[HOW-TO] Setup Custom Firmware w/ SigPatches

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by iAqua, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Were you successful in installing redNAND?

1. Yes, it worked perfectly.

169 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Yes, but with some hiccups.

31 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. No, and I bricked.

34 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. No, it didn't work, but I didn't brick! :)

15 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    is this option: Use syshax.xml (coldboothax): off supposed to be set to on to use sysNAND and mocha together, 'cause I was getting infinite loading after exiting a game only on sysNAND.

2. muff_diving_101

muff_diving_101 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    This is true. I personally choose it just because I like the extra cusion just in case that extremely small chance of something going wrong does happen. It's a little overkill but I had the SD for Loadiine anyways.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No I don't believe it is. With sysNAND Mocha you set the Config view mode to default which wouldn't even have that option available. Is it only after exiting a game and not on the initial boot into mocha that this is happening?

3. omanitztristen

omanitztristen Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2017
    United States
    By playing games do you mean acquiring the titleid and playing them that way?
    Edit: Just saw what you wrote, never mind. Could you link me to a forum page with the instructions on how to do just this? This is all I really need it for.
    Edit 2: Did a little searching I found WiiU USB helper and the video says I need CFW. By that, does he mean I can use Mocha to get to redNAND and install it from there?

Last edited by omanitztristen, Apr 7, 2017
  4. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    What you need is some form of signature patching. Mocha is one of your choices for that. If you choose to use Mocha for signature patching, that doesn't mean that you have to use redNAND with it.

5. omanitztristen

omanitztristen Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2017
    United States
    Do you have a link or a list of steps to the bare basics of playing games using WiiU USB Helper and an SD card?

6. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    I don't see a tutorial specific to WiiU USB Helper, but you already have the video, outdated though it may be. Other than substituting Simple Signature Patcher for all that CFW business, you should be able to load a game based on that video.

Put Homebrew Launcher on your SD
    Put Simple Signature Patcher on your SD
    Put WUP Installer y mod or WUP Installer GX2 on your SD
    Download your game with Helper
    Use Copy to SD in Helper to put it on SD
    Put the SD in the WiiU
    Visit loadiine.ovh from your WiiU
    Launch HBL
    Run Simple Signature Patcher
    Run WupInstaller
    Install the game
    Get out of WupInstaller and HBL
    Run the game

(If you need specific help, please look in the appropriate threads or start your own, because you're getting pretty far OT.)

7. omanitztristen

omanitztristen Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2017
    United States
    Thankyou for all your help guys.

8. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    <snip>

9. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    Of course, if you're not actually configging with SystemConfigTool, just looking at for example whether regionhax worked, you can install a patched version of it to SysNAND without bricking. I did it mainly for the lolz.

10. muff_diving_101

muff_diving_101 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    Yea no problem! Glad we got that worked out for you :) And yea if you're just looking for sig patching that will definitely work. And if you have mocha already on your SD card you can just turn redNAND off and have a cfw with sig patching that way. Whichever you prefer will work great! Btw you may want to back up your SD card to your PC and reformat it to get rid of that hidden partition. If you're not using redNAND it's just a waste of space. For games, I personally use Wii U USB Helper and love it. Have a great day!

Last edited by muff_diving_101, Apr 7, 2017
  11. Pokepicker

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    I have a question I'd like an answer to before proceeding.
    I followed the guide and it worked like a charm. I got rednand set up with no hickups. My question is: Can I install some other DS VC game and install Haxchi to have a HBL button on my rednand homescreen?
    Or is there an easier way to get a HBL button on my rednand menu?

12. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    If I remember correctly sigpatches are enabled on RedNAND (feel free to call me an idiot either for not being 100% sure or being wrong), so you should be able to just install the Homebrew Launcher Channel (https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases, you want the channel not the rpx)

muff_diving_101 and Pokepicker like this.
  13. Pokepicker

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Thank you

14. Tyrese

Tyrese Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2017
    I have a problem, rednand has been working for 2 months. It was working yesterday and as soon as I turned it off and ran rednand after turning it on and everything everytime when the gamepad says welcome to rednand it freezes right there and the Wii u sound stops

15. Tyrese

Tyrese Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2017
    I think I've found out the error to this. So SLCCMPT and SLC successfully dumped to my pc but MLC won't dump or inject so could I remove rednand completely or find away to reinstall it again because in this case there's a bricking possibility right now.

16. ShinyRotom

ShinyRotom Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Italy
    It seems I've got a problem.
    After setting redNAND up, my PC says it's necessary to format the SD because there's no known system file in it. Therefore I can't use it, and can't put HBL files on it. sdio nand extractor seems to work fine however, dumping the NAND on my PC.

17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    what size sd card do u have? u should be able to format it. the unallocated memory won't be affected. that's what redNAND will read as.

18. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Why do people even use rednand anymore? CBHC is so much better, and it only requires that you buy one ds vc from nintendo for 7 bucks. And you can use your sd for more than just a nand!

NintendU_the_great likes this.
  19. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    I don't think you realize CBHC is a payload chainloader with a cfw built in, CBHC applies to redNAND too. SD space is a valid concern though.

20. ShinyRotom

ShinyRotom Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Italy
    The card is 64 Gb. I formatted it, and now the PC reads it only as a 32 Gb memory... and I still can't access it.