How to make a legit-looking Virtual Console icon [Wii U/3DS]

Step 1: Download one of these images - these are your templates.

3dsicon.png
3DS
wiiuicon.png
Wii U

Step 2: Open the image in a image editing tool with layers. I recommend paint.net.

Step 3: Get an image of the game's title screen. I'll use Super Smash Bros. Melee, a game obviously not available for either system, as my icon.

melee.png

Step 4: This step varies slightly between systems.
Open your template in your image editing program, and make another layer behind it. Now, open your title screen separately from the template. Now, you'll want to resize the title screen image. If there's an option, keep the aspect ratio of the image.
For 3DS, you'll resize it to a height (or width) of 40px.
For Wii U, you'll resize to a width of 122px, or a height of 92px.
Then, you'll copy and paste the resized image into the layer below the template and align it with the empty space. Merge the layers into one and save the image as a .png, or if you plan to use this for Loadiine, save it as iconTex.tga.

Here's what they turned out like!
3dsicon.png

wiiuicon.png

Step 5: Insert the image into anywhere - a 3DS banner maker, a Loadiine meta folder, or anywhere else that you could use a custom VC icon.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice. :)
Thanks for the templates!

One question, what image editor do you use to resize the image?
I usually get bad quality when I resize it to a low resolution, that's why I'm asking. :P

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. :)
Thanks for the templates!

One question, what image editor do you use to resize the image?
I usually get bad quality when I resize it to a low resolution, that's why I'm asking. :P
I use paint.net, and resize with Best Quality and Keep Aspect Ratio.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you have a decrypted CIA... Decompile the banner files using @Asia81 Hackpack and open its files using Ohana3DS Mod. Extract the images and edit them to your liking, then reimport. I'll do an more in depth tutorial later today if anyone is interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.