How to set up and use Swiss on the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by person66, May 5, 2011.

May 5, 2011

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Message Count:
    Canada
    I am not at my wii to test anything right now, but I would assume that either the compatibility list is wrong, or you have a bad dump. (you can check that with redump.org)

Gan1664 New Member

Message Count:
    France
    Ok
    I was not reading correctly.
    My Wii video setting was PAL60.
    I have changed it to PAL50 and now it works !!!!
    It is a good dump because the DVD version was working. (I prefer load on a SD to preserve the DVD Drive).

Killer 7 is not in the list and i can't manage to make it work (works on a DVD).

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I just got my Wiikey in the mail and when I select the slot Swiss jumps me back to the 'Select device' screen.
    • Newcomer

Delirious17 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Will there ever be support for Wii component cables for this??

nunavat2010 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    For those who were successful with this: Where did you get the SD GECKO? Dealextreme has one for ~$4 and Amazon.com is selling for $50. Very confused.

Thanks

PS: Just read your post brausm08, thank you.

Tonitonichopchop New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm glad you told me about the component cable issue. I'll probably just get a Wode, but great guide nonetheless.

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Great guide also! I just bought a wiikey SD adapter (SD 2 GC memory adapter). So tomorrow I'm going to try some games off a newer D3-2 wii. (Thanks god I still keep the original wii sports DVD game).

So I´ve read there are some video/sound glitches. Do they occur more often on FAST or COMPATIBLE mode?

thanks

Message Count:
    Canada
    To me, they occur in both, but seem slightly better in fast mode.

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Thanks. I finally acquired the sd wiikey adapter. I could run GC games quite fast thanks to this well detailed tutorial. Good news! I am able to run Mario Kart Double Dash & Super Smash Bros Melee on component modes using a generic wii component cable (480p). You don't have to force 480p in the loader screen, but rather keep it in AUTO, then while game boots, keep B pressed. It'll ask you if you want progressive scan.

On my 52'' LCD TV seems beautiful. However those sound glitches are something, but.. so what! xD. I'll test Super Mario Sunshine to see if I can enable progressive scan (480p)

edit: super mario sunshine has glitches. Upon certain events the game will have no sounds except from videos. (480p)
    • Newcomer

sarcasmsiempre New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've searched around but haven't found anything useful on the subject of fragmented files. Whenever I load an ISO in Swiss, it tells me "File is Fragmented!" and so far I have been unable to get any game to display anything other than a black or green screen with no sound. I've used both component cables and the original cable that came with the Wii, and the games are confirmed to be compatible (Super Smash Bros. Melee is the one I'm most interested in).

So, would defragging the SD card with the ISOs solve the issue?

Message Count:
    Canada
    Hmm, I'm not sure, possibly a bad dump?
    Is the iso shrunken (although it should still work if it is)?
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    I checked the ISO's MD5 hash against the redump.org database and the dump is good. The ISO isn't shrunken.

After some more searching, I found this on the Google Code page for Swiss:
    Code:
    New in svn revision 24:
    - Fragmented files detection (no support for them yet)
    So the fact that the files are fragmented is what's causing the problem. I'll try defragging my SD card when I get the time and report back.

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Yes when that mesage appears when choosing the ISO, it's because indeed the file is fragmented. So you must backup your files from SD card, format it using Panasonic SD formatter, and copy back everything. When the ISO at swiss screen says "file offset xxxxxxxx" it is because the ISO works.

On another matter, Mario Sunshine works great for me using component cables but at 480i. At 480p will cause strange glitches (no sound) and lockups. Smash Bros Melee works wonderful, except on menus due to heavy loads (strange sound glitches happen heavily), and Zelda Wind Waker works fine at 480p at the beginning. I haven´t get any further in this game.
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    Coto's advice worked perfectly! Melee loads and plays without a hitch now. person66, you might want to add a section to the tutorial about what to do if your files become fragmented.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Done, thanks for the tip [IMG]
    • Newcomer

ramar New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Hi everyone, I ran into some problems today while trying to load Swiss...

I followed the guide last week and got everything installed correctly, the problem was that I only had a retail Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and my Wii is very old and just wouldn't load it, so I couldn't run the games (When I go in the game channel it never detects it has a game inside)

I then got a Wii Sports disc, and it detected correctly on the games channel, but when I tried booting my GC games from the SD it would start and freeze at the first screen with every game I tried...
    I figured it was because the drive doesn't work very well, and the few times it reads my games they don't work for too long.

So I searched the web and found some tutorials for cleaning my lens, opened up my wii and succesfully got it together again and in (apparent) fully working condition.
    Ran Brawl, played for a while with no problems for the first time (And with my GC controller).

And then went back to give Swiss another try... But now the problem is different, when i load it, the GC controller doesn't respond and it doesn't let me select the device I'm going to use...

Has any of you encountered similar problems?

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Swiss must be run from a SD gecko / Wiikey SD adapter at least this way works fine to me. I mean the SD to GC Memory Card device (the swiss homebrew & the games must be run from there).

Wii power's swiss launcher will allow you to load swiss GC executable from USB, WII SD? , SD 2 GC memory card adapters. Later you'll need a legit Wii game/GC game (I use wii sports) inside the disc drive like you said before.

Here's what I do, I put everything: a backup game (I own), swiss, swiss launcher off the SD card which will be used by the sd gecko. Then once I'm at HBC, choose SD slotB memcard, and run wiipower swiss booter. It should now load swiss from the SD gecko slot. Later I put the wii sports disc inside the Wii, choose the SD slotB, set to FAST, and run the desired backup.

roubagalinhas New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    do you also have audio issues? are they normal?
    when i say audio issues i mean specifically an annoying buzz that occurs whenever the game loads something from the drive (or at least that's what it looks)

tried different sd/sdhc cards and different settings in swiss and the problem persists
    also i have all my isos scrubbed, but i tested some untouched and got the same result.

apart from that everything is perfect, and emu_kidid has done an awesome job
    person66, nice tutorial, the best i've found so far [IMG]

Message Count:
    Canada
    Yes, I have some audio issues as well, I think that we will just have to live with it, unless emu_kidid releases an update that will fix it.