How to run GBA games on your DS

How to run GBA games on your DS

Slot-1 Flashcarts

There are four flashcarts that can emulate GBA games without the need for a slot-2 cart.
  • Supercard DSTWO
  • EX4i
  • iPlayer
  • iSmart MM
  • CycloDSi Evolution (only works on a DSi and is extremely limited)
  • Insert the microSD card from the DSTWO into the computer
  • Download v1.21 of NDSGBA and move it to your microSD card (an older version, so don't update it). After that, download game_config.txt and move that to your microSD card's NDSGBA folder.
  • After doing so, obtain a GBA game (either by dumping it yourself or downlading one online) to verify that the emulator is working correctly. Once you have obtained the game, move the file to the root of the microSD card.
  • Insert the microSD card into the DSTWO and then insert the DSTWO inside a DS system. Select 'GBA emulator' on the DSTWO menu.
  • Select 'New' and you should find a list of GBA games. Select the game and it should start.
  • Insert the microSD card from the EX4i into the computer.
  • Download the firmware from here. Once it is downloaded, extract it using a program such as WinRAR and drag and drop the files into the root of the microSD card.
  • After doing so, obtain a GBA game (either by dumping it yourself or downlading one online) to verify that the emulator is working correctly. Once you have obtained the game, move the file to the root of the microSD card.
  • Insert the microSD card into the EX4i and then insert the EX4i inside a DS system.
  • Select the DS icon (two rectangles on top of each other) and then select 'GAMES'. Once you have done that, select a GBA game file and run it.
  • Insert the microSD card from the iPlayer into the computer.
  • Download the iPlayer GBA emulator from here.
  • Copy the "plugins" folder into /_system/ in the microSD card.
  • Once you have done that, insert the microSD card into the iPlayer and then insert the iPlayer inside a DS system.
  • Select 'Homebrew' from the iPlayer menu and then select a GBA game file.
  • Insert the microSD card from the iSmart MM into the computer.
  • Insert the microSD card into the iSmart MM and then insert the iSmart MM inside a DS system.
  • On the main menu, select 'GBA emulator'. After that, select the game and it should start up.

Slot-2 Flashcarts

You can also run GBA games using the below slot-2 flashcart. Do note that flashcarts of this type will only work in a DS Phat or DS Lite system. Flashcarts of this type will provide you with perfect GBA game compatibility.
  • EZ Flash 3-in-1
  • EZ-Flash IV
  • Insert a microSD card into your computer from your respective flashcart.
  • Create "/GBA_SAVE" and "/GBA_SIGN" folders on the root of your MicroSD card. (Modify "GBA_ExpLoader.ini" to set different folders)
  • Copy GBA files into "/GBA_SIGN".
  • Put SAV files into "/GBA_SAVE".
  • To run the game, browse to the GBA file and press A to launch it. (If the game is too big to launch in PSRAM, press R to switch to NOR, then press A to launch it.)
  • Move both files to the miniSD from the EZ-Flash IV
  • Get a DS flashcart and insert the microSD card from it into the computer
  • Download the appropriate firmware and move it into the microSD
  • Insert the microSD into the flashcart
  • Insert both the EZ-Flash IV and your DS flashcart into Slot 2 and Slot 1 respectively
  • Launch the Slot-2 icon when you boot into the flashcard's menu and select the GBA game

ichichfly's GBA emulator

This method requires the use of a GBA emulator created by ichichfly.
  • Download and then unpack the latest version of the emulator (link) to the root of your microSD.
  • Move your GBA roms and homebrew to your flashcart. Note that the file extension must be .agb, .bin or .mb (.gba does not work)
  • Launch your GBA roms/games like you would launch DS games.

Reactions: Margen67

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In fact, I would have to recommend his emulator over a slot2 cart if you're gonna be playing only a few GBA games.
N-no... :D Native Support > Emulation, forever and always. ;) Not to mention that a Slot-2 cart gives you other benefits as well.

I have only Acekard 2i, my ds don't have slot-2, it's DSi-XL.
Well then your only option is ichichfly's emulator - follow the instructions, ;)

I'm followed but didn't work :(, anyway thanks for help.

Kaoid

Kai
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fact, I would have to recommend his emulator over a slot2 cart if you're gonna be playing only a few GBA games.
N-no... :D Native Support > Emulation, forever and always. ;) Not to mention that a Slot-2 cart gives you other benefits as well.

I have only Acekard 2i, my ds don't have slot-2, it's DSi-XL.
Well then your only option is ichichfly's emulator - follow the instructions, ;)

I'm followed but didn't work :(, anyway thanks for help.

dude try copying hbmenu.nds and ichflyr4igbaemu to the root of your card. launch hbmenu.nds, select a rom and keep pressing A and select newirq or newirqsound (depends if you want sound) and it should work. to save, save in game then pressY. the next time you launch the emu and load a game, it should auto detect the save. hope that helps. tell that to anyone who needs help with the emu :)

oateo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have a NDSL and R4i Gold and want to be able to play GBA homebrew/patched roms (Pokemon hacks like Liquid Crystal, to be specific). Would the slot-2 carts (EZ Flash) be the best choice for this? I've found a couple of places to get the 3-in-1, but can't seem to find the IV for sale from a US-based site.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have a NDSL and R4i Gold and want to be able to play GBA homebrew/patched roms (Pokemon hacks like Liquid Crystal, to be specific). Would the slot-2 carts (EZ Flash) be the best choice for this? I've found a couple of places to get the 3-in-1, but can't seem to find the IV for sale from a US-based site.

I would highly recommend the EZ Flash 3in1 for your combo of DS Lite and R4i Gold because it's what I also have as well. You can run the GBA games straight from the micro SD card but the loading takes a while. Compatibility is pretty high but sadly I never used it to test it for Pokemon hack games. EZ-Flash IV is another decent GBA card but the loading just takes forever. One to load the GBA game and when you turn the handheld off and turn it back on again to select another game, the EZ-Flash IV goes through ANOTHER loading just so that it can write the save.

Reactions: oateo

oateo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I guess I'll go for the 3-in-1 then. Is homebrew/hacked roms something that people use the EZ Flash for, or am I just chasing an impossible dream? (I don't know much at all about different flashcarts/emulators, and it seems like most people run the hacked Pokemon games on emulators on the pc..)

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help! I guess I'll go for the 3-in-1 then. Is homebrew/hacked roms something that people use the EZ Flash for, or am I just chasing an impossible dream? (I don't know much at all about different flashcarts/emulators, and it seems like most people run the hacked Pokemon games on emulators on the pc..)

If you're still super unsure, I grabbed the IPS patch for Liquid Crystal and here it is running on my 3-in-1:

pkSEKKS.jpg

As for why everyone uses the emulator to run Pokemon hacks? It's much easier and it's free but if you want to carry this game with you wherever you go then the EZFlash 3in1 and R4i card combo is great.

Reactions: oateo

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hey in the first post soulXsaid you can also use the Cyclo DSi eveolution on a DSi but doesnt say how... i own both but my Cyclo doesnt show the gba files i put on the SD (cyclo fm 2.2)

can someone help me out?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: