Tutorial  Updated

Setting up coldboothax for usage with redNAND, ;).

This is now obsolete, my CFW guide covers this, please follow this instead of the guide here.

THIS MAY BRICK YOUR WII U PERMANENTLY! ME/GBATEMP WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE.

Installing Haxchi :
Requirements :
  • redNAND setup, follow this to set it up.
  • All of the requirements that are needed for redNAND setup.
  • Some money, around 10$.
Installing Haxchi
  • Purchase a compatible DS VC game off of the eShop, here are some compatible games. MAKE SURE IT'S INSTALLED TO NAND, DO NOT LEAVE IT ON USB.
  • Set up haxchi by following the guide here, it's under Installation.

Setting up coldboothax :
Editing system.xml a.k.a installing coldboothax
  • Boot up iosuhax for sysNAND, compile this.
  • Place the fw.img you receive from compiling iosuhax on your sd card.
  • Boot up the homebrew launcher.
  • Run cfwbooter.
  • You should have a wupclient folder where you compiled iosuhax, open it and edit wupclient.py and add your IP address.
  • Open a command prompt window in the folder where you have wupclient.py and run "python -i wupclient.py"
  • Run "w.dl("/vol/system_slc/config/system.xml")" without the first and last quotation marks
  • Open system.xml in a text editor like Notepad++ and edit the default_title_id, set it to the title id of your haxchi'd game.
  • Save and run "w.up("system.xml", "/vol/system/config/system.xml")" without the first and last quotation marks.
  • Reboot your Wii U, pray, glhf.
CREDITS:
@smealum - Original IOSUHax
@FIX94 - IOSUHax improvements

Last edited by iAqua,

RevX1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having a bit of a problem. I can load rednand fine with haxchi and sysnand finw with coldboothax, but as soon as I try to boot rednand with coldboothax, my wiiu freezes on a black screen.

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change the guide to dimok's fork of iosuhax and you'd have to run "make cfw"

Dimok's is more stable™

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change the guide to dimok's fork of iosuhax and you'd have to run "make cfw"

Dimok's is more stable™

I believe you have to do "make cfw-coldboot" otherwise it will loop. I think the difference between the regular CFW and the CFW-Coldboot is that CFW-Coldboot loads syshax.xml instead of system.xml because loading system.xml just keeps loading itself causing an infinite loop.

Reactions: Conn0r

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you have to do "make cfw-coldboot" otherwise it will loop. I think the difference between the regular CFW and the CFW-Coldboot is that CFW-Coldboot loads syshax.xml instead of system.xml because loading system.xml just keeps loading itself causing an infinite loop.
Does this means sig patches fw.img wont work and it will cause boot loop?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this means sig patches fw.img wont work and it will cause boot loop?

No sir. As far as I know sigpatched CFW is all that is availble for coldboot as redNAND has been since release and Dimok's fork was prior to CFW-Coldboot becoming available.

I'm coldbooting sigpatched sysNAND. Everything working as expected.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess all I'm trying to say is that setting up coldboot rednand according to this guide is a bad idea.

It's no more dangerous than setting up sysNAND coldboothax (which isn't dangerous at all if you can follow instructions). Even if your Haxchi isn't setup to launch something alternate with a button you could just replace the redNAND fw.img with a sysNAND coldboot fw.img. As long as you didn't fail at setting up coldboothax you have a means to boot therefore you have a means to use wupclient to revert the changes to your system.xml file in case you want to return to the stock behavior. People are being such p______ about coldboothax. As if there are so many ways you can brick by doing it. There's one way you can brick. Failure to follow simple instructions. The fw.img can be downloaded if you can't be bothered to compile it and Haxchi can be installed with a push of a button thanks to Haxchi installer 2.0. Then coldboothax is setup by simply pulling a file, making a copy, editing the file and pushing the modified file and the copy back to the system. Yes, you will brick if you edit the file wrong. Well, double check it before you save and upload it then. It's one value that you have to change. Most of the people who failed at coldboothax bricked because they had Haxchi installed on USB instead of NAND. The new Haxchi installer will only install if it's on the NAND so these kind of bricks are even less likely. It's not fricken rocket surgery! If you don't want to mess with it then don't. All it does is eliminate the need to tap the gamepad one to three times to load CFW/apply sigpatching. That being said it's freaking awesome that I don't have to do anything to load CFW after turning on the Wii U. Even if it does take a minute to boot.

Coldboothax doesn't kill Wii Us! User error kills Wii Us!

Reactions: iAqua

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is true, if you follow this guide verbatim, you will get painted into a corner a lot quicker than you would otherwise.

No sir. I don't want to argue. I've already explained no less than twice why that is not that case. If you don't want to use coldboothax (redNAND or sysNAND) then don't. It doesn't accomplish anything you can't do yourself with one to three taps after boot. It does get the b____es wet though.

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
If it were as simple as "editing a file", then someone would have used libiosuhax to make an automatic coldboot installer already. Nobody's done it though probably cause anybody who has enough programming knowledge to do such a thing is staying away; it isn't worth the added risk when we already have HBL on sysnand.

There's one way you can brick. Failure to follow simple instructions.
Actual ways to brick:
- invalid xml formatting (subtle differences that may not be visible in whitespace-- nintendo's XML formatting isn't even valid XML so really anything could be invalid)
- editing the wrong file (it's pretty simple to accidentally mess up a different file via wupclient using w.up)
- editing the wrong part of the right file (the guide here doesn't even show what the edited XML file looks like, just mentions the XML key to edit)
- putting in the wrong title ID (copying the title ID from the wrong region? where's a list of title IDs? does it have dashes in the title ID? upper/lower case? none of this is covered)
- having haxchi improperly configured (probably less likely with the new haxchi installer, but applies to people who have it on usb, or perhaps have a bad/older install from the eshop)
- wupclient file transfer failing, due to misc wupserver instabilities (wupclient reports a "0" when the file transfer is successful, this isn't mentioned anywhere here)

And probably some other ways as well. And none of these risks are required to take, seeing as HBL can just be placed on sysnand with no risk and be faster to launch anyway than a coldboot (via quickstart).

I have nothing against the people who have it installed cause... that'd be weird to hold something against people who are free to do what they want with their systems. But I think it's really saying something that no Wii U developer (or even python developer, if there's so much faith in wupserver) has taken it upon themselves to write an automatic installer for this yet.

If such an installer were to exist and had several checks against bricking, I'd probably have a different attitude towards this, but until then it's not fair to say things like "don't be a baby, it's simply editing a file. Do you even know how to edit a file?"

Also tangentially related, but a fw.img shouldn't be required anymore with https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-signature-check-patcher.451138/ (wiiubru link)

Reactions: Billy Acuña

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it were as simple as "editing a file", then someone would have used libiosuhax to make an automatic coldboot installer already. Nobody's done it though probably cause anybody who has enough programming knowledge to do such a thing is staying away; it isn't worth the added risk when we already have HBL on sysnand.

Very good information. While it may be an oversimplification, when you boil it down, once you have the prerequisites in place setting up coldboothax is just changing a single value in a system file. I can understand why a dev wouldn't want to release a coldboothax installer. I'm not a dev, but I would imagine that it would be difficult to make such an installer foolproof. For example I would think that it would be difficult, or impossible for all I know, for the installer to verify that Haxchi is setup correctly. I would never use an installer anyways. I may sound nonchalant about the whole process but I was actually very, very careful to ensure that everything was correct prior to rebooting. I wouldn't feel comfortable setting up coldboothax unless I could verify for myself that everything was good to go. HBL on the Wii U menu ain't that great in it's current state. You need to be sigpatched to run it. I didn't realize you could start HBL via quicklaunch. So you don't have to reload CFW or reapply sigpatching when you exit standby mode? I don't get it. If sigpatching survives standby mode then you don't need to quickstart HBL. If sigpatching doesn't stay loaded when entering standby mode then you can't quickstart HBL. I don't really care that it takes a little longer to coldboot CFW. The fact the no user interaction is required is what is most appealing to me.

"Actual ways to brick:
- invalid xml formatting (subtle differences that may not be visible in whitespace-- nintendo's XML formatting isn't even valid XML so really anything could be invalid)"

Sure, but how are you going to mess up the formatting? You're not adding or subtracting any bytes. Just replacing a value with one of equal size. I just tested editing system.xml with Notepad and it worked fine. The MD5 matched the modified system.xml on my Wii U.

"- editing the wrong file (it's pretty simple to accidentally mess up a different file via wupclient using w.up)"

Is it really? That seems like a stretch. Regardless, if you don't double check what you typed then that's negligence. Besides, I think most people copy/paste from the guide they are following.

"- editing the wrong part of the right file (the guide here doesn't even show what the edited XML file looks like, just mentions the XML key to edit)"

The part of the file that you need to edit should be obvious.

"- putting in the wrong title ID (copying the title ID from the wrong region? where's a list of title IDs? does it have dashes in the title ID? upper/lower case? none of this is covered)"

Use the wrong region? Pay attention to what you're doing. The unmodified file doesn't have a dash in the title ID so why would somebody think they should add one? Also, the value "default_os_id" uses lowercase so the proper case to use should be obvious. I agree that the guide should have the title IDs of the compatible games listed. I used that tile key site, the Wii U title ID database, and I found it listed in another guide somewhere. I made sure to triple check since the guide I used lacked the title ID info.

"- having haxchi improperly configured (probably less likely with the new haxchi installer, but applies to people who have it on usb, or perhaps have a bad/older install from the eshop)"

The guide should absolutely mention that you should test Haxchi prior to altering the system.xml file. I could see that being a brick source. The guide I followed had that step but there's no way I would have proceeded without ensuring that it was set up properly anyway. Testing your Haxchi title should be somewhat obvious but I could definitely see somebody following the steps and not thinking to check.

"- wupclient file transfer failing, due to misc wupserver instabilities (wupclient reports a "0" when the file transfer is successful, this isn't mentioned anywhere here)"

Odd, when I did it python returned a "3" (printed it after the prompt actually). I don't know much about python so since I didn't know what that cryptic s___ meant I pulled the modified system.xml file from the Wii U and compared the MD5 to the file on my PC to ensure it matched. I think that should be in the guide as well. Besides, are the file transfers really that unreliable? I have no idea so I'm just asking.

"If such an installer were to exist and had several checks against bricking, I'd probably have a different attitude towards this, but until then it's not fair to say things like 'don't be a baby, it's simply editing a file. Do you even know how to edit a file?'"

If it were possible to setup coldboothax and brick through no fault of the user I'd probably have a different attitude. I mean I'm not a total d___. I feel bad for the people who have bricked. However, it didn't just magically happen. They failed to ensure that everything was correct prior to reboot so it's their own fault. Also it's not like bricking an $8,000 smart TV. It's a $250 dollar console. Not all that expensive as far as mishaps go. That being said I would have been super mad/sad if I had bricked. That's why I was careful.

"Also tangentially related, but a fw.img shouldn't be required anymore with https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-signature-check-patcher.451138/ (wiiubru link)"

I considered it but it doesn't accomplish what I want. I want no user interaction to be required and I also want the system to always be sigpatched. Simple signature patcher doesn't reload itself upon exiting system settings like CFW does <--- The latest version does now.

I don't mean to beat you up. I just think that people are being a little ridiculous about this. They're making it seem like anything could go wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.

TL;DR
If you brick from setting up coldboothax then I feel bad for you but it's your own fault for not checking everything prior to rebooting. Although I agree that this guide should have a couple of precautions added to it in order to make it more foolproof.

EDIT: I knew your name was familiar. You're the HB Appstore developer man person guy. Thank you for the wonderful homebrew. v1.5 is working great.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is an affirmation, not an opinion.
Anyway, coldboothax is shitty at its current state.

It's both. An affirmation and an opinion aren't mutually exclusive. Anyway report him for whatever. I don't care. I was just pointing out that you were saying he was lying and you cited an opinion as evidence. My opinion is that it is ready for public usage although the guide could use a few precautionary statements. Most seem to be of the opinion that it's super dangerous and has a high chance of bricking your box.

jorgehntx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think thats ready but need one fix more like twice boot, an everything good for me...and is easy instalation but if u do not follow the instruction one by one u will brick u console

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not safe at all.

Like many things, in the hands of the careless, yes. Is driving unsafe because some people are lousy drivers? Are guns unsafe because some morons have shot themselves in the foot? Is crossing the street unsafe because some space cases walk out into traffic distracted by their phone?

Coldboothax is not inherently unsafe. It's safety is determined by the nut behind the keyboard. Install Haxchi to internal storage, ensure that it works, and then replace the default title id in system.xml with that of you Haxchi'd game. Some people were in such a hurry to setup coldboothax that they failed to ensure that Haxchi was installed to internal storage. Besides that, one dude bricked (from the list of known bricks anyway) because he had standby enabled. These bricks are very easy to avoid. They don't happen for no reason. If you go to the paranoid extreme like I did and check the MD5 of the modified system.xml after you pushed it to the Wii U I don't see anyway that you could brick without making a mistake that a simple sanity check would catch. I'm just an end user so if there's something I'm missing please, somebody enlighten me. Much respect to Vgmoose for his knowledge and excellent homebrew app, but I violently disagree with his, and many member's, portrayal of how "dangerous" coldboothax is.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like many things, in the hands of the careless, yes. Is driving unsafe because some people are lousy drivers? Are guns unsafe because some morons have shot themselves in the foot? Is crossing the street unsafe because some space cases walk out into traffic distracted by their phone?

Coldboothax is not inherently unsafe. It's safety is determined by the nut behind the keyboard. Install Haxchi to internal storage, ensure that it works, and then replace the default title id in system.xml with that of you Haxchi'd game. Some people were in such a hurry to setup coldboothax that they failed to ensure that Haxchi was installed to internal storage. Besides that, one dude bricked (from the list of known bricks anyway) because he had standby enabled. These bricks are very easy to avoid. They don't happen for no reason. If you go to the paranoid extreme like I did and check the MD5 of the modified system.xml after you pushed it to the Wii U I don't see anyway that you could brick without making a mistake that a simple sanity check would catch. I'm just an end user so if there's something I'm missing please, somebody enlighten me. Much respect to Vgmoose for his knowledge and excellent homebrew app, but I violently disagree with his, and many member's, portrayal of how "dangerous" coldboothax is.
I think the term better used to describe it isn't "dangerous" but maybe its not "idiot-proof." until someone makes a way to install it automatically, people will keep messing it up more and more. If you know what you're doing tho, its not dangerous at all.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the term better used to describe it isn't "dangerous" but maybe its not "idiot-proof." until someone makes a way to install it automatically, people will keep messing it up more and more. If you know what you're doing tho, its not dangerous at all.

I agree 100% with that statement. I wonder if it could be made totally idiot-proof. The installer would have to be able to verify that Haxchi is installed to the internal storage and configured correctly. Oh well, even if people don't have coldboothax setup they can get a pretty hassle free setup by having a Haxchi title on the Wii U Menu which loads CFW or that sigpatching .elf. If nothing else were to change I'd still be totally happy with my setup as it is.

Reactions: ItsKipz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi