How to SoftMod a Wii and play backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by stephaniie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. stephaniie
    OP

Member stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Cyan, :)

I think I mentioned renaming a folder cause it didn't work before with that name.

I admit the mixing of videos but the whole big soft mod part is due to highteckmans videos that seems like the nicest guy ever, n his instructions are easy to follow.

The GameCube part is just to get your hand on d2x, And newest USB loader where dmlizard seems like a good source :)

Last edited by stephaniie, Dec 30, 2015

2. Tony_93

Member Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Well, I guess all I'm missing is d2x then.

I didn't want to go through that video since I read that DIOS MIOS was old, people had issues with it, is not needed anymore since Nintendont works amazing just by copying the files without patching anything and didn't now what parts I needed from it to play newer Wii games.

I'll just get the newest USB loader from the official release thread and read about 2dx later.

Thanks guys :)

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    @stephaniie

That's nice to help users and still be here when they need you.
    I'm glad there are still users to help others :)

I'm just not liking video tutorial (in general, not these ones in particular).
    I feel like it's easier to follow a well written text, than a loooong video that the user skip to go faster and miss important parts.
    Often, the video tutorial are not giving choices and tell others to do like the helper did for himself, not taking in account that other users can have other setup (like, korean wii, etc.)

And about the folder renaming, I didn't understood why you wanted to change them.
    you said it didn't work with the default name? it's not normal. the default should be good.
    but well, at the end the importance is that it works. (it's just not the common locations we are used to)

4. stephaniie
    OP

Sweden
    Do I still tell them to change folder name?
    I cant find that.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    There are few issues, or spelling mistakes.
    for example, "NNM : No More Memory", it's NMM (M for More)

install Custom ISO --> it's custom IOS (Input Output System). ISO is a norm for disc file system (ISO9660)

About the different path : it's in the emuNAND section.
    You tell users to create a NAND path (GXnand), and edit the default path to it.
    why edit it? sd:/nand/ is not good enough? it's just adding unnecessary steps.

To use emuNAND it's only "dump emuNAND" and that's all. it will automatically create the sd:/nand/ folder, users don't have to create it.
    Like I said, it's not an issue, it works, it's just not the default settings.

What's an issue though, is telling users to install d2x v9 beta instead of d2x v10 r52
    the issue with EmuNAND is if users have r53, not r52

so if emuNAND is not working, the user need to :
    replace v10-alt with v10 (replace r53 with r52)
    OR
    use d2x v8 (not v9 beta, which is the same as r53 and is not emuNAND compatible!)

when v9 was developed, it added new USB Port (port0 and port1) but it introduced emuNAND issues. So it has been split in to version : v10 and v10-alt
    v09 is v8 + EmuNAND issue + USB port1
    v10 is v8 (EmuNAND working and no USB port1 support)
    v10-alt is v9 beta (v8 + Port1 + emuNAND issue)

users should choose if they prefer emuNAND (r52) or Port1 access (r53), not both.
    it's better to suggest users to use d2x v8 (which is the same as r52, just one less fix that's not really important)

Of course d2x v8 is not working on vWii, so suggesting v10 r52 is better if you don't specify the console type.
    Wii : v8
    vWii : v10 r52
    no specific : v10 r52 (to prevent users installing v9 on vWii)

v10 and v10-alt was released to prevent users thinking that "last is better" and that they needed to update to v9, but they would lose emuNAND.
    so it has been decided to split v9 in two version : emuNAND OR port1, users should choose.
    but everybody started to write tutorial telling users to install "r53" because it was the latest, r52 would be old and deprecated! why ever use it if r53 exits?
    (that's what I don't like in video tutorial)
    yeah, that's the issue with users writing tutorial, they don't know what they are talking about and tell users to install version which "worked for them" but will not necessarily work for others.
    explaining differences is better than telling "do this because it worked for me".

if v9beta worked for you, it doesn't mean that it will work for other users.
    v9 has Port1 support, and issue with emuNAND.

Another issue (if we can call it an issue, because like I said : it works fine), it DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite are getting old, and you don't provide options to play gamecube games.
    Devolution and nintendont have a lot better compatibility, and they both work with vWii.
    Users don't need to bother with wad install and replacing MIOS and BC.

An uncessesary step, is playing online by patching ISOs.
    Mario kart needs a manual patching if you want to edit the match making, and replace display text on the TV, but it's not really required.
    to play online with USBLoaderGX you only need to change the setting "private server" to "wiimmfi", users don't need to bother with converting the wbfs to ISO, using computer tools, patching the ISO, converting it back to wbfs, etc.
    just set a setting in the loader is easier for "noob" and kids ;)

you suggest users to update to 4.3 because "it's fine".
    4.3 is harder to hack (need the MAC, etc.), while 4.1 and 4.2 had easier method (banner bomb)

So, it's only small issues, except for suggesting d2x v9.
    you should replace it with d2x v8 final base 56.

6. leonpeepee

Newcomer leonpeepee Newbie

Canada
    I can't get DMToolbox.exe working, any time I try to launch it I get an error saying "LIBEAY32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

ideas/help? =/

7. odyssy

Newcomer odyssy Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm stuck on "3. Install Priiloader (regionfree games and stop updates)"
    The link doesn't have the file described.. it goes to https://github.com/dacotaco/priiloader. And the only thing I see is "download zip" which downloads a file called "priiloader-master.zip". When I unzip this on the SD card and go to the homebrew channel.. nothing comes up. What am I doing wrong?

8. Natural

Member Natural GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My SD card has 234530 blocks open and my Wii has 392 blocks open. I moved everything I could over to my SD card. But I still don't have at least 700 blocks open. Does this mean that I can't backup my Wii NAND?

9. GreyWolf

Member GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The Wii only has 512MB of NAND memory so almost any size SD card would work.

Natural likes this.
  10. stephaniie
    OP

Sweden
    http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/L/libeay32.dll/-/download.html
    Move libeay32.dll into the DiosMios folder.

Make sure your Antivirus is set ON before downloading. To ensure security and not getting any viruses.

11. DarkRioru

Member DarkRioru YamiRioru

United States
    my wii on 4.3 is stalling at the boot screen on wiiflow and I don't know whats causing it... help me please...

Last edited by DarkRioru, Feb 23, 2016 - Reason: I forgot to place what loader lol
  12. Exiled

Newcomer Exiled Newbie

Canada
    When I download the priiloader and put it in my sd card, it doesn't show up in the homebrew channel, did i do something wrong? I unzipped the "priiloader-master" file and put it in the sd card. Plus I just got done doing steps 1 and 2, do I have to format my sd card or something?

13. GreyWolf

Member GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It has to go in a folder called "apps"

sd:/apps/priiloader/boot.dol
    sd:/apps/priiloader/meta.xml
    sd:/apps/priiloader/icon.png

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Look for "Wiiflow start configurator" and use it to force cIOS to one you have installed (preferable d2x IOS249[56])

14. Exiled

Newcomer Exiled Newbie

Canada
    Oh sorry I got everything figured out last night. I am now playing GC games off of a usb on my wii! :D

GreyWolf likes this.
  15. moviebrat

Newcomer moviebrat Newbie

Canada
    So I have an early modded wii. I have not touched it in years and would like to update the software. What is the most updated version of this guide. I would h8 to use an older version and mess it up for my kids. Seems I cant update it through homebrew app.

16. MontyQ

Member MontyQ GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    just use modmii is does all the work and is very simple to understand

17. VoidRuler

Newcomer VoidRuler Newbie

United States
    I did Part 1 and Part 2 with no problems at all.

So when I got to Part 3 (Priiloader), that's where I encountered a problem.
    I downloaded both of the files in both step 1 and 2 of Part 3.
    I copied all the files in priiloader-master to my SD card, but there's no "apps" folder for me to put the hacks_hacks.inl file in. Do I just make another folder called "apps" then "Priiloader" inside it and put the file there?
    Also, the "By having Priiloader you prevent disc updates that can damage Homebrew" made me a little bit scared. Is it necessary to have Priiloader to continue with the other parts?

I'm not very tech-savvy and the only other thing I've softmodded was my PSP which was fairly simple. So I'd appreciate some help.

18. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Yeah just create the apps folder yourself.
    Also don't worry about about that disc updates warning message - HIGHLY unlikely you'll come across such problems yourself, and while it's not necessary to have Priiloader, it is highly recommended: useful for either any (highly likely) problems you may have and good for other things you may use in the future ;)

Last edited by mightymuffy, Mar 28, 2016
    VoidRuler likes this.
  19. yellowsnow4free

Newcomer yellowsnow4free Newbie

United States
    Hi!

I found this guide a while back and it seems like the most complete one out there, and I was able to softmod my Wii with it!

I've done steps 1 through 4 without any problems, but I'm not sure where to go with step 5. I installed/updated USB Loader GX, but I haven't installed IOS249 (as far as I know). I've heard that if I want to play GameCube games (which I do) I should use Nintendont instead of DIOS MIOS. Looking at the Nintendont setup (https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/#Setup) it says it requires IOS58.

Does anyone have any specific info on this / know how I should go about installing Nintendont given the current IOS I'm on?

Also, idk if it'll do anything, but step 5 says to update to IOS249 in order to play newer Wii games; can I still do this? I'd like to have my system setup for maximum compatibility.

Thanks!

Last edited by yellowsnow4free, May 6, 2016
  20. DaftMink

Member DaftMink GBAtemp Regular

United States