How to record DS games

Recording DS games.

This guide will show you how to record gameplay from a DS game using an emulator on your PC.
You will be able to save the video on your computer and upload it on Youtube or another video-sharing site.

Installing the emulator.[/p][*]First you need to download DeSmuME.
download.gif
DeSmuME v0.9.7 for Windows
download.gif
DeSmuME v0.9.6 for Mac OSX
download.gif
DeSmuME v0.9.6 for Linux
If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, I suggest you download from here.

[*]Extract the file. Open "DeSmuME.exe" to run the emulator.

Recording the DS game using DeSmuMe.
[/p][*]Open "DeSmuME.exe" and go into the file menu and select 'Open ROM'.
desmume%20file%20menu.PNG

[*]Obtain a DS game file either by dumping it yourself or finding a ROM online.

[*]Browse and select a DS game. Once the game you want to record is running, open the file menu again. Select 'Record AVI' and then select a place to save the video file.
RECORD%20AVI%20DESmume.PNG

[*]While recording, go into the 'View' menu, select 'HUD and then select 'Display FPS'. The FPS (frames per second) should be shown. There will also be a '3D' counter that tells how often the game you are playing is updating its 3D graphics. The latter has nothing to do with your PC setup.
desmume%20fps.PNG

[*]DeSmuME will now be recording the game. To stop recording, go into the File menu and select 'Stop AVI'. The video should appear in the save location you selected. Upload the video to a video-sharing site such as YouTube. Look below for an example of the videos you can record using DeSmuMe.
Depending on your system setup, there may be some slowdown.

[title:DeSmuMe Test Video][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFClZZx9a7o[/youtube]

Reactions: GammaGeorgeX
D

Deleted_171835

OP
RoboticBuddy said:
Maybe you can add something about FPS?
Are you referring to the speed of the emulation?

If so, I'll add it as the guide is quite short already.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Uuwuwu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I prefer using Camtasia when I record anything on an emulator (particularly with DeSmuME, it's slow without recording anything and it's worse if you use the recording system of the emulator), but it's still a good tutorial.
smile.gif

Lights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to know how to make it so you only record the top screen:

Step 1: Download Camtasia Studio

Step 2: Drag and drop the recorded file into Camtasia Studio

Step 3: It should ask what you want to import it as, choose "Web 640x480" and uncheck "Keep Aspect Ratio"

Step 3: Click "Zoom-N-Pan"

Step 4: A new screen should pop up and in it there should be a box that says "Scale", on this change the scale from "100%" to "250%" and then the small box that allows you to change where you want the view of the screen should change in size and move it to the top screen it should be a perfect fit.

Step 5: Then you can press "File" > "Produce and Share" > "Share to Youtube" and it will begin uploading to Youtube!

If you enjoy Pokemon gameplays you can check out my channel here

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Sylar- said:
I would add Camtasia to the tutorial but you have to pay for it.

As for the alternative, Camstudio, there are a number of problems recording audio from the speakers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over