How to set up and use Swiss on the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by person66, May 5, 2011.

May 5, 2011

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Message Count:
    Canada
    Setting up Swiss on the Nintendo Wii

This is a (hopefully) fairly simple tutorial on how to set up Swiss - The swiss army knife of GameCube homebrew. This tutorial assumes you have already modded your wii and have the homebrew channel and a cIOS installed. If you have not, I would recommend using the great windows application: ModMii
    If you do not have access to a Windows computer, and ModMii is not an option, then another great tutorial is the Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below guide

I don't take credit for any of the apps used this tutorial.
    Swiss is by emu_kidid
    the cMIOS installer is by WiiGator.
    Swiss booter is by Wiipower.
    Credit for any other things in this tutorial go to their authors.

Table of Contents
    • Stage 1 - Getting the required files
      • cMIOS
      • Swiss Booter
      • Swiss
    • Stage 2 - Setting up your SD card
      • Copying the files
      • Copying your games
      • cMIOS installation without internet
    • Stage 3 - Setting up your Wii
      • Installing the cMIOS
      • Starting up Swiss
    • Stage 4 - Using Swiss
    • Other Stuff & Troubleshooting
      • Patching with Pre-Patcher
      • Getting problem games to work
      • Using Multi-Disc games with Swiss
      • Using Cheats with Swiss
      • Using/Editing Custom Swiss Cheats
      • Dumping and/or Shrinking Your Games
      • Swiss booter doesn't start Swiss!?
      • The cMIOS installer gives an error when I try to install it
      • My files are fragmented!?
      • Swiss channels and extras
    • Video version of this tutorial

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Stage 1 - Getting the required files

First you are going to need to get all of the files required for swiss to work. I will not make an all-in one package, because things are always getting updated.

cMIOS
    The first thing you will need is to install a cMIOS (unless you already have one installed on your wii. If you are not sure, it doesn't hurt to re-install one)
    You can download the cMIOS (this one is based off MIOS v10) here: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/downloads/cMIOSWiiGator0.2.zip?attredirects=0

Swiss Booter
    You will also need the latest version of WiiPower's Swiss booter, which you can get from this thread: http://gbatemp.net/t...ii-swiss-booter

Swiss
    And last but not least you will need the actual Swiss application, Which can be downloaded from here: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
    You will need the latest swiss version, so make sure you get that.
    If you plan on using cheats, then you will also need the cheat editor.

Stage 2 - Setting up your SD card

Now you have to put all the files on your SD card. I am going to assume that you are using just one SD card.
    Also, if your wii is not connected to the internet, and you are planning on installing the cMIOS, then you will need to follow the spoiler at the end of this section.

Copying the files
    1] Start by opening up the WSB0.3.zip archive. Inside, there should be a folder called apps, and another called sourcecode. All you need is the apps folder. Just copy it to the root of your SD card.
    2] Now open up the cMIOSWiiGator0.2.zip archive. Inside you should find a readme, a folder called sourcecode and a folder called cMIOSWiiGator. All we need is the cMIOSWiiGator folder. Just copy it to the apps directory on your SD card.
    3] Next you will need to copy over the swiss application. Inside the swiss archive, you should find swiss-lz.dol and a readme. Just copy the swiss-lz.dol to either the root of your SD card, or to "SD:/apps/Swiss/". In either case, you must rename it to "swiss.dol"

Your SD card should now look something like this (although you probably won't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad):
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    (Click for larger pics)

Copying your games
    Now you have to copy your gamecube iso(s) over to your SD card or IDE hard drive. You can put it anywhere on the device, just make sure you know where it is.

cMIOS installation without internet

Stage 3 - Setting up your Wii

Now you are ready to move on to the Wii. Put your SD card in the front SD slot of the Wii and start up the homebrew channel. You should have these two apps:
    [IMG]

Installing the cMIOS
    Again, if you already have a cMIOS, this step is optional, although it won't hurt your Wii to reinstall it.

So, start up the "Installer for WiiGator's cMIOS":
    [IMG]

You should get to a screen which asks which IOS to use for installation. Choose your cIOS (usually 249), and then Hit "A". After that, don't push anything until asks you to press 1 or start.
    [IMG] [IMG]

So, then push 1 (or start if using a GameCube controller), and then choose MIOS menu, which should bring you to a screen like this:
    [IMG]

At that screen, you don't need to change anything, so just choose to "Install patched MIOS v10"

Now when it asks you where to load it from, choose to "Download MIOS from NUS" if your Wii is connected to the internet.
    If your wii is not connected to the internet, and you followed the offline steps back in Stage 2, then choose to "Load MIOS from sd card"

After that, it will prepare, and then ask you to push A to install the MIOS. So go ahead and push A.

Once it is all done, it should look something like this:
    [IMG]

You can now push any button to exit the installer.

Starting up Swiss
    Alright, this is the easy part. You should now be back in the homebrew channel.

If this is your only SD card, and it is the one you have your GameCube games on, then remove the SD card from the front SD slot, and put it in to your SD gecko, which in turn goes in to the GameCube memory slot B. Now hit "1" while on the homebrew channel and switch the device to "SD Gecko Slot B" (if it hasn't automatically done it already)

If you are using a separate SD card for your SD Gecko, or an IDE-EXI adapter, then you can insert that now in to the GameCube memory slot B.

Now go ahead and start up Wii Swiss Booter:
    [IMG]

If you come to a screen that looks like the one below, then you have done everything right so far. If not, then go back and review, or check the troubleshooting section at the end of the guide.
    [IMG]

Stage 4 - Using Swiss

While using Swiss, remember that you won't be able to use a Wii remote, and instead will have to use a GameCube controller. You also need to have a retail Wii or GameCube game in the disk drive.

To start off, you will have to choose what device you are using with the D-pad.
    After that you will be presented with a screen asking what speed you want to use. Fast or Compatible. Start with compatible and if your game works fine, then you can try fast.
    Now it will ask what slot to load from. Choose whatever slot your device is in.

Once your done all that, you should be taken to a screen that looks like this:
    [IMG]

From there navigate to the game you want to play using the D-pad, then select it using "A". Then push "A" again to continue, and then let the next part load and then push "A" a third time:
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Now let the DVD initialize, and then it should ask you if you want to stop the DVD motor. First choose "No", and if your game works fine, then next time try "Yes"

If your lucky, Your game should now start up:
    [IMG]

Other Stuff & Troubleshooting

Patching with Pre-Patcher
    Pre-Patcher is now integrated in to Swiss, and will automatically patch any games which need it.

Getting problem games to work

Using Multi-Disc games with Swiss

Using Cheats with Swiss

Using/Editing Custom Swiss Cheats

Dumping and/or Shrinking Your Games

Swiss booter doesn't start Swiss!?

The cMIOS installer gives an error when I try to install it

My files are fragmented!?

Swiss channels and extras

Video version of this tutorial

Well, that is the end of my tutorial. If you have comments or questions, please leave a reply. Feel free to point out any mistakes, this is my first tutorial, so I'm sure there are some somewhere. :yaywii:
    Last edited by person66, Nov 2, 2012

• Newcomer

Morien New Member

Message Count:
    Good work! Thanks for this.
    • Banned

MakiManPR Banned!

Message Count:
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks! this should be sticky

btw tried Kirby Air Ride in Fast mode with Component cables but got a black screen

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    I really appreciate this tutorial! This should be among the best around GBATemp.

Thanks

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Great work, this should eliminate some noobish questions.
    • Newcomer

Gangboy New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Excellent guide, was really waiting for someone to make one [IMG]

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Always read about 'Swiss' - never really thought about it because wasn't sure on how to set it up etc, so this seems like a good guide to follow (I'm already softmodded using ModMii BTW) - just got to decide on SD Gecko or IDE-EXi route...

Quick question - as we're gonna use this to run our Gamecube backups - (roughly) how many games can you fit onto a SD card - it's pointless if we can only fit 2-3 games per card (I think I remember reading a GC game is ~ 1.4Gb - is that right ??)

Perhaps in your 'Shrinking' guide you could mention something like
    "Without shrinking - each GC game will take about x.xx Gb of space on your SD card - meaning a typical 8Gb card would only be able to store yy games.
    Depending on how successful the shrinking process is you may be able to 'shrink' each game by up to zz%
    (although typically it's around yy%)"
    • Newcomer

Gangboy New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    The capacity of the GC disc is 1.5 GB, but there is a way to shrink your iso's. The tool is called GCMUtility 0.5. With this you can shrink them, still depending on the game how much can be shrunken, but it will save you some space on your SD or IDE-EXI (which atm is sold out).

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Ah so I was nearly right - this means then that the MINIMUM number of GC ROM you could store on a 16Gb SDHC card would be ~10 then....Not a lot then (could explain why the IDE-EXI is sold out [IMG] )

Still since I only have ~12 GC original games - that's not too much of a problem (especially if I manage to 'shrink' them down a bit.. )
    • Newcomer

Gangboy New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Indeed it should be around 10/15 games (shrunken). Else these days the cheap (low class, slower reads) 32GB/64GB SD cards go for around $30 these days on eBay. I'm going to test it with a 16GB first and will see. For now it's enough. [IMG]

syrusch New Member

Message Count:
    Switzerland
    Hi,

i can't boot Phantasy Star Online 1&2. Is this game compatible ?

Message Count:
    Canada
    Not sure, they arent on the temporary compatibility list
    EDIT: I obviously fail at finding things in lists
    What happens when you start them?

Also, thank you everyone for all the positive feedback. I am just going to add a few more things this week, and then I should be able to take off the work in progress message at the beginning.
    • Newcomer

Gangboy New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Checked the list and you need to pre-patch the iso (make a backup, so you keep a clean iso just in case).
    "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II - working - Cutscenes suffer a little. Ingame very good. (use pre-patcher)"

mvgc3 New Member

Message Count:
    United States

I used pre-patcher and it still didn't work. All I get is a black screen. I think I have the "Plus" version, would that make a difference? Do you know if there's anything else I'm missing? I've been wanting to play PSO again for years now, selling it was such a big mistake!

I'm gonna keep trying, and if I figure out what went wrong I'll come back and share!

Message Count:
    Canada
    Quick update, I added multi-disc games, and also a link to the compatibility list, and removed the work in progress banner.

I also had to remove the achor tags (due to this) so the table of contents no longer links to the locations in the tutorial [IMG]

mvgc3 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    For anyone wondering, I finally got PSO working. I must have had a bad copy or something.

I got a new rip (Cracker release, if it's important. Just Google for it, I got the same one from two different sites) used the pre-patcher, and it started right up.

Like the compatibility states, it acts a little funny while loading, but once you get control its perfectly playable!

I don't think the one I got was Plus, so I'm going to find a copy of that and give it a go tomorrow. I'm interested to see some of the hunter quests I missed out on.

brausm08 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    liked the tutorial...it got Swiss up and running for me.

question though: are the few audio glitches and even fewer video glitches something we have to live with or is there an easy fix i am overlooking....glitchiness occurs more so on compatibility mode, but it also occurs on fast mode. for the most part, games are playable....it's more of a minor annoyance.

my setup:
    cMIOS: Wiipower/WiiGator v10 (i grabbed mine from Modmii though)
    SD Cards: 5 different 8GB cards and one 2GB card
    Swiss r47
    Swiss Booter v3
    SD Gecko: generic one as seen here (yes, the price was right). are others "built" better?
    everything else: see sig...(yeah, i have a non-D3-2 drive...i'm just trying out Swiss for those less fortunate friends of mine).

all backups were shrunk and pre-patched...

Gan1664 New Member

Message Count:
    France
    Hello

I've managed to make it work with a Wiikey SD Adapter.

There are some games that should work as said in the compatibility list and don't:

there is something strange with Worms 3D: i have sound but no picture.

I use Booter 0.3, Swiss r47, PAL Wii, Wiigator cMIOS.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Are you using component cables? There is an issue with Swiss and component cables. I had problems with a lot of games that I tried unless I used the original cables (red, white, and yellow ones)
    ^Updated tutorial about that issue^

Gan1664 New Member

Message Count:
    France
    Yes i use the original grey cables (yellow, red, white), i try all video mode and obtain green screen or black screen with music.