How to SoftMod a Wii and play backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by stephaniie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hyrulebr

hyrulebr Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2015
    Brazil
    Hi,

I tried to use Modmii and update all console. Download each wad showed in Ace video and installed with wiimod all wads. First I use IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad without sucess. I can see and play all wii games. But I can see gamecube games, but got black after loading (Dios mios logo not loaded). I tried ttwo different version of USB loader and cfg usb loader.

I also tried to install 249 d2x-v10beta52. Same results.

I generated a syscheck file. Maybe someone can tell me what is missing. See in the end both
    BC v6
    MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.6.1+)

Installed.

sysCheck v2.1.0b19 by Double_A and R2-D2199, Nano
    ...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
    System Menu 4.3U (v513)
    Priiloader installed
    Drive date: 2008.12.18
    Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
    HomebrewFilter ist nicht installiert
    Hollywood v0x21
    Console ID:
    Boot2 v4
    Found 77 titles.
    Found 50 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
    IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
    IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
    IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
    IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
    IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
    IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
    IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
    IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
    IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
    IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
    IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
    IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
    IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
    IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
    IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
    IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
    BC v6
    MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.6.1+)

Report generated on 2015/10/03.

2. hyrulebr

hyrulebr Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2015
    Brazil
    Discovery the problem!

Dios mio didn't like my usb 3.0 hdd. After I exchange for an old drive in usb case dios mio works!

Thanks every one!

Mauricio

3. stephaniie
    OP

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    yupp.

You can ask anyone tonight to aend you the files that dmlizard provide.

or.. wait until tomorrow and i will personally provide them to you.

edit:great :)
    Try gamecube papermario, its lots of fun :)

Last edited by stephaniie, Oct 4, 2015
  4. Lightside

Lightside Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    Italy
    Hello, and many thanks for your guide, Stephaniie! It really helped me move my first tiny steps into the wii modding world :)

I was wondering whether anyone has encountered an issue similar to mine; I have followed the guide/video tutorials to the letter, and, while still able to use and have encountered a few problems; I was wondering if I could ask for some kind assistance! :)

Step 1 (HBC): No problems

Step 2: NAND Backup
    - a single, uncorrectable page error during step 2 (NAND Backup), which led to a failure to verify my NAND. I proceeded nonetheless (my black Sports Resort 2011 Wii is out of warranty, and it only had 10 hours of usage on it, so I thought I'd risk it). I copied my keys.bin and nand.bin files, but... are they reliable?

Step 3 (Priiloader): No problems

Step 4 (UL + Custom ISO install with 27.9MB file provided by HighTeckMan): No particular problem, I moved over to the next section when dealing with the "putting games on the USB device" step as suggested by your tutorial!

Step 5 (Aces guide): The first problem I encountered was the fact that ... well, the file provided in the youtube video showed up as being no longer available for download. I discovered that was because of my ISP blocking the site the file was being hosted on; I proceeded with a different version of DM Lizard, and downloaded alternatives to the files required. I also followed your guide for setting up my 16GB USB key to "host" my Gamecube backups (I lost my first copy of Eternal Darkness to disc rot, and I don't want that to happen to my second copy :D).

Step 6: I didn't try it as I do not own any WiiWare games, and I don't plan on getting any :) I am essentially trying to mod my Wii to play my GC backups.

End result: USB Loader Gx does not see my 16GB USB key; CFG Loader does, and it loads Eternal Darkness properly. What could have gone wrong? :D

Should it be necessary, is there a way to undo some of the steps, in order to try to start the process with a 'blank slate'?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance!

-- Lightside

Last edited by Lightside, Oct 22, 2015
  5. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Can we use an USB Stick instead of a HDD?

6. stephaniie
    OP

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    @Lightside

Whoa, long story there :)

So you get Gamecube games to work at least on CFG Loader?
    Thats great! :)

Anyhow, this could work .. And no . I wouldn't to back to a 'blank slate'.
    As it seems you installed everything right.

Here's an thread where he fixes the similar problem as you,
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/solved-yet-another-usb-loader-gx-initializing-usb-post.383734/

.. But he said he's USB Flash Drive worked before.. So, you could just wait alittle longer or ask here
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1047

Its the Offical Thread on GBATemp for USB Loader GX.
    Lots of helpful people there :)

Last edited by stephaniie, Oct 27, 2015
  7. trippytip

trippytip Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2009
    United States
    Hello, I've followed the guide and managed to fill in holes. My Wiis fun now lol. So thank you very much for this easy to follow guide. I still have to get Gamecube games up and running though.

The link in Section 5 under "Play Wii/Gamecube games from USB-hdd" for DMToolbox is down and when i searched and found another download, it shows the error "This application has failed to start because LIBEAY32.dll was not found."

8. trippytip

trippytip Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2009
    United States
  9. Tere Valentin

Tere Valentin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2015
    Greetings. First I wanna say thank you for the tutorials :D
    Sadly during step 4, I have encountered a problem.
    I got a black screen after trying to play a Wii game via my USB on the USBLoaderGX channel.
    Also, is it normal that USBLoaderGX channel wouldn't open unless my SD card ( with apps still in SD ) was in my wii console?
    Pardon my noobness. I just recently started to SoftMod my Wii for the very first time.

Sidenote: I tried to follow the steps in "Play Wii/Gamecube games from USB-hdd" but Wii games still give black screen. Also, the DMToolbox v.0.3 (Windows XP version) link file no longer is available :( Any chance you have another link that works?

Last edited by Tere Valentin, Nov 21, 2015
  10. gburgue

gburgue GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    Argentina
    This rar includes DMToolbox v0.3 (DMToolbox.exe + libeay32.dll).

cvskid likes this.
  11. Tere Valentin

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2015
    Thank you for the link! :D
    Sadly, I'm still having trouble loading the GC games from my external harddrive. I made triple-sure I installed the correct items but only my wii games appear in USBLoaderGX. I even checked-marked GC games and wii games on Loader-mode but still no GC games.
    Atm I can only make my gamecube games playable via my sd card.

12. gburgue

gburgue GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    Argentina
    I would suggest you ask in this thread: USB Loader GX.

13. Aronlame

Aronlame Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2015
    Malaysia
    can someone pls help me with my wii...when i updating the wii it sudenly turn blank and say error:003 unauthorized device has been detected pls tell me is there any solution on this

14. Tere Valentin

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2015
    I followed the tutorial to be able to play Wiiware games ( games work perfectly ) but I have a question about GeckoOS.
    Is there a way to use Gecko/Ocarina Cheats in GeckoOS onto the Wiiware game channels?? Can anyone provide a link to such a tutorial?

15. aenoch

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    is this the most up to date guide also what is nintendont

16. Sahil Gupta

Sahil Gupta Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2015
    United States
    Whenever I use DMLizard, I don't get the IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

17. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Hey guys, I followed the guide until step 5

I am already using Nintendont for Gamecube games and don't care about DIOS MIOS.

Do I still need to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad to play newer games or just updating USB Loader GX is just fine?

I ask this because the step is: "Play Newer Wii Games, Gamecube games and Install USB Loader GX" and then says follow the video.

18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad is old and shouldn't be suggested to install in any guide.
    This guide is strange and not following proper and common installation method. I would not recommend it.

If you already have d2x v8 or v10, you don't need anything else.
    Just a note : Nintendont does NOT need cIOS at all.

19. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Well, I guess is a little too late for me to not follow the guide anymore lol

I installed the homebrew channel, Bootmii (made nand backup), priiloader, and USB loader gx using this guide.

Is there something else I should be aware off missing in this guide?

20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    did you install d2x yet?
    I don't know if this guide use the installer or suggest you to use wads files and wad manager (there's two method to install).
    that's all you need :
    - hackmii installer (HBC, bootmii)
    - d2x v8 or v10 (NOT v9), and v10 exists in two different version, you should NOT install last version if you don't need it. last is not better. I recommend using v8 on Wii.
    - d2x need to be installed in slot249 and 250, using base 56 and 57.
    - Priiloader, (even if I don't like it, it's useful to fix semi-brick and patch region free, etc.)
    and that's all.

Additional homebrew:
    if you want gamecube backups, you can copy nintendont homebrew on your SD card.

Things you should never do :
    Use "WBFS Manager" or format your USB to WBFS partition.
    WBFS is old, deprecated, and corrupt games. Use FAT32 instead.

I don't like this guide, because she's telling users to place files in different folder's name than the default and expected location.
    for example, the loader default folder is "usbloader_gx" but she tells you to rename it, and I don't understand why.
    It will work, but will be harder to help you if you have an issue because your setup will be different than everyone else.

I also don't like it because it's mixing multiple video tutorial from multiple sources which are not doing the same things.
    And video tutorial are always created by people who don't understand what they are doing and explain bad things to other people. That's not because "it works" for them, that it's a good setup for everyone.

Now, if it works, that's fine for you.
    like I said, the issue will be for us, the helping users in case of issue, because all is upside down.

Tony_93 likes this.