crap on my Wii. Is it maybe better to do some kind of factory reset and start clean? Only copying my savegames back afterwards?
    If so, how?

15. Rickhard

Rickhard Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Hi there, is this guide still legit?
    I have tried a lot of homebrews and loaders and the furthest I have come is that I can launch a game and then it freezes (before the game launches, just a black screen).
    I've tried a lot of guides, most of them by Cyan but I have not got it working yet.

So if this guide still works smothly I was thinking about a factory reset on my system, updating it to 4.3 and give it another go.

16. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    Where can i start this when i ahve already got usbloader GX on my wii already?

17. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    Okay I want to start by backing up my wii NAND. But when i go into the homebrew channel on my wii, i don't have the launch bootmii option in the settings?

18. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Just use Modmii and follow the prompts.

19. stephaniie
    OP

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    Should still be legit. Worked for 2 Wii i bought acouple years back.

20. dj505

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    Ok so I attempted to run the IOS Installer app from the Homebrew channel, not realizing it doesn't work with the controllers that have Wii Motion Plus built-in. So I rebooted the Wii and now it doesn't recognize the cursor when I point it at the sensor bar. I can press buttons and stuff jujst fine tho. Did I break something?

EDIT: It works fine now, but I still can't run the installer since I have no GC controller or an original Wii remote. Is there an alternate version that accepts different button inputs?

EDIT 2: Got up to the WAD installer step. My "GC controller" (Wii dance pad) is no longer recognized, my Wiimote doesn't work since it has motion+ built in, and my NES30 in Wii mode gets disconnected. :/

Last edited by dj505, May 7, 2017