How to SoftMod a Wii and play backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by stephaniie, Jan 16, 2014.

Jan 16, 2014

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    How to SoftMod a Wii to Play Backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games
    (If you new to Softmod a Wii this will give you a 100% safe guide from start-to-finish to play Wii Games, Gamecube Games and Wiiware/Virtual Console games from an USB-drive. Im not kidding. In this guide we only use official files to minimize any risks apart from Step 4 . But I can assure I used this guide to softmod my sister's Wii. She can now play Skyward Sword by USB-drive without problem! :) )

Requirements:
    *SD Card (no SDHC)
    *SD Card reader
    *Wii updated to 4.3 (4.3 is latest version, just update your Wii and you be fine)
    *Internet Connected Wii
    *To play Gamecube games you need this Wii Console /w Gamecube Memory Card and Gamecube Controller

A short description what each step does
    Step 1 - You install Homebrew Channel to install Apps.
    Step 2 - Safety Precaution. Backup Wii System (NAND) to your PC.
    Step 3 - Safety Precaution. Install Priiloader to prevent disc updates to damage your Wii.
    Step 4 - Install Custom IOS using Two Easy Apps. Install USB Loader GX to Play Wii Games .
    Step 5 - Install a d2x Custom IOS to enable New Wii Games. Install DiosMios to Play Gamecube Games.
    (Spoilers Window) Add 'n Play Wii/Gamecube Games + Update USB Loader GX (req for Gamecube games)
    Step 6 - emulate Wii System (NAND) on USB-drive making Add WiiWare/VC Games near impossible to damage your Wii .

1. Install Homebrew Channel

Follow HighTeckMans instructions in video :

2. Backup Wii NAND (to restore your Wii if anything goes wrong)

Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 700mb free space
    Important! Make sure your Wii has more then 700 blocks open. To Check: Turn on your Wii. Goto Wii Options - Data Management - Save Data - Wii. In 'Blocks Open:' there should stand 700 or higher. Then Return to Wii Menu. Press Back 4 times.
    Follow S Winegars instructions in video :
    - In BootMii use the Power button to cycle through options in the menu, and Reset to select.

A. When Wii NAND is backed-up using S Winegars video guide. Shutdown Wii. Remove SD-card from Wii and put SD-card into Computer.
    B. Open SD:\ and check that you have two following files 'NAND.BIN' and 'KEYS.BIN'. Copy these two files into a safe location on your Computer. My tips is to save them into a usb-stick or Dropbox if your Computer crash.
    C. Once you saved the two files 'NAND.BIN' and 'KEYS.BIN' you should remove them from SD-card (NAND.BIN takes 500mb)
    D. Done! :)

3. Install Priiloader (regionfree games and stop updates)

A. Plug SD-card into Computer
    B. Download Priiloader_v0_7.zip . Unzip and Put it into your SD Card. (SD:\)
    C. Download hacks_hash.ini - Scroll down to 'Pre-compiled Hacks download' , right-click, save link as, and save into your SD Card (SD:\)
    D. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch Priiloader.
    E. Press A to Install
    F. Once Priiloader is installed shut down the Wii (Sometimes you Wii freezes after Priiloader installation. Its totally normal. Just re-start your Wii with reset and after Wi Menu appears shut down the Wii)

(configure Priiloader)
    A. Press the "Power" button while holding down the "Reset" button on your Wii until the Priiloader menu is displayed on your screen.
    B. In Priiloader select "System Menu Hacks". These are the following 7 hacks I suggest you select: 'Region free EVERYTHING', 'Block Disc Updates', 'Remove NoCopy Save File Protection', 'Block Online Updates', 'Remove Diagnostic Disc Check', 'Move Disc Channel', 'Auto Press 'A' at health screen'. Select Save Settings when Done.
    C. To Exit Priiloader select System Menu

A video how to configure Priiloader can be found here :

PS: By having Priiloader you prevent disc updates that can damage Homebrew.

4. Install USB Loader GX and Custom IOS

Follow HighTeckMans instructions in video - Zip-file from Youtube video Required :

Important: Skip the video part at 10:30 - 14:00 . We will not use WBFS Manager. Instead we use WiiBackupManager as it allows the USB-device to play Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware games as well. Step 5 in spoilers window (Play Wii/Gamecube games from USB-drive) shows how to use WiiBackupManager.

5. Play Newer Wii Games and Gamecube games

Follow FeuerfaustGolDAces instructions in video - Zip-file from Youtube video Required :

Important: At 3:30 in Video (WiiMod) make sure in 'Wii Mod' to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad before you install DIOSMIOS. After you installed IOS249-d2x goto Main Menu of 'Wii Mod' and select 'Change IOS' and pick 249 . Look in Main Menu right corner it should stand 'Current IOS: 249 . You want to install DIOSMIOS to IOS 249 as you will be playing your gamecube games and wii games from 249.

*After you installed cIOS249-d2x and changed IOS to 249. Continue with Video instructions :)

How to Update USB Loader GX, Backup Wii/Gamecube Games and Play Wii/Gamecube games from SD-card and USB-device. Press Spoilers Inside.
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

6. Install emuNAND to play Wiiware/VC games

A. Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 600mb free space
    B. Plug SD-card into Computer . Make a folder in SD-card called 'GxEmunand' like SD:\GxEmunand\ .
    C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.

(Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
    A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
    B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
    C. Make Sure 'Loader Settings' - Boot/Standard is 249 or change to 249. Then in Loader Settings set 'Nand Chan Emulation' to 'Full'.
    D. Go USB Loader GX - Settings - Features and press 'Dump NAND to EmuNand' . Wait a serious long time until complete.. (grab a sandwhich) . Once dump NAND is complete - Shutdown Wii

(use emuNAND on Computer)
    B. Download and install ShowMiiWads on your PC from http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
    C. Unrar into C:\wii\showmii\ and open ShowMiiWads.exe
    D. Press 'Options' - 'Change NAND Backup Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\
    E. Press 'View' - 'ShowMiiNand'
    F. Press 'Tools' - 'Create Common Key'

How to Backup, Install and Play Wiiware games and also use emuNAND on USB. Press Spoilers inside.
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Extras

Step by step guide how to fix a semibricked Wii

http://gbatemp.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-for-bootmii-nand-wii-backup-restore.176877/
    (Don't use this guide if your Wii works fine)

Install WiiFlow

Video overview of WiiFlow features:

B. Download WiiFlow v4.2.zip and WiiFlow_Channel_Installer_v1.1.zip from http://code.google.com/p/wiiflow/downloads/list . Open both zip-file and move folder 'apps' to SD:\
    C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch WiiFlow Channel Installer.

Install WiiSX (Play Playstation1 Games)

Follow FeuerfaustGolDAces instructions in video - Zip-file from site Required:

How to Fix Nintendo Wii Black Screen
    (Happens when you install incorrect theme or turn on the Black Screen hack in Priiloader)

Follow MicrowaveSams instructions in video :

How to fix Black and White Screen on Wii games
    (Happens when you Play "PAL" European or Japanese games and they're black and white and not in colors which they supposed to be)

Follow YourGadgetSolutions instructions in video :

Install Homebrew Browser (install apps without computer!)

Follow iHackUrWiis instructions in video :
    Last edited by stephaniie, Jul 2, 2014
    brahammar likes this.

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Anyone with comments about this little guide? :)

To viewers a short description of what's happening in all 6 steps

Step 1 - You install Homebrew Channel to install Apps.
    Step 2 - Safety Precaution. Backup your Wii System (NAND) to your PC.
    Step 3 - Safety Precaution. Play Any Game and Stops Updates to hurt your Wii .
    Step 4 - Install Custom IOS using Two Easy Apps. Install USB Loader GX to Play Wii Games .
    Step 5 - Install a d2x Custom IOS to enable New Wii Games. Install DiosMios to Play Gamecube Games.
    (extra) Add 'n Play Wii/Gamecube Games from USB-drive and Update USB Loader GX (req for Gamecube games).
    Step 6 - Copy NAND to PC making Add WiiWare/VC Games near impossible to hurt your Wii .
    Last edited by stephaniie, Apr 17, 2014

slingblade1170 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Nintendo should just include the HBC installed when buying a Wii. Everyone's doing it anyways lol

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Remember.

Nintendo Wii was released 2006 (8 years ago) this process of HBC and USB Loader has taken quite some time .

Message Count:
    United States
    I mean from now on but yes I know, the HBC wasn't released until late 2008 or early 2009. The twilight hack was the primary way to run unsigned code for a long time.

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Yeah. Im not that well-grounded in this scene . Don't really know when it was possible to backup/play Gamecube and Wiiware on Nintendo Wii .
    But I don't think the recent console Wii U will be hacked any time soon

Message Count:
    United States
    The Wii U will probably not be hacked for a long time if ever, until popularity picks up there isn't much reason too. I see the Wii U having a lot of potential hopefully it gets to live up to it.

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    To me it really doesn't have to . Look on the console business today . If we doesn't count handheld consoles there is 3 consoles .
    Microsoft with Xbox
    Sony with Playstation
    And Nintendo with Wii

Microsoft and Sony has lot of good titles that isn't available for PC market . But PS3 only have 150 exclusive titles . So Xbone and PlayCopyKitty ? Doesn't matters both playes just about the same games. However Nintendo not only has given us 1,200 titles with Wii and 280 so-far with Wii U . They also make Video Games .

While most PS/XBone titles is computer-friendly with only enhanced graphical fidelity and a controller . Wii creates games that is fitting for the living room . To relax
    and enjoy something magic , funny and makes you smile . That's why I love Nintendo . They are still producing Video Games, while the others two make controller
    enabled PC games .
    • Newcomer

domek New Member

Message Count:
    Poland
    Can somebody confirm that playing WiiWare from emuNAND is not working on cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52 ? I cant find other threads that mention that.

And if yes, can older d2x cIOS be installed on cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52?

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    i can confirm that as i tried it myself. The .. its working probably but it doesnt work with old wiiware games. i tried tales ofmonkey island and some other wiiware and for me, the beta cios didnt work.

Also i have heard no complains on CIOS v7

Yes. You just install the CIOS over it and make sure its either.. 249-56 or 250-57 .

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I rarely touch my WIi after buying a jailbreaking ps3 . But i might when my gamecube wireless controller comes .
    • Newcomer

TreeHumperMan New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes how many wii consoles have you tried this on? ive tried many different usb loader gx for homebrew and the last one froze while loading the intialize sd card screen. Im new to this whole thing and just wanna play wii back ups really bad and have had many failures so far... please contact me soon. you can even email me directly or text me to help just let me know. i need help though. everyone else gets to enjoy but im still lost.

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Hey,
    As far I know the critical parts in Wii softmod is when you install Custom IOS (part 4) . Im not an expert in this and just followed Youtube guide from HighTechMan step by step. You should write a thread into "Wii - Hacking" section of GBATEMP's Forum. There's alot of talented people here that can help you gladly with your issues . I bet they gonna suggest ModMii , its a really good tool for Wii Softmod and fixes.

And Yes, as far I know, If you have a GameCube compability Wii. You should be able to play Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware games from your USB Harddrive using USB Loader GX r1618 . I do it anyway :)
    Last edited by stephaniie, Mar 29, 2014

mightymuffy New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Nice guide stephaniie - just answered a newbie post and linked her to this guide: for someone who clearly knows very little about computers etc this looks to be very easy for her to understand - good job! *thumbs up*

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    @mightymufTy :)
    • Newcomer

sdaveak47 New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the guide

I'm a bit confused by one thing - step 4 tells me to format my hard drive to WBFS to back up my Wii games but in step 5 I need to have the drive formatted to Fat32 to play Gamecube back ups

Do I need 2 hard drives to do this?

Thanks

Dave
    • Newcomer

Antfoeknee New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Great tutorial! Thanks. :grog:
    Last edited by Antfoeknee, Apr 8, 2014

stephaniie New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Great Question!
    The reason HighTeckMan tells you too format your external harddrive to WBFS is to only play Wii games. If you wish to play other game-consoles as Gamecube and Wiiware from your Harddrive , you will need a FAT32 formated USB-drive ...

The step 5 'spoilers window' goes into detail how to format your harddrive to FAT32 and how to play wiigames, gamecubegames and wiiware from your fat32 hdd.
    Last edited by stephaniie, Apr 19, 2014
    sdaveak47 likes this.
    • Newcomer

sdaveak47 New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks Stephanie - I'll give it a whirl

freestile New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Great thread/topic/post. I modded my wii as soon as the twilight hack was released, and throughout time did all kinds of other mods
    which eventually got me up to date on all the ios/cios. I think I did a mod called "System Menu X" which during that time it was the ultimate mod,
    and had included all the appropriate cios of the time, and system menu mod where you were able to update from nintendo and get the newest
    IOS(if there was any) without destryoying your hbc or any of the mods you did because I think the ios were to high for nintendo to detect or something. I dont think I did any other mods after system menu x, as I was able to update and get the latest ios without losing my mod/hb.

Anyway to go on topic with the formatting of the hdd to wbfs, I dont think I ever did that cause I could play the wii games and the wiiware off the hdd and store other general stuff I needed to as well. I'm thinking my hdd was already formatted to fat32 cause it seemed like all I had to do was create a wbfs on the hdd and put the games in there and they worked. Just wasnt sure if the formatting is actually really required or not, unless your drive already comes formatted. Either way great information on this topic.