Tutorial  Updated

How to SoftMod a Wii and play backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

How to SoftMod a Wii to Play Backup Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware Games

(Disclaimer: Stop in your tracks and visit
https://gbatemp.net/threads/modify-any-wii-4-3-below.171901/
It is a MUCH more updated tutorial for Soft-Modding your Wii. )

(If you new to Softmod a Wii this will give you a 100% safe guide from start-to-finish to play Wii Games, Gamecube Games and Wiiware/Virtual Console games from an USB-drive. Im not kidding. In this guide we only use official files to minimize any risks apart from Step 4 . But I can assure I used this guide to softmod my sister's Wii. She can now play Skyward Sword by USB-drive without problem! :) )

Requirements:
*SD Card (no SDHC)
*SD Card reader
*Wii updated to 4.3 (4.3 is latest version, just update your Wii and you be fine)
*Internet Connected Wii
*USB-hdd to store Wii games and Gamecube games
*To play Gamecube games you need this Wii Console and Gamecube Controller
(No Gamecube Memory Card is required if you use NMM)

A short description what each step does
Step 1 - You install Homebrew Channel to install Apps.
Step 2 - Safety Precaution. Backup Wii System (NAND) to your PC.
Step 3 - Safety Precaution. Install Priiloader to prevent disc updates to damage your Wii.
Step 4 - Patch IOS and Install WADs using Two Easy Apps. Install USB Loader GX to Play Wii Games .
Step 5 - Install a d2x Custom IOS to enable New Wii Games. Install DiosMios to Play Gamecube Games.
(Spoilers Window) Add 'n Play Wii/Gamecube Games + Update USB Loader GX (req for Gamecube games)
Step 6 - emulate Wii System (NAND) on USB-hdd making Add WiiWare/VC Games near impossible to damage your Wii .

1. Install Homebrew Channel

Follow HighTeckMans instructions in video :

2. Backup Wii NAND (to restore your Wii if anything goes wrong)

Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 700mb free space
Important! Make sure your Wii has more then 700 blocks open. To Check: Turn on your Wii. Goto Wii Options - Data Management - Save Data - Wii. In 'Blocks Open:' there should stand 700 or higher. Then Return to Wii Menu. Press Back 4 times.
Follow S Winegars instructions in video :
- In BootMii use the Power button to cycle through options in the menu, and Reset to select.

1. When Wii NAND is backed-up using Project Phoenix Medias video guide. Shutdown Wii. Remove SD-card from Wii and put SD-card into Computer.
2. Open SD:\ and check that you have two following files 'NAND.BIN' and 'KEYS.BIN'. Copy these two files into a safe location on your Computer. My tips is to save them into a usb-stick or Dropbox if your Computer crash.
3. Once you saved the two files 'NAND.BIN' and 'KEYS.BIN' you should remove them from SD-card (NAND.BIN takes 500mb)
4. Done! :)

3. Install Priiloader (regionfree games and stop updates)

1. Plug SD-card into Computer
2. Download Priiloader_v0_7.zip . Unzip and Put it into your SD Card. (SD:\)
3. Download hacks_hash.ini - Scroll down to 'Pre-compiled Hacks download' , right-click, save link as, and save into SD:/apps/Priiloader/ .
4. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch Priiloader.
5. Press A to Install
6. Once Priiloader is installed shut down the Wii (Sometimes you Wii freezes after Priiloader installation. Its totally normal. Just re-start your Wii with reset and after Wi Menu appears shut down the Wii)

(configure Priiloader)
1. Press the "Power" button while holding down the "Reset" button on your Wii until the Priiloader menu is displayed on your screen.
2. In Priiloader select "System Menu Hacks". These are the following 7 hacks I suggest you select: 'Region free EVERYTHING', 'Block Disc Updates', 'Remove NoCopy Save File Protection', 'Block Online Updates', 'Remove Diagnostic Disc Check', 'Move Disc Channel', 'Auto Press 'A' at health screen'. Select Save Settings when Done.
3. To Exit Priiloader select System Menu

A video how to configure Priiloader can be found here :

PS: By having Priiloader you prevent disc updates that can damage Homebrew.

4. Install USB Loader and Custom ISO

Follow HighTeckMans instructions in video - Zip-file from Youtube video Required :

Important! Skip 10:00 - 13:00 in the video. We will not use Wbfs Manager instead we use WiiBackupManager to add Wii games, explained in Part 5 - spoiler windows - Play Wii/Gamecube games from USB-hdd.

5. Play Newer Wii Games, Gamecube games and Install USB Loader GX

Follow Aces instructions in video - Zip-file from Youtube video Required :

Important: At 3:30 in Video (WiiMod) make sure in 'Wii Mod' to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad before you install DIOSMIOS. After you installed IOS249-d2x goto Main Menu of 'Wii Mod' and select 'Change IOS' and pick 249 . Look in Main Menu right corner it should stand 'Current IOS: 249 . You want to install DIOSMIOS to IOS 249 as you will be playing your gamecube games and wii games from 249.

*After you installed cIOS249-d2x and changed IOS to 249. Continue with Video instructions :)

How to Update USB Loader GX, Backup Wii/Gamecube Games and Play Wii/Gamecube games from SD-card and USB-device. Also use NNM and compability list for gamecube games. Press Spoilers Inside.

Update USB Loader GX to latest version
*Required to play Gamecube games.
1. Plug SD-card into Computer
2. Open DMLizard type 2 and 2 then s to download USB Loader GX . Once downloaded type 0 then 0 to Exit DMLizard . Copy dmlizard\copy-to-sd\apps\usbloader_gx\ to SD:\apps\usbloader_gx\ - overwrite current files
3. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii

Play Wii/Gamecube games from USB-hdd
1. Format your USB to FAT32 with cluster size 32KB using FAT32 Format. Download to Desktop and Run. Select Drive and '32768' as Allocation unit Size. Choice a Volume Label, Mark Quick Format and Start the Format Progress. Like this - http://i.imgur.com/E6CXvPP.png
2. To Play Gamecube Games - Create a folder 'games' inside the FAT32 HDD. Download and Open DMToolbox v.0.3 (Windows XP version) (Works with Windows 7). Click 'black folder' in Gamecube ISO: and select your GameCube ISO file . Click 'yellow folder' in Output dir: and choose any folder (i.e. Desktop) . Finally Press Install . After installation is complete, in Desktop move the GAMEID folder to USB:\games\ .
3. To Play Wii Games - Download and Open WiiBackupManager . Click 'Drive 1' and select USB-drive from 'inactive' . Click 'Files' - 'Add - Files' and select your Wii ISO file(s) . Lastly Click 'Transfer - Drive 1' to put all Wii ISO file(s) into your USB-drive .
4. Remove USB-drive from Computer and plug into Wii . Also plug in Gamecube controller and Gamecube Memory Card in Wii .
5. Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX . Press this icon (Loader Mode) !! ( http://i.imgur.com/ioqV74i.png ) . Select Wii Games and GC Games .
6 Done! :)

Backup Wii/GameCube Disc
1. Plug USB-drive into Wii . Start Wii . Launch USB Loader GX .
2. Put a Wii/Gamecube Disc into the Wii . Wait then click 'Install' and 'OK' .
3. When installation is done. You can click the newly added game to get its boxart .
4. Remove your Wii/Gamecube Disc from the Wii.
5. Done! :)

Play Gamecube games from SD-card
1. Plug SD-card into Computer .
2. Add your GameCube ISO file(s) to SD:\games\
3. Open DMLizard type 1 then 2 to download DIOS MIOS Lite . Once downloaded type 0 then 0 to Exit DMLizard . Copy files from dmlizard\copy-to-sd\wad\ to SD:\wad\ .
4. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Also put in Gamecube controller and Gamecube Memory Card in Wii .
5. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch Wii Mod .
6. Goto WAD Manager . And install two WAD files 'DIOSMIOSLite_v2.10.wad' and 'RVL-BC-v6.wad' . Close Wii Mod after installation.
7. Launch USB Loader GX . Press this icon (Loader Mode) !! ( http://i.imgur.com/ioqV74i.png ) . Select GC Games . Start your GameCube Game .

NNM - No More Memory Cards
NNM is an alternative saving method for gamecube games. You simply don't need a Gamecube Memory Card anymore. You enable NNM in 'Settings' inside USB Loader GX. With NNM enabled your saves for gamecube games are stored in the Wii, not a memory Card.

DIOS MIOS Compatibility List for Gamecube games
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List

Alt to DIOSMIOS (Devolution) req Retail Discs
Devolution is an alternative method to DIOSMIOS with higher compability but needs an retail Discs of current game in order to play.
1. Plug SD-card into Computer. Goto http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/ and download Devo_src package on first the first post.
2. Open Zip-file and put "/gc_devo/" folder into SD:/apps/ .
3. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wi.
4. Launch USB Loader GX and go to Settings > User Paths > DEVO Loader path : Set the folder to " SD:/Apps/gc_devo/data/ " .
5. Lastly, either in global settings (for ALL gamecube games) or in the individuel game settings . Set "GameCube Mode to "Devolution" instead of "MIOS".

Launch the Game, it will flash the Wii light until yor ISO is verified. Put your retail disc to vertify the backup, then play the game. (Cyans words _ Developer of USB Loader GX)

DIOS MIOS Formula
Install DIOSMIOS_v2.11.wad and RVL-BC-v6.wad to Play Gamecube games from USB
Install DIOSMIOSLite_v2.11.wad and RVL-BC-v6.wad to Play Gamecube games from SD-card
Install RVL-mios-v10.wad to remove DIOSMIOS and use Gamecube Disc as normal
6. Install emuNAND to play Wiiware/VC games

A. Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 600mb free space
B. Plug SD-card into Computer . Make a folder in SD-card called 'GxEmunand' like SD:\GxEmunand\ .
C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.

(Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
C. Make Sure 'Loader Settings' - Boot/Standard is 249 or change to 249. Then in Loader Settings set 'Nand Chan Emulation' to 'Full'.
D. Go USB Loader GX - Settings - Features and press 'Dump NAND to EmuNand' . Wait a serious long time until complete.. (grab a sandwhich) . Once dump NAND is complete - Shutdown Wii

(use emuNAND on Computer)
A. Plug SD-card into Computer
B. Download and install ShowMiiWads on your PC from http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
C. Unrar into C:\wii\showmii\ and open ShowMiiWads.exe
D. Press 'Options' - 'Change NAND Backup Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\
E. Press 'View' - 'ShowMiiNand'
F. Press 'Tools' - 'Create Common Key'

How to Backup, Install and Play Wiiware games and also use emuNAND on USB. Press Spoilers inside.

To Backup your Wiiware/VC games
In ShowMiiWads - select the file called 'Channel Title' - games name' , then right-click , pack wad, and choose a suitable location , like C:\wii\showmii\backed-games\ , press OK.

To Install a backed-up Wiiware/VC game
Right-click in ShowMiiWads - 'Install' - 'File' - select game-wad file.

To Play a backed-up Wiiware/VC game
A. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.
B. Press this icon (Loader Mode) !! ( http://i.imgur.com/ioqV74i.png )
C. Select only EmuNAND Channels

(If you have invisible channels using USB Loader GX - Loader Mode - EmuNand Channels. You can remove them by following step. Press A on them to go into animation mode. Press Settings (NOT START). Uninstall Menu. Uninstall Game. GAME ONLY. - Do this for all invisible channels and you will have only your games showing.)

To use emuNAND on USB-drive (FAT32)
A. Plug SD-card and USB-drive into Computer
B. Move SD:\GxEmunand\ folder to USB:\GxEmunand\
C. Open ShowMiiWads.exe and Options - 'Change NAND Backup path' to USB:\GxEmunand\ .
D. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug USB and SD-card into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX
E. In USB Loader GX go Settings - Custom Paths
F. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to USB:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
G. Press Back and return to USB Loader GX
H. Done! :)

Error using Wiiware through EmuNAND?
PS: Just so you know - I tried it myself. If you WiiWare wasn't working through emuNAND. Look in USBLoader GX - Settings - Credits, if your using the 'cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52' it will not work! Go ahead and install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad using Step 5 in this guide. Then Wiiware works. :)

Fix Blackscreen with VC in emuNAND
Happens when playing USA games with a European Wii. Open selected VC game - 'Settings' - 'Loader Settings'in 'Video Patch 'select Force NTFC. Press Save. Now it should work. :)

Use cheats (Ocarnia) in Wiiware/VC games
Unfortunely I can't get Ocarnia working with Wiiware/VC games in USB Loader GX. So an alternate solution is to use the App '....tbc

The benefit of emuNAND
WAD installation happens on Computer therefore there is NONE TO LESS risk of Brick your Wii. If you wish to play Wiiware/VC games emuNAND is your solution. period.

Extras

Step by step guide how to fix a semibricked Wii

http://gbatemp.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-for-bootmii-nand-wii-backup-restore.176877/
(Don't use this guide if your Wii works fine)

Install WiiFlow

Video overview of WiiFlow features:

A. Plug SD-card into Computer
B. Download WiiFlow v4.2.zip and WiiFlow_Channel_Installer_v1.1.zip from http://code.google.com/p/wiiflow/downloads/list . Open both zip-file and move folder 'apps' to SD:\
C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch WiiFlow Channel Installer. And install it!
D. Done! :)

Install WiiSX (Play Playstation1 Games)

Follow FeuerfaustGolDAces instructions in video - Zip-file from site Required:

How to Fix Nintendo Wii Black Screen
(Happens when you install incorrect theme)

Follow MicrowaveSams instructions in video :

How to fix Black and White Screen on Wii games
(Happens when you Play "PAL" European or Japanese games and they're black and white and not in colors which they supposed to be)

Follow YourGadgetSolutions instructions in video :

Install Homebrew Browser (install apps without computer!)

Follow iHackUrWiis instructions in video :

Last edited by somewhereovertherainbow,

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC/Wii Network Share WiiMC

First Video shows setup in Windows . Second Video shows setup in Wii.
WiiMC is an App located here - http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC.
An alternative to WiiMC is WiiExplorer located here - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiXplorer

how to Play SNES on Wii

Get American Netflix on Wii!

In Sweden I use Primary : 088.080.186.067 and Secondary : 162.243.065.031
Tips: Download Netflix from Wii Shop Channel so you get latest version.

How to Get Cheats (Ocarina) through USB Loader GX

Follow Adams instructions in video : ( App Gecko OS is found here )

Play Wii Games Online after WFC shutdown

Get Online with Retail Disc - Watch Youtube video!

Get Online with ISO file: To get Online with Mario Kart and others games follow this instructions.
For Mario Kart - Goto http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Wiimmfi-Patcher and
click "Download for MKWii". Extract the content of the zipfile to any folder. Copy an Mario-Kart.iso file into this folder to patch. Windows-User start the patch-wiimmfi.bat, Linux- and Mac-User start the patch-wiimmfi.sh. Now marioKart.iso in the folder get patched. After patching, you find the new iso file in the folder wiimmfi-images. You can now copy it to your HDD or USB-Stick.
For Others Games - Goto http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Wiimmfi-Patcher and click "Download for others games". Click "Patcher/" and "wiimmfi-patcher-v3.7z" in new Window. Extract the content of the zipfile to any folder. Copy all iso files you want to patch except MarioKart into this folder.Windows-User start the patch-wiimmfi.bat, Linux- and Mac-User start the patch-wiimmfi.sh. Now all iso files in the folder get patched. After patching, you find the new iso file in the folder wiimmfi-images. You can now copy it to your HDD or USB-Stick.

A list of Players Online for each Game - ATM only MarioKart and Super Smash Bros Brawl works.
http://wiimmfi.de/game

Fix Blackscreen in Wii Games with USB Loader GX

Convert WBFS to Fat32 (Enable Gamecube ISOs)

Fix Wii Disc Read Error

Anyone with comments about this little guide? :)

Last edited by somewhereovertherainbow,

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Remember.

Nintendo Wii was released 2006 (8 years ago) this process of HBC and USB Loader has taken quite some time .

I mean from now on but yes I know, the HBC wasn't released until late 2008 or early 2009. The twilight hack was the primary way to run unsigned code for a long time.

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean from now on but yes I know, the HBC wasn't released until late 2008 or early 2009. The twilight hack was the primary way to run unsigned code for a long time.
Yeah. Im not that well-grounded in this scene . Don't really know when it was possible to backup/play Gamecube and Wiiware on Nintendo Wii .
But I don't think the recent console Wii U will be hacked any time soon

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Im not that well-grounded in this scene . Don't really know when it was possible to backup/play Gamecube and Wiiware on Nintendo Wii .
But I don't think the recent console Wii U will be hacked any time soon

The Wii U will probably not be hacked for a long time if ever, until popularity picks up there isn't much reason too. I see the Wii U having a lot of potential hopefully it gets to live up to it.

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it really doesn't have to . Look on the console business today . If we doesn't count handheld consoles there is 3 consoles .
Microsoft with Xbox
Sony with Playstation
And Nintendo with Wii

Microsoft and Sony has lot of good titles that isn't available for PC market . But PS3 only have 150 exclusive titles . So Xbone and PlayCopyKitty ? Doesn't matters both playes just about the same games. However Nintendo not only has given us 1,200 titles with Wii and 280 so-far with Wii U . They also make Video Games .

While most PS/XBone titles is computer-friendly with only enhanced graphical fidelity and a controller . Wii creates games that is fitting for the living room . To relax
and enjoy something magic , funny and makes you smile . That's why I love Nintendo . They are still producing Video Games, while the others two make controller
enabled PC games .

Reactions: Violex

domek

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can somebody confirm that playing WiiWare from emuNAND is not working on cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52 ? I cant find other threads that mention that.

And if yes, can older d2x cIOS be installed on cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52?

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can confirm that as i tried it myself. The .. its working probably but it doesnt work with old wiiware games. i tried tales ofmonkey island and some other wiiware and for me, the beta cios didnt work.

Also i have heard no complains on CIOS v7

Yes. You just install the CIOS over it and make sure its either.. 249-56 or 250-57 .

TreeHumperMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes how many wii consoles have you tried this on? ive tried many different usb loader gx for homebrew and the last one froze while loading the intialize sd card screen. Im new to this whole thing and just wanna play wii back ups really bad and have had many failures so far... please contact me soon. you can even email me directly or text me to help just let me know. i need help though. everyone else gets to enjoy but im still lost.

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes how many wii consoles have you tried this on? ive tried many different usb loader gx for homebrew and the last one froze while loading the intialize sd card screen. Im new to this whole thing and just wanna play wii back ups really bad and have had many failures so far... please contact me soon. you can even email me directly or text me to help just let me know. i need help though. everyone else gets to enjoy but im still lost.

Hey,
As far I know the critical parts in Wii softmod is when you install Custom IOS (part 4) . Im not an expert in this and just followed Youtube guide from HighTechMan step by step. You should write a thread into "Wii - Hacking" section of GBATEMP's Forum. There's alot of talented people here that can help you gladly with your issues . I bet they gonna suggest ModMii , its a really good tool for Wii Softmod and fixes.

And Yes, as far I know, If you have a GameCube compability Wii. You should be able to play Wii, Gamecube and Wiiware games from your USB Harddrive using USB Loader GX r1618 . I do it anyway :)

sdaveak47

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the guide

I'm a bit confused by one thing - step 4 tells me to format my hard drive to WBFS to back up my Wii games but in step 5 I need to have the drive formatted to Fat32 to play Gamecube back ups

Do I need 2 hard drives to do this?

Thanks

Dave

somewhereovertherainbow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the guide

I'm a bit confused by one thing - step 4 tells me to format my hard drive to WBFS to back up my Wii games but in step 5 I need to have the drive formatted to Fat32 to play Gamecube back ups

Do I need 2 hard drives to do this?

Thanks

Dave
Great Question!
The reason HighTeckMan tells you too format your external harddrive to WBFS is to only play Wii games. If you wish to play other game-consoles as Gamecube and Wiiware from your Harddrive , you will need a FAT32 formated USB-drive ...

The step 5 'spoilers window' goes into detail how to format your harddrive to FAT32 and how to play wiigames, gamecubegames and wiiware from your fat32 hdd.

Reactions: sdaveak47

freestile

Trophies
https://www.youtube.com/user/freestilesteve
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Great thread/topic/post. I modded my wii as soon as the twilight hack was released, and throughout time did all kinds of other mods
which eventually got me up to date on all the ios/cios. I think I did a mod called "System Menu X" which during that time it was the ultimate mod,
and had included all the appropriate cios of the time, and system menu mod where you were able to update from nintendo and get the newest
IOS(if there was any) without destryoying your hbc or any of the mods you did because I think the ios were to high for nintendo to detect or something. I dont think I did any other mods after system menu x, as I was able to update and get the latest ios without losing my mod/hb.

Anyway to go on topic with the formatting of the hdd to wbfs, I dont think I ever did that cause I could play the wii games and the wiiware off the hdd and store other general stuff I needed to as well. I'm thinking my hdd was already formatted to fat32 cause it seemed like all I had to do was create a wbfs on the hdd and put the games in there and they worked. Just wasnt sure if the formatting is actually really required or not, unless your drive already comes formatted. Either way great information on this topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did it all for the cookie!!!