Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Put Your Wii in Maintenance Mode

How To Put Your Wii in Maintenance Mode

Step 1: Turn on your Wii.

Step 2: While at the Health Warning Screen, hold the + and - buttons on your Wii remote then proceed to press A.

Step 3: Your Wii is now in Maintenance Mode, a confirmation message should pop up confirming this.

NOTE: In order to exit Maintenance Mode, restart your Wii.

Now, what does this enable? Nothing, but it might be useful to some people. It might help with bricks, or some Wii Menu error in the future. The only changes that have been discovered so far is that it prevents you from using the Wii Message Board, and block you from changing your Home Country.

mthrnitesmiley.gif

Reactions: SaulFabre

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It can be useful in the case of a Mail Brick. Because it disables the message board, I believe you can boot up the Wii like this and format it in settings to fix it, if you have no other way to fix it. I don't know of any homebrew that can delete messages, so the only other solution is restoring a NAND dump with BootMii/boot2. For newer Wiis, Maintenance Mode>Format is the only solution to these bricks AFAIK. Possibly using FSToolbox to install a "clean" message archive would work, not sure. Also not sure how you'd get a clean message archive, maybe if you deleted it the SM would generate a new one? Dunno...But if this did work, you'd need to use Maintenance Mode to access the SM to load HBC most likely.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
For newer Wiis, Maintenance Mode>Format is the only solution to these bricks AFAIK.
What is wrong with using [Priiloader -> Homebrew Channel -> BootMii -> restore nand]?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mantis41 said:
SifJar said:
For newer Wiis, Maintenance Mode>Format is the only solution to these bricks AFAIK.
What is wrong with using [Priiloader -> Homebrew Channel -> BootMii -> restore nand]?
Restoring a NAND dump with BootMii/IOS is HIGHLY inadvisable due to the fact that if something were to go wrong, your Wii is permanently and irreparably bricked. (Unless you have a NAND reprogrammer). Hence it is not allowed in BootMii/IOS without entering the Konami code.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Mantis41 said:
SifJar said:
Restoring a NAND dump with BootMii/IOS is HIGHLY inadvisable due to the fact that if something were to go wrong, your Wii is permanently and irreparably bricked. (Unless you have a NAND reprogrammer). Hence it is not allowed in BootMii/IOS without entering the Konami code.
Seems a bit over cautious to me. Any piece of IT equipment has the same risk, it doesn't matter if it is a printer, graphics card or a lap top. If the firmware update screws up the item is quite often not recoverable

Edit, I'm guessing the only way to do this is via a game cube controller.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I saw this on WikiHow
wink.gif
almost similar to it is your Tutorial.

It blocks one more thing other than Wii Message Board btw:-

Home Country

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
I saw this on WikiHow
wink.gif
almost similar to it is your Tutorial.

It blocks one more thing other than Wii Message Board btw:-

Home Country

Heh. Never heard of it. I accidentally stumbled upon it a couple years ago. I updated it with your information. So you can't change your Home Country?

idcwhat3v3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also can't change WiiConnect24 settings in maintenance mode. (Tried on Dolphin, 4.3U, it said "This can't be used in maintenance mode.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning