How to set up and use Swiss on the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by person66, May 5, 2011.

May 5, 2011

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    when you start enjoying the game it's almost as if don't hear the buzz anymore [IMG]

the only game i haven't been to run is luigi's mansion (PAL and NTSC, scrubbed and intact isos), but i have some clues on what might be causing that (also tried composite instead of component cable -> no good)
    i have an original copy of that game (PAL version) but it only runs on 576i, and my american wii doesnt always switch to that mode (when launched from the disc channel)
    forcing 576i on swiss still gives me black a screen, whether i'm booting my retail copy from dvd or the backup from the sd gecko

DGenerateKane New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I have the same problem as ramar, swiss is either frozen or not accepting input from the GCN controller (I tried 3). I'm running everything from the SDHC card in the SD Gecko, and tried two different Wii's.
    • Newcomer

gbillzero New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    i have a question..is it possible to save a game with this way or i need to buy a gamecube memory card instead??

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    no, the sd gecko cannot be used as a memory card

buy a gc memory card. i have two brandless 128MB memory cards and they work perfectly
    they're quite cheap on ebay (about 5$)

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    can i use pre-patcher on a shrunk iso/gcm?

zizer New Member

Message Count:
    what about NMM

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    interesting
    i've read the topic (yes, all posts) in fast mode, and the programming achievement is good (GC loading from front SD [IMG] ), although it has small practical interest , as a result of the limited compatibility. and also it isn't compatibly with swiss

just buy a cheap memory card

btw, does anyone got zelda collector's edition to work? i've tested a non patched and a patched version and they both crash after selecting any video or game on the main menu

i've checked some compatibility lists and they both say the game works fine, but i bet they only have tested the game up to the main menu

i only have the scrubbed version here, but i'm going to re-obtain the untouched iso to test

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Message Count:
    Canada
    I could never get it to work right either, despite what the compatibility lists say. Although, I can't say I tried very hard. Maybe it is the region? I have only tried it with the NTSC game.

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    i've already tested the untouched iso and got the same result
    i only use NTSC versions. my console is ntsc-u and cant handle very well pal versions, unless they suport 60Hz or progressive scan

but i'm not that interested in the game, and i wouldn't play it anyway
    i was more interested in take a peak of how good do the nintendo 64 titles look in 480p (i've read that nintendo did a good job)

ATM i'm more into solving the problems i'm having while enabling 480 for some games
    I've found a workaround, but not a solution

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    looks like i was wrong and the problem is "haunting" me, regardless any "tricks" i use. at first it was only happening if i had a memory card with saved data (for that game i was trying to play)

when i enable progressive scan on zelda windwaker the color pallete turns blue-redish. it also happening for mario sunshine and super paper mario, but i dont care about these titles

other games like f-zero gx, chibi-robo and mario kart doubledash works just fine with progressive scan enabled

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    • Newcomer

sarcasmsiempre New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The new version of Swiss removes the need to use a separate application to prepatch ISOs. You might want to take that section out of the tutorial.
    • Newcomer

joschi New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    With this new version everything works well for me (except Killer 7)
    but is it just me or is there a funny scrolling issue when playing some
    gamecube games? When I am playing Zelda CE oder Baten Kaitos the
    scrolling looks "strange". You get the impression that you are sitting
    inside a glass sphere and the scenery around you looks like it is being
    projected on a cylindrical surface...

I am sorry but I can not describe this in a better way... [IMG]

This does NOT apply to ALL games. F-ZERO GX, Mario Kart Double Dash
    and quite some others do not have any problems.

I am using a PAL Wii and the crappy composite video cables that came
    with the Wii.

If someone could confirm those issues or tell me how to get rid of those
    that would be really great! [IMG]

Thanks in advance

Joschi

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Does this work with the new Wii's?

I have a Black Wii that from what I've read, MISO won't work on. Kind of a bummer really.

Message Count:
    Canada
    That is actually mIOS (which can be installed fine), and yes this will work on the black Wiis that cant read burnt discs. So will SNEEK and DML if you don't want to buy a SD Gecko, the only thing that makes the new Wiis different from the old ones is that they can't read burnt discs.

Unless you are talking about the new family addition Wiis with gamecube compatibility completely removed (the ones that dont even have GC controller ports on the top), in which case I guess it wont work, because there is no place to put the SD Gecko, memory card, or controller.

Sc4rFac3d New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the guide. Very straightforward and easy to use

One QQ, can I shrink isos without issues?
    • Newcomer

Dartinho New Member

Message Count:
    Brazil
    Has anyone already played Tales of Symphonia by using Swiss? After the first cutscene in the game right after selecting New Game the game simply goes to a black screen and stays that way. I found it strange 'cuz I saw this video where ToS is being played using Swiss:

The .iso used on the video is a NTSC, mine is NTSC too, so I don't know what could be the problem.

Thanks already.

EDIT: After many tries I just figured out a solution. I was using swiss-0.1-r62 and then realized that Person66 was using another version on his video. Then I tried swiss-0.1-r47 and it worked just fine, so if anyone else has this problem with Tales of Symphonia on Swiss-r62 just try Swiss-r47 and hopefully it'll work!
    • Newcomer

novadragon849 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hello everyone, I decided to jump onto the Swiss bandwagon since my Wii can't play burnt media and I still want to play backed up gamecube games cheaply.

I just bought the SD gecko converter but I'm not sure which SD card I should buy. Is there a preferred brand that works better? Is there a size limit or can I get the 16gb SD cards? Can the Swiss use both SD and SDHC cards?

Which SD cards do you guys use?

Thank you very much

Message Count:
    Canada
    Sorry for the slow reply. I use a 16gb SD card with Swiss and it works fine, so it can handle SDHC fine.

@Dartinho: ToS works fine for me on the latest swiss (r62). Do other games work?
    • Newcomer

r0b0tr0n New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Thank you so much person66! I've just got a cheap gecko labeled "WiiSD Memory Adapter" and I found your guide quite useful :yay:

SPONSORED LINKS