Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using NeoGamma or PostLoader instead. What brand is your SD card?
Its a Transcend card. And yes, NeoGamma worked perfect!

Oh well, guess I have to wait and see whats up with Wiiflow, even though I am using their latest build.

Thanks for the info Joostin!

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cool thanks for the info, which game region is it and which region is your wii? I can may fix the problem then :)

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool thanks for the info, which game region is it and which region is your wii? I can may fix the problem then :)
If you're talking about my problem FIX, my Wii and Zelda Collector's Edition are both USA region.

Thanks for the great work FIX. :)

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep I do, lucky I have a copy laying around somewhere so I can take a look at it, and I have component cables too ;)
edit:
Strange works just fine here, game asked for progressive mode, activated properly and everything works just fine... You could try to enable force NTSC in the game settings, maybe it doesnt detect it properly for some reason...

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep I do, lucky I have a copy laying around somewhere so I can take a look at it, and I have component cables too ;)
edit:
Strange works just fine here, game asked for progressive mode, activated properly and everything works just fine... You could try to enable force NTSC in the game settings, maybe it doesnt detect it properly for some reason...
When you say "force NTSC" you mean select NTSC under video settings correct? I had Auto-Patch on originally so I won't have problems with my PAL Wii games. Tried NTSC and I still have the same problem.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, could you test these dols?
http://www.mediafire...zxlzoup37y65lne
The first does the same as wiiflow, the second one doesnt clear pal60 flag, the third one uses the video mode from your tv, and the last one doesn't patch at all.
Ok...

Just of note, I have not tried playing the game yet (neither on Neogamma), but all 4 of these dols loaded my game fine. :blink: So the only thing that hasn't loaded the game for me, is the latest Wiiflow Mod. Any other settings that could be causing the problem on my end?

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Delete your wiiflow/settings and wiiflow.ini and try again, it should work fine then.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete your wiiflow/settings and wiiflow.ini and try again, it should work fine then.
Just deleted my entire settings folder and wiiflow.ini. The funny thing is, this time I was able to download the cover for my Gamecube game without Wiiflow mod crashing, but it still doesn't work. Tried playing with the video settings again, but I still can't get it to run.

Quick question: I have an apps folder for Wiiflow and a separate apps folder for Wiiflow mod. Should I kill one of those app folders? Or, should I just blow out my entire Wiiflow folder and start from scratch?

EDIT: Fixed with latest Wiiflow build r175. :D

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
You have to use DiscEx
That's not correct, you only need discex for sneek/uneek. For usb loaders you can also just place the iso into sd:/games/gameid/game.iso.
Oh, cool, that will help me save some space not having to back up a DiskEx copy and an original copy.
Does it work the other way around? Is there any issue with taking game.iso and burning it to a disk and using it with a cMIOS?

EDIT: Fixed with latest Wiiflow build r175. :D
I know previous versions of WiiFlow had some screen resolution issues with some games when using anything later than DML r21. I REALLY need to get around to actually installing r175 and checking it out.
That "TV looses it's input signal" thing does sound like a region changing issue and I know you have both a USA wii and game but it's interesting ... even the PAL Zelda Collector's addition is a 60hz ONLY game. I wonder if that may be related ... just interesting, though. Glad you got it to work.

koolking97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i got every thing working but only one game shows up on the loader no matter what i do the only game their is animal crossing

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
i am using the latest versions of wiiflow and postloader and gx
I'm no expert but I use WiiFlow so I'll answer for that one.
As long as you're using something NEWER than r418 you can refresh the list of installed games by just pressing on the configuration button. (On r418 you will have to go in and delete the "/wiiflow/cashe/lists" folder to force it to refresh them.)

If the problem persists, the real newer versions of WiiFlow can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/open-wiiflow-mod/downloads/list
There has been some confusion as to which version is actually farther along. These actually have more features at the moment.

koolking97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i am using the latest versions of wiiflow and postloader and gx
I'm no expert but I use WiiFlow so I'll answer for that one.
As long as you're using something NEWER than r418 you can refresh the list of installed games by just pressing on the configuration button. (On r418 you will have to go in and delete the "/wiiflow/cashe/lists" folder to force it to refresh them.)

If the problem persists, the real newer versions of WiiFlow can be found here: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
There has been some confusion as to which version is actually farther along. These actually have more features at the moment.

thanks i got it working by downloading covers form the settings on Wii flow

Zepphia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you load cheats for DML gamecube games using Wiiflow? I've been looking around the web for a few days and haven't been able to find anything.
I've tried setting up a txt file with the game ID (sd:/wiiflow/codes) but nothing appears in the individual game settings.

Edit: Solved. I used wiiflow mod r203.

hvy109

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users