Hacking How to sell an 6.2 exploit to Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wololo.net broke down all the costs in the 3DS flashcard business here. It's big business and it's been speculated that Gateway team profits are in the millions! I would definitely go to them for an offer.
Very interesting read. Though wololo is estimating that the firmware requirement (on top of a card that costs as much as 10 times more than a cheap NDS flashcard) brings down the consumer count by 1/5 only. Nah, that's one absurd estimate. The vast majority of people just come across flashcards and buy them on a whim if all conditions are already met, but they won't replace the system/get a specific system for it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Alternatively, OP could try to sell the exploit to Nintendo, extorting it for cash...

YAlYTbn.jpg

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the op joined yesterday and has a 2 post count AND HAS SHOWN ZERO PROOF I am going to call bs. Anyone who knew what they were going would know video proof would be an absolute must and would have included one in the first place.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
posting video proof in the OP would greatly increase the chances of gateway people browsing the forum to contact you. unfortunately due to the nature of this BTC is likely the only way you might make anything.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Considering the op joined yesterday and has a 2 post count AND HAS SHOWN ZERO PROOF I am going to call bs. Anyone who knew what they were going would know video proof would be an absolute must and would have included one in the first place.

Not to mention, they usually have a regularly-visited GBATemp account, since this IS a console hacking community...

Reactions: emo kid 68

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but most of you need to learn to read properly.

I am looking for advice how to handle this best: getting the money and staying anonymous. I don't need any more problems.

I do not claim Gateway works with the chinese mafia, I said I read it very often on these forums. If they don't and that is bullshit that is great. I just don't want to contact them using my real identity. I am very uncomfortable with that.

Of course I use a freshly registered account (=only 1 post) for this, everything else would be stupid.

I also do not want to use some magical cryptocurrency but a trustworthy service.

Of course I will proof to Gateway or another interested party that my findings are legit. it works. I am using it.

I guess very much that my exploit will be useful for Gateway since I can combine it with the others bits Gateway developed and run backup games on my 6.2 console.

I also do not understand where some of you got the idea that I want money from the users. This is not crowdfunding. Your money is safe.

Thank you very much for all serious answers yet.

UraKn0x: Replace "find me" with "sue me". It's the same unpleasant thing.

Foxi4: Thanks, but I am quite able to find the contacts page on the official Gateway site.
I just need advice how to be smart about handling the business/negotiations since I do not know anything about stuff like that. I only know and feel comfortable with technical stuff. Also I am not very good with people, as you can see what load of negative responses my thread collected.

If this isn't bullshit (and it is quite surely). Just contact team gateway over e-mail and maybe add an proof of concept. Team gateway most likely isn't even Chinese. Their site is registered in Australia, if you take a look at the the 3ds in their videos the 3ds profile says Australia and if you take a brief look at the Face Raiders game of them, you see that the faces there don't look asian. Just write to them. They are probably concerned about their identity just like you.

needcash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I provided the mail adress for people who don't want to communicate over a public gaming community, in which the administrators technically are able to read private messages. No offense intended @adminteam.

Thank you for the attention this forum provided me. I got many mails, unfortunately most of them whining for proof in form of screenshots or videos. I see that fans of the scene are very interested in that, but sorry, you are not in my primary focus. I just asked for tips for communicating, because there are many smart people here. Some people tried to send me malware though. I don't see what you would want accomplish with that.

I can provide screenshots or videos as proof, but I think that will only attract people that claim the screenshots were photoshopped and the videos edited, cutted and whatever. This happened even for Gateway each time they announced something new.

This is a modified Gateway 1.0 launcher. There is not much to see anyway. No emunand, means no modified firmware version string, no multi rom menu, just a MicroSD card which a image was written to, then inserted into the Gateway cartridge, which gets inserted into the 3ds and plays the game like it is a legit one. The only difference is it works with 6.2 instead of 4.x.

The only real proof I am able to provide is the modified launcher file. Once that is out in the open I am out of luck. I can provide a alternative launcher which extracts information, which if it is sent to me, allows me to create a custom launcher for just the 3ds in question. It only works with this device then. But I don't think I can obfuscate it enough that people can't extract my exploit from that. I am not very good with that, that is why I have to use the Gateway 1.0 launcher instead of more recent versions.

I don't think giving Gateway the exploit and threating them to release it for free if they don't fulfill their terms would work for me. Gateway would have the exploit, the public would have the exploit, I would have nothing.

Anyway, I was contacted by one other party than Gateway, which seems very promising. So not everything turns out bad. They will instruct me to a way to handle this, I plan to post it here though to see if someone's red warning lights go off if they plan to cheat me.

Jao Chu: Thank you very much for the Wololo link. This helps me immensely with estimating the worth of this. This is the kind of information I was looking for in here.

Reactions: gamefan5

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I provided the mail adress for people who don't want to communicate over a public gaming community, in which the administrators technically are able to read private messages. No offense intended @adminteam.

Thank you for the attention this forum provided me. I got many mails, unfortunately most of them whining for proof in form of screenshots or videos. I see that fans of the scene are very interested in that, but sorry, you are not in my primary focus. I just asked for tips for communicating, because there are many smart people here. Some people tried to send me malware though. I don't see what you would want accomplish with that.

I can provide screenshots or videos as proof, but I think that will only attract people that claim the screenshots were photoshopped and the videos edited, cutted and whatever. This happened even for Gateway each time they announced something new.

This is a modified Gateway 1.0 launcher. There is not much to see anyway. No emunand, means no modified firmware version string, no multi rom menu, just a MicroSD card which a image was written to, then inserted into the Gateway cartridge, which gets inserted into the 3ds and plays the game like it is a legit one. The only difference is it works with 6.2 instead of 4.x.

The only real proof I am able to provide is the modified launcher file. Once that is out in the open I am out of luck. I can provide a alternative launcher which extracts information, which if it is sent to me, allows me to create a custom launcher for just the 3ds in question. It only works with this device then. But I don't think I can obfuscate it enough that people can't extract my exploit from that. I am not very good with that, that is why I have to use the Gateway 1.0 launcher instead of more recent versions.

I don't think giving Gateway the exploit and threating them to release it for free if they don't fulfill their terms would work for me. Gateway would have the exploit, the public would have the exploit, I would have nothing.

Anyway, I was contacted by one other party than Gateway, which seems very promising. So not everything turns out bad. They will instruct me to a way to handle this, I plan to post it here though to see if someone's red warning lights go off if they plan to cheat me.

Jao Chu: Thank you very much for the Wololo link. This helps me immensely with estimating the worth of this. This is the kind of information I was looking for in here.

Look at the bold section for me. Now all those nay-sayers look like assholes. It's not tough. If anything, release a screenie or a video of it in action. Videos cannot be faked as easily. If that's why you're not taking two minutes out of your day to do this, then you're obviously lying.

Not trying to sound rude, but yeah.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
Just for the heck of it:
Since you know the code of the gw 1.0 launcher, what value does the arm9 wait for the arm11 to write before continuing at the beginning of the code that runs at 0x080F0000?

Should not be any problems answering and will prove that you at least have some knowledge in all this.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the heck of it:
Since you know the code of the gw 1.0 launcher, what value does the arm9 wait for the arm11 to write before continuing at the beginning of the code that runs at 0x080F0000?

Should not be any problems answering and will prove that you at least have some knowledge in all this.

NO. You're supposed to post a question, using made-up elements, and try and see if he answers with sincerity or an excuse :P

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the bold section for me. Now all those nay-sayers look like assholes. It's not tough. If anything, release a screenie or a video of it in action. Videos cannot be faked as easily. If that's why you're not taking two minutes out of your day to do this, then you're obviously lying.

Not trying to sound rude, but yeah.

of course he's lying, he refusing to post a simple video.

D

Deleted User

Is the other party MT card or R4i team? Whatever the case, once the exploit gets released it will get copied by everyone and in the end whoever paid for it will not have many of the benefits.

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyway, besides what I said for joke yesterday, I don't think there's a way to keep your exploit safe (ie to make sure they pay properly, and to keep a fee) while being anonymous. You would not be able to claim the exploit is yours if you are anonymous.

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
LinkmstrYT Gateway team is very good at Reverse-Engineering so they could RE his exploit source, so that would be pretty much useless. I (obviously) hope this exploit is true, and if it is the case I hope OP would find a fair way to sell his exploit to GW; however I doubt they'll buy it...

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
needcash

Well, I'll be one of the members of the community that wishes u good luck in this. I'm no help in knowing how to sell an exploit but at least I hope this post helps.
Whether it is real or not, I don't really care. However, I am glad that you found at least help on this site, despite the 95% of the posts not answering a simple question and asking about whether it is true or not (or even flat out insult you, Stay classy GBAtemp)

So if something interesting does come out of this, I'll be at least one of the members to remember you for it. XD

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)