[HOW-TO] Setup Custom Firmware w/ SigPatches

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by iAqua, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Were you successful in installing redNAND?

1. Yes, it worked perfectly.

171 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Yes, but with some hiccups.

32 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. No, and I bricked.

35 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. No, it didn't work, but I didn't brick! :)

15 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. MrDorito

MrDorito Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Svalbard
    Depressionville, Depression city
    ^ Same problem as @CyKoDeLiC but mines a step backwards. I'm on RedNAND and the Internet Browser doesnt boot at all...

2. kbmarinha

kbmarinha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    can someone help me please? i did the coldboot bu now i need to boot my sysnand. is there a way to boot it again?

and why i lost my save? my mario kart save is gone as the dlc i bought from eshop

Last edited by kbmarinha, Dec 21, 2016
  3. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I've installed a few games to an HDD using the Brazilian exploit, what are the advantages of using RedNAND over this method?

4. CyKoDeLiC

CyKoDeLiC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Is this CFW region free? And if not, how can I achieve that`?

5. Hossain Al-Khulaif

Hossain Al-Khulaif Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    United States
    Can i move my rednand stuff to a sysnand cfw without losing anything ?

6. iAqua
    OP

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Not really, you'd have to start over with sysNAND.

7. Marco47

Marco47 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    Argentina
    Hey! I'm kind of new to this and I haven0t found the answer to my question, so if anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it!

If I want to install Wii VC Games (like Super Mario Galaxy), which CFW do I have to use? redNAND or sysNAND?

8. iAqua
    OP

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    sysNAND.

9. Marco47

Marco47 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    Argentina
    Thank you so much!

iAqua likes this.
  10. Barelands

Barelands Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Mexico
    Hello.
    Would RedNAND be useful for extra protection against bricks?

11. redzero36

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States
    So if I run mocha for the first time and have it setup my rednand, the nand image on the sd card should work as a nand backup if my wii u bricks during the install of coldboothax right? Is there a byte size I can check for to see if the dump is a valid dump like in 3DS nand dumps?

Edit:
    Also how would I restore my nand if I were to do so? Pretty sure it'll be a hard mod, is the guide on reboot.ms eMMC dump+restore most current method/correct way to do it?

Last edited by redzero36, Dec 23, 2016
  12. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I just set up Haxchi and Mocha last night for sysNAND with no CBH, but I have a question about sigpatching. If I run Mocha to sigpatch my system and install the WUP files I want (HBC), on next boot do I also have to run Mocha again to be able to run the HBC that was installed? Or is it only needed for installation? What happens if I run HBC without sigpatching (I imagine just an error code and reboot, but just checking)?

Also, I know Haxchi is the same thing as HBC but I'm just having fun doing all this stuff as I finally have time over the holidays.

There is currently no way to restore a NAND image to the WiiU even with a hard mod. There are ways to restore, but AFAIK @smealum is the only one to properly do so in the wild, and if you can restore it is also very very VERY situational at this point in time.

13. kbmarinha

kbmarinha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    i need help here please. my sd card has a partition of 8gb that i cant open. i have to copy files SLC, SLCCMPT, and MLC to there or to the other partition of 20gb? i have a 32gb sd card btw

14. iAqua
    OP

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Inject using the sdio nand tool

15. simon66

simon66 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2016
    Canada
    I've had the same issue. Instead of using "Homebrew Launcher 1.4 (5.5.0 - 5.5.1)", I use "Homebrew Launcher Illuminaty (5.5.0 - 5.5.1)". It works 100% of the time :) Works both on redNAND and sysNAND.

16. Powerful

Powerful GBAtemp Regular

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    What?! I just installed system config on my system nand and it didn't brick? Basically did all the steps to set up rednand, but right when it said extract all the backups on sd I did and it kept my cache from mocha so rednand wasn't enabled, but I booted mocha then went to wupinstaller followed the steps and it worked like the Brazilian method. It rebooted fine and launched fine. I know I wasn't in rednand because afterwards I found out my mistake and now I am in rednand but system config is ??? Like the haxchi was supposed to. I also installed haxchi and coldboot on system nand. I did launch system config but I didn't mess with a single setting, idk if that's what was causing the bricks but it installed perfectly and I don't understand. I removed it and got into rednand this time and have it all set up like its supposed to now but I wanted to share to see if anyone knows if it's safe now or if I got lucky, or anything?

Last edited by Powerful, Dec 25, 2016
  17. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    It's safe,
    It's a system app, yes, but it's not launched on boot, so it's safe (@punderino said it too)

Powerful likes this.
  18. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Installing sys config on sysnand has (almost) always been safe (I got mine from punderino). The reason many don't have you do it is that some settings can brick retail units. That or everyone were to scared to install it to sysnand thinking it would brick like everything else that was just found out..

Powerful likes this.
  19. Powerful

Powerful GBAtemp Regular

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Oh okay awesome, I was wondering what was going on. I might just add it back then.

20. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    I think that actmgr friendviewer and friendmgr are safe too

iAqua likes this.