How to run GBA games on your DS

How to run GBA games on your DS

Slot-1 Flashcarts

There are four flashcarts that can emulate GBA games without the need for a slot-2 cart.
  • Supercard DSTWO
  • EX4i
  • iPlayer
  • iSmart MM
  • CycloDSi Evolution (only works on a DSi and is extremely limited)
  • Insert the microSD card from the DSTWO into the computer
  • Download v1.21 of NDSGBA and move it to your microSD card (an older version, so don't update it). After that, download game_config.txt and move that to your microSD card's NDSGBA folder.
  • After doing so, obtain a GBA game (either by dumping it yourself or downlading one online) to verify that the emulator is working correctly. Once you have obtained the game, move the file to the root of the microSD card.
  • Insert the microSD card into the DSTWO and then insert the DSTWO inside a DS system. Select 'GBA emulator' on the DSTWO menu.
  • Select 'New' and you should find a list of GBA games. Select the game and it should start.
  • Insert the microSD card from the EX4i into the computer.
  • Download the firmware from here. Once it is downloaded, extract it using a program such as WinRAR and drag and drop the files into the root of the microSD card.
  • After doing so, obtain a GBA game (either by dumping it yourself or downlading one online) to verify that the emulator is working correctly. Once you have obtained the game, move the file to the root of the microSD card.
  • Insert the microSD card into the EX4i and then insert the EX4i inside a DS system.
  • Select the DS icon (two rectangles on top of each other) and then select 'GAMES'. Once you have done that, select a GBA game file and run it.
  • Insert the microSD card from the iPlayer into the computer.
  • Download the iPlayer GBA emulator from here.
  • Copy the "plugins" folder into /_system/ in the microSD card.
  • Once you have done that, insert the microSD card into the iPlayer and then insert the iPlayer inside a DS system.
  • Select 'Homebrew' from the iPlayer menu and then select a GBA game file.
  • Insert the microSD card from the iSmart MM into the computer.
  • Insert the microSD card into the iSmart MM and then insert the iSmart MM inside a DS system.
  • On the main menu, select 'GBA emulator'. After that, select the game and it should start up.

Slot-2 Flashcarts

You can also run GBA games using the below slot-2 flashcart. Do note that flashcarts of this type will only work in a DS Phat or DS Lite system. Flashcarts of this type will provide you with perfect GBA game compatibility.
  • EZ Flash 3-in-1
  • EZ-Flash IV
  • Insert a microSD card into your computer from your respective flashcart.
  • Create "/GBA_SAVE" and "/GBA_SIGN" folders on the root of your MicroSD card. (Modify "GBA_ExpLoader.ini" to set different folders)
  • Copy GBA files into "/GBA_SIGN".
  • Put SAV files into "/GBA_SAVE".
  • To run the game, browse to the GBA file and press A to launch it. (If the game is too big to launch in PSRAM, press R to switch to NOR, then press A to launch it.)
  • Move both files to the miniSD from the EZ-Flash IV
  • Get a DS flashcart and insert the microSD card from it into the computer
  • Download the appropriate firmware and move it into the microSD
  • Insert the microSD into the flashcart
  • Insert both the EZ-Flash IV and your DS flashcart into Slot 2 and Slot 1 respectively
  • Launch the Slot-2 icon when you boot into the flashcard's menu and select the GBA game

ichichfly's GBA emulator

This method requires the use of a GBA emulator created by ichichfly.
  • Download and then unpack the latest version of the emulator (link) to the root of your microSD.
  • Move your GBA roms and homebrew to your flashcart. Note that the file extension must be .agb, .bin or .mb (.gba does not work)
  • Launch your GBA roms/games like you would launch DS games.

Reactions: Margen67

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the dstwo spoiler:

• Download v1.21 of NDSGBA and extract it to your microsd card (an older version, so don't update it)
  • Download game_config.txt and put that txt file in your microsd's NDSGBA folder.

for the ez flash 3-in-1:

just call it the EZ Flash 3-in-1, it works with every slot 1 flashcart (rename the spoiler to '... using the EZ Flash 3-in-1' too)

replace the "third party loader" with ExpLoader and the link with this

also, stop being a lazy ass
QUOTE said:
Follow the instructions that pertain to your flashcart (look it up) and run the GBA games using the expansion pack.

Edit: also mention that using the 3-in-1 will give you perfect compatibility while the slot-1 flashcarts wont

and the dstwo emulator has a real time clock 4 pokemon and etc. while the ez flash 3-in-1 does not (so you have to get it patched)
I don't think the other emulators have a real time clock either

Inazuma Eleven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You can also use the EZiV (not to be confused with the EZ Vi)

1.Download the EZclient
2.Get a GBA game online
3.Copy it in the Mini SD ( not to be confused with Micro SD) used for the EZiV
3.Get a DS flashcart
4.Download the firmware and drag it into the Micro SD
5.Put the Micro SD into the flashcart
6.Put both the EZiV and DS flashcart into Slot 2 and Slot 1 respectively
7.Launch the Slot-2 icon when you boot into the flashcard's menu
8.Bingo!/Voila! the EZiV firmwqare boots up next... GET PLAYIN'!

P.S. If you are using an EZ Flash 3in1, use GBAExploader to launch games... It's Good

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Updated the guide with all of your suggestions.

I am unsure with the alternative method section, though. Can someone check it and verify that it is correct?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the gba emulator homebrew (the "alternative method") is pretty terrible, you could mention that to not get people's hopes up

you still have a formatting error in the "Running GBA games using the EZ Flash 3-in-1" spoiler, you need another line break

also consider rewriting the "Running GBA games using the DSTWO" spoiler, you tell people to extract the files twice

and again that thing about the "third party loader", make it exploader

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Follow the instructions that pertain to your flashcart (look it up) and run the GBA games using the expansion pack.
every flashcart is using the same ExpLoader, the only difference is the way each cart launches their homebrew, to set up ExpLoader it should be

• Extract GBA_ExpLoader.ini to the root of your MicroSD card.
  • Create "/GBA_SAVE" and "/GBA_SIGN" folders on the root of your MicroSD card. (Modify "GBA_ExpLoader.ini" to set different folders)
  • Copy GBA files into "/GBA_SIGN".
  • Put SAV files into "/GBA_SAVE".

to operate it, just browse to your GBA file and press A to launch it

if a game is too big to launch in PSRAM, press R to switch to NOR, then press A to launch it

darkinertia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so ive been searching for hours now and i cant seem to find it, but i had a program that converted gba games into a nds rom and i was able to play it on my r4 wood...but everything that ive looked up tells me otherwise. i even have the rom to prove that ive done it, it works fine too, no framerate issues or anything...then again most of the post that i see that say its not possible are back in 08

does anyone know where i can get this program again? or am i going crazy and i secretly discovered a way of magically converting gba roms into nds?

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
darkinertia said:
ok so ive been searching for hours now and i cant seem to find it, but i had a program that converted gba games into a nds rom and i was able to play it on my r4 wood...but everything that ive looked up tells me otherwise. i even have the rom to prove that ive done it, it works fine too, no framerate issues or anything...then again most of the post that i see that say its not possible are back in 08

does anyone know where i can get this program again? or am i going crazy and i secretly discovered a way of magically converting gba roms into nds?

I've found a thing called "dsbuild.exe" . Is this?

darkinertia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just looked that up and no that one actually goes the other way around it looks like...the thing i used actually converted a gba rom into a nds rom (wish i could post the rom file to show you :/ )

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
darkinertia said:
i just looked that up and no that one actually goes the other way around it looks like...the thing i used actually converted a gba rom into a nds rom (wish i could post the rom file to show you :/ )
then you do not remember the name of the program?

darkinertia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no thats what im trying to do right now...i believe i got it on filetrip tho cuz i recognize it(i havent been using my ds for a while now, ive been using my psp) but i recently got back into mega man so i need to get the gba roms for mega man since it works sooo much better on the ds than the psp...ill post back once i find it again, IF i do

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well darkinertia, when you find it, let me know. I would love to use whatever you're using. I want to play some of these GBA roms I have.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are using an Acekard with an EZFlash IV you can load games from the Acekard's microsd into the carts NOR ram directly from within AKAIO. AKAIO will also automatically backup/restore the gba saves to the Acekard's microsd.

Worth noting that if you do this method it kind of messes with the ezflash, it won't boot directly into gba mode until you restore some stuff, but I find it more convenient to just boot my Acekard and flash from there anyways so I don't really miss the functionality, I guess if you really wanted to store GBA games on the EZFlash's sd card exclusively then this wouldn't be for you though.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ziko said:
Well darkinertia, when you find it, let me know. I would love to use whatever you're using. I want to play some of these GBA roms I have.
whatever he claims he used doesn't exist

back in the days of slot-2 flashcarts there were programs that converted .nds games into .nds.gba to be compatible with them

you need a Lite with the 3-in-1 and exploader, or just buy a DSTwo

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
back in the days of slot-2 flashcarts there were programs that converted .nds games into .nds.gba to be compatible with them

No, it's .nds.gba (homebrew) that had to be renamed to .nds and patched.

darkinertia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
Ziko said:
whatever he claims he used doesn't exist

you need a Lite with the 3-in-1 and exploader, or just buy a DSTwo

lol i figured no one would believe me, but i swear all i remember doing is downloading a program that turned the gba rom into a ds rom, and itll show up on r4 wood as a gba for the icon, i start it up, it shows a dos prompt style screen where it loads it and it runs...and if i would upload a link of it if i wouldnt get in trouble lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over