Hacking How to run GBA/DSi games?

Naridar

Excelsior!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi everyone! Sorry if the question is noobish or if it's already answered somewhere. The thing is, I'd like to play CIA format GBA/DSiWare games on my 3DS, and don't really know where to start/whether I have the requirements for any particular method.

Here's what I have access to:
- A 3DS with system firmware 4.5 (EU), I'm strongly against updating its' system firmware.
- A Gateway 3DS card (v3.3) with EmuNAND 9.9 installed, with the ability to install CIAs, savedatafiler, and bigbluemenu installed
- Legit cartridges of Super Mario 3D land, Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon Y (all EU). The first 2 can be run on the system firmware. OoT3D is still very expensive and wouldn't be worth it for me, I might be able to find Cubic Ninja really cheap but it's sold out everywhere...

Can anyone point me to some method, tutorial or somesuch to get GBA/DSi games running? I have tried installing AGB_FIRM CIA under emunand but to no avail.

SpencerlyEverly

Spencer Everly
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
RxTools can run DsiWare and GBA. It's just that you need to install them into SysNAND as well in order for them to work.

As for Gateway... It doesn't work. :( Not unless I tell them to fix it like that way on their mail, but that's it for now.

DSiWare and GBA games can be found on the warez site (Not linking though, sorry).

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RxTools can run DsiWare and GBA. It's just that you need to install them into SysNAND as well in order for them to work.

As for Gateway... It doesn't work. :( Not unless I tell them to fix it like that way on their mail, but that's it for now.

DSiWare and GBA games can be found on the warez site (Not linking though, sorry).
You can use the gateway blue card to emulate...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So how do you use the blue card to emulate?? Should the blue card be played in the DS??
The gateway blue cart can only play DS games and maybe Gameboy, SNES etc. it can't play GBA games or at least not to a playable standard. To play GBA games off a cart you would need a Supercard DSTwo. But you can just use rxTools like the first replier said and not buy anything more.

Reactions: Margen67

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Update, it works but you have re install Gateway through the blue cart again which is just a few button presses no biggie.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Why would you emulate GBA when the 3DS has native hardware (i.e. dedicated CPU) that can run those games natively? rxTools all the way. With a sticky MSET so that you don't have to reinstall it every time.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Naridar

Excelsior!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I see. rxTools it'll be then, restarting the 3DS to switch between playing GBA and using Gateway isn't too big of a price.)

Thanks everyone.

blaaah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi-jacking this thread because my question is similar.

I've got an N3DS with emuNAND and ReiNand. If I want to play GBA games using the Virtual Console, do I have to install the patched AGB_FIRM to both sysNAND and emuNAND? Do I have to install games to both sysNAND and emuNAND?

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi-jacking this thread because my question is similar.

I've got an N3DS with emuNAND and ReiNand. If I want to play GBA games using the Virtual Console, do I have to install the patched AGB_FIRM to both sysNAND and emuNAND? Do I have to install games to both sysNAND and emuNAND?

Yes, RxTools is the best option for playing GBA. The sysnand and emunand have to be linked to do so and yes you have to install on both nands.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I was waiting for GW to fix the GBA Support but over a year later I guess that Isn't happening .. you sure your emunan is unlinked? If So .. I will try it myself.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
  • "Can i play GBA or DS/DSi games on rxtools?
    • Yes, in both emuNand and sysNand. The only issue is that to make those apps playable on emuNand you need to install them in sysNand too, or have your Nands linked."
From rxtools thread. I guess either method works. Gba support on gateway... I find it terrible.

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I want play gba games and continue using my gateway card for play .3ds roms.

I have o3ds firm 4.4, I need 2 sd cards to install rxtools?

or which steps need to do?

Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Does it make a difference which NAND I actually play the games in? Do signature checks have to be disabled for them to work?

No it doesn't matter which one you use to launch the game. I would say the 'true' location of the GBA game is on the system nand, because when i launch from Reinand the save and everything is the same as when I launch from Pasta. And I was using Pasta before Reinand even came out.

Yes, you'll want your signature checks disabled. If the game doesnt appear for some reason youll want to use the Free Multi Patcher. Launch app, press start, close lid and reopen.

Last edited by Link'sSpiritualAwakening,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them