How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Eireusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thank you for your reply maxternal. I used modmii and i got some errors downloading they said some of the files are not online at the moment. but the redirected me to this site http://www.hacksden....Softmod-ANY-Wii and i updated my wii from there. not to go off this treads topic my question is would i have a clean BC v6 or can i download it from another source. sorry if some of my questions don't make sense new to all this but thanks again sorry for not explaining my self properly but i updated my wii about a week ago.So i was just wandering if the BC v6 would be among them updates it was a complete update. So if not can i get it elsewhere. THANKS

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
thank you for your reply maxternal. I used modmii and i got some errors downloading they said some of the files are not online at the moment. but the redirected me to this site http://www.hacksden....Softmod-ANY-Wii and i updated my wii from there. not to go off this treads topic my question is would i have a clean BC v6 or can i download it from another source. sorry if some of my questions don't make sense new to all this but thanks again sorry for not explaining my self properly but i updated my wii about a week ago.So i was just wandering if the BC v6 would be among them updates it was a complete update. So if not can i get it elsewhere. THANKS
- You can get BCv6 through NUS Downloader (Which is what ModMii uses to do it, actually).
- ModMii was having server problems up until about 4 hours ago ( :hrth: finally fixed) so if you wanted to try again it should work now.
- If by updating, you mean you updated to 4.3 then yes, you would now have a clean BC v6 since v6 is included in that update
(Also, 4.3 installs some things that replace parts of some softmods so if you actually haven't already updated it's not recommended and it would be preferable to just get the BC v6 WAD and install it that way. If you already updated and it later starts giving you problems just go through ModMii (now :toot: working) as if you had never softmodded the Wii and it should fix anything that the guide you mentioned above may not have fixed.)

Eireusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- You can get BCv6 through NUS Downloader (Which is what ModMii uses to do it, actually).
- ModMii was having server problems up until about 4 hours ago ( :hrth: finally fixed) so if you wanted to try again it should work now.
- If by updating, you mean you updated to 4.3 then yes, you would now have a clean BC v6 since v6 is included in that update
(Also, 4.3 installs some things that replace parts of some softmods so if you actually haven't already updated it's not recommended and it would be preferable to just get the BC v6 WAD and install it that way. If you already updated and it later starts giving you problems just go through ModMii (now :toot: working) as if you had never softmodded the Wii and it should fix anything that the guide you mentioned above may not have fixed.)

Thanks for your reply,
I did'nt update to 4.3 it just said to do this to update my ios and things like that if that makes sense i'm still on 4.1 and i'm going to get the wad and install it that way thanks a lot for
your help.cheers

Eireusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
O;k got the wad from here RVL-bc-v6.wad and i will install it with WAD_Manger_1.5_GUI if that all seems o k? i will post back and let you's no just incase it might help other people so thanks to all for this great thread.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
O;k got the wad from here http://det1re.de/d/i...php?dir=wads%2F RVL-bc-v6.wad and i will install it with WAD_Manger_1.5_GUI if that all seems o k? i will post back and let you's no just incase it might help other people so thanks to all for this great thread.
You might want to remove that link. Official Nintendo WADS are copyrighted content and we can't link to those here.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
O;k got the wad from here (link deleted) RVL-bc-v6.wad and i will install it with WAD_Manger_1.5_GUI if that all seems o k? i will post back and let you's no just incase it might help other people so thanks to all for this great thread.
Yup, that WAD manager should do the trick.
If it doesn't you could always use MMM or some other WAD manager that uses AHBPROT (not sure if the GUI one does) or lets you choose which IOS to load.

And definitely agree with [member='Arras'] there. It would be preferable to remove the link yourself instead of a mod finding it and removing it for you. Just a friendly heads up.

EDIT : OOPS, I forgot that I had quoted the link, too. ([member='arras'] too) :ha:

Reactions: 1 person

Eireusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
O;k got the wad from here http://det1re.de/d/i...php?dir=wads%2F RVL-bc-v6.wad and i will install it with WAD_Manger_1.5_GUI if that all seems o k? i will post back and let you's no just incase it might help other people so thanks to all for this great thread.
Yup, that WAD manager should do the trick.
If it doesn't you could always use MMM or some other WAD manager that uses AHBPROT (not sure if the GUI one does) or lets you choose which IOS to load.

And definitely agree with [member='Arras'] there. It would be preferable to remove the link yourself instead of a mod finding it and removing it for you. Just a friendly heads up.

sorry about the link had no idea it was such a big deal. sorry again

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
maxternal said:
/snip ... (RE-quoted link removed)
sorry about the link had no idea it was such a big deal. sorry again
That's okay. Now you know. I think it's just to keep the site from getting in trouble and being destroyed like megaupload :P

(Also, I just realized that both [member='arras'] and I quoted the link when telling you to remove it and so actually recreated it ... how silly of us :lol: )

Reactions: 1 person

Eireusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Removed that link guys. Everything went well guys, should i start the step by step process at the start of this thread now? done step one 2 days ago got a web page telling me not to upgrade to 4.3 or does it just say that on that page

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Remove that link guys. Everything went well guys, should i start the step by step process at the start of this thread now? done step one 2 days ago got a web page telling me not to upgrade to 4.3 or does it just say that on that page
Sure, go right ahead and finish the process. Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck (Or I think there are another 2 DM(L) tutorials on the forum you can consult as well)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It will work if I use my SD Card? I just wonder if there is way to use sd card.
Yes, there is. You have to install DML (Dios Mios Lite) insted of just DM (Dios Mios). The newest DML, at least, is available on the same download page as DM. DML is SD only like DM is USB only and you can only have one or the other installed on real NAND at a time.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I already does that before. But I want use gc iso. I test it and it wont work to load. It just froze.
How long ago did you try? The first DML 2.2 that was put on the site didn't work. Crediar fixed it about a week and a half ago and the fixed version of v2.2 is available now.

Also, just like DM doesn't like some hard drives, DML doesn't like some SD cards. If that's the case and it just isn't compatible with your SD card, you need to install DML r59 or earlier (back before they had that problem). You can get the latest one here http://www.mediafire.com/?qk17b9hubiki4v7 Just run "create_wad.bat" to create the WAD to install. You will have to change the boot method setting in the loader to use this older version, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr